Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,420 members, 7,839,817 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

He Almost Killed That Camry Hybrid Ecvt - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / He Almost Killed That Camry Hybrid Ecvt (1057 Views)

My 2002 Highlander Lost Control Almost Killed Me / Please Help..converting Toyota Camry Hybrid To Regular Gas / Hybrid-electric Vehicles: Ask Mymotong (prius, Honda Insight, Camry Hybrid...) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

He Almost Killed That Camry Hybrid Ecvt by TRYGO(m): 10:15pm On Aug 24, 2017
INTRODUCTION
Hey, everyone! Its being a long time over here.
Terribly sorry for the long absence.
It's being due to some....., emmmm, hope you guys figure out what I'm trying to saying? But if you don't, its not important right now. What's important is that I'm (or we are back online).

From the heading, I'm not referring to someone trying to murder someone, but emmmm, its just....

Some of you might wonder what "eCVT" means, as seen in the heading above.

Well, eCVT means electronic continuous variable transmission.

Because of it's tremendous increased fuel economy, and reduced cost of production parts(internal gear mechanisms, such as the planetary, and in some cases, sun gears), almost all the major vehicle manufacturers, have in their design considerations, incorporated such a system in their hybrid or non hybrid vehicles.

Other advantages of such a transmission system has being the seamless gear selections; increased fuel economy, etc.

One of the things that could damaged an eCVT system, is the use of wrong transmission fluids.

So, WHAT TRANSMISSION FLUID SHOULD BE USED?

The specifications for transmission fluid for any transmission system, varies according to vehicle manufacturers.

Toyota, since we're dealing with a Toyota Camry, or any other hybrid vehicle made by Toyota, have specified the use of Toyota WS transmission fluids, for its hybrid vehicles.

Doing otherwise, would jeopardize the efficiency of the transmission system.

If you're in thought about the transmission fluid to use for your car, please always refer to your owners manual, or Google search it online, for specifications. Doing that, would save you the pains of paying over the nose, to have a transmission system repaired/replaced.

Transmission systems don't just go bad.
They are components that could stand the test of time.

If a transmission system develops some kind of fault, it could be any of the following:

1. Wrong fluid usage
2. Late replacement of old transmission fluid
3. Procedural errors during installations
4. Owner driveability problems

The first (1) one is the major cause of such failures, in both a conventional(petrol powered) and non conventional(hybrid) cars.

HOW DO YOU IDENTIFY A GENUINE WS FLUID

I'm not in any way affiliated to Toyota, or any of its dealership. But would do my best to point out some tale signs.

¶¶¶¶¶ These points may not hold true DLR some people though.
The important thing is the right fluid should be procured. ¶¶¶¶¶

** Original WS transmission fluid comes from the USA, or Japan. At least, the ones I have purchases and used.

The USA only sells those fluids in 1L cans.

**Look at the finishings on the container. Any ....on the designs, you know you're buying something that isn't original.

***Tempered covers. The 4L fluid, cones with a flat funnel like plastic, attached to its cork for ease of use as a funnel during refilling.
I'd that plastic is not there, do not buy it, no matter how cheap it might cost.

**I do not patronised other brands of "Toyota" branded, or alternative WS transmission fluids.

Most people do patronized them though, because of the low price involved.
But at the long run, the cost of repairs/replacement would definitely outweigh the initial benefits.

Isn't that what happens when we decide to get our cars fixed at a low price, and in the end, what we had budgeted for some projects in future, is spent on the same repairs/replacement?

HOW DO YOU KNOW THE TRANSMISSION FLUID IN TOUR HYBRID CAR MIGHT BE OUT OF SPECS?

There isn't a magic wand, in finding this out.
If you've got the facility, that can be done by getting a sample of the transmission fluid, and sending it to a laboratory for analysis.

Because of the cost of analysis, and all that involved, car owners are reluctant to embark on such a move.

The next one would be to always be observant, during driving.

***check for any DELAYED, OR SLUGGISH ENGAGEMENT***.

ARE SUCH TRANSMISSION SYSTEMS REPAIRABLE?

Yes, they are.
Since they do not have a lot of moving parts, their major components are just the two electric motors(MG1 and MG 2), responsible for starting, driving, and recharging the hybrid pack.

These components do burn out/wear out, if you wish, because of the excessive heat the motors generate during those cycles.

That the major reason, Toyota routes some of its radiator/inverter coolants to the transmission system.

Coolants(Long lasting) and the transmission fluids, acts as good heat conductors for the motors.

Using other coolants, might temporarily work, but the ability of the coolants used to dissipate heat from the electric motors, would have to be taken in to account.

CONCLUSION

Seamlessly driving your car, is some what cool.
But using the wrong transmission fluid on it, would definitely bring you the results you(and perhaps,), your pocket wouldn't like.
Patronised trusted brands, and ensure you "microscopically" look at what you're buying.

CASE STUDY

Vehicle type: Camry sedan

Model year: 08

Engine configuration: 4cylinder

Transmission type: eCVT(electronic continuous variable transmission).

Mileage: 178,000miles

COMPLIANT

Car was imported into the country(Nigeria), from the USA, as a used car, and ever since it was delivered by the dealer to me in Lagos, its had this DELAYED, OR SLUGGISH ENGAGEMENT WHEN ITS IN REVERSE (R).

OUR STRATEGY

1. Trying to understand the customer's complaint.
*What times and scenarios does this problem occurs?
Clients reply: Almost immediately R is engaged.

*Simulated the problem, and got the issue.
NB: This is almost similar to problems you experienced on regular cars.

2. Have you replaced the transmission fluid before Sir?
Yes, I have.

3.What sort of fluid was used in that process?
Well, the guy that brought the car down to Lagos said they bought Abro fluid.

Remember, Abro/Seahorse, and Holt are Dextron II/III fluids, that aren't compatible with eCVT systems.

4. There and then, we knew where the problem was coming from(wrong transmission fluid has bring dumped into the system).

EXECUTION OF THE JOB

EMPHASIS SHOULD BE ON SAFETY

Replacing this fluid can be performed by anyone who's tech savvy.

But if you aren't confident about embarking on such, do please consult your "doctor" before ...days.

So sorry for delving into medicals. Was just for some fun guys!

1. Get the car parked on a level surface

2. Choke the rear tyres

3. Properly position a hydraulic jack, and jack the front end, or the driver side.
This would provide more access to underneath the car.

4. Drained the existing transmission fluid from the system after unbolting the drain bolt using an Allen wrench, in to a catch pan.

5. Refilled the transmission system using the recommended WS transmission fluid(4L), using a pump funnel, and a small diameter hose, to direct the fluid straight to the transmission refill hole at the rear top of the transmission.

6. Started the engine, and allowed the fluid to warm before engaging all the gear levels to observe how they engage.

RESULTS

At the end of the service, everything was perfect.

¶¶¶¶Considering carrying out similar service on your car, do give us a call.

Regards,
Joseph
08066643532(WhatsApp/calls)
Twitter: @dw_nig

(1) (Reply)

How To Clean Corroded Car Battery With Coca Cola / Returning My 03 Corolla LE To New / Truck Lovers: Get Ready For The 2019 Ford F-150

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.