Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,601 members, 7,823,610 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

Help Needed With My Compaq Presario 1200 Notebook (ethernet Cable?) - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help Needed With My Compaq Presario 1200 Notebook (ethernet Cable?) (2784 Views)

Right Order Wiring Ethernet Cable With Rj45 Plugs: / Dell Inspiron 600m Ethernet Controller/lan Driver / Where Can I Get Airlive Wh5400cpe Ethernet Radio/antenna To Buy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Needed With My Compaq Presario 1200 Notebook (ethernet Cable?) by gillan(m): 10:35pm On Feb 12, 2007
Hi i'm new to this to please be patiant, thanks!
Ok 'The problem' smiley
I am currently running my own business and have purchaced a COMPAQ PRESARIO 1200 notebook 4GB.
In the same room I have a wireless internet laptop and a desktop pc running from a 'NETGEAR 54MBPS WIRELESS ADSL FIREWALL ROUTER' 'DG834G' .The thing is I'm wanting to hook my compaq presario 1200 to the same router via a wireless card! I do have a NETGEAR 32-bit cardbus WG511 card installed and this is running fine, it seems like it has found the router and has 100% signal strength which is fine!
Once I had installed the wireless card I was told to install the router buy running the disk that was provided. The disk ran fine and up it came! I then had to install the assistant yet this page wouldnt load and i would get the 'This Page Cannot Be Displayed' message which got me thinking, hence trying to find out why this wouldnt run! I then found that it may be the flash that needed to be installed yet this page wouldnt load either and displayed the same message.
I was told i needed to buy a cat5e ethernet network cable?? So i did and found that the connection to teh router just didnt fit!!? undecided

From this I think i need someone who would be able to provide me with all info needed for this process to work as it has become very stressfull trying to get it right, so ill leave it up to the professionals (you)

I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP - SORRY IF THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN COVERED BEFORE IN MUCH NEED OF HELP!
THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME!, BEST REGARDS, GILLAN
smiley
Re: Help Needed With My Compaq Presario 1200 Notebook (ethernet Cable?) by Cactus(m): 11:03pm On Feb 12, 2007
If you are running Internet Explorer, if it is version 6 the instructions below are okay if it is version 7 I don't use IE so i am not sure where to find them but you should be able to look around somewhere.

try doing this

a) Open the Internet Options applet located in your Control Panel (Control Panel > Internet Options )
b) Adjust your "Auto-detection" settings: click on the "Connections" tab, then click LAN settings and clear any checkmark next to "Auto detect settings". (If you have a Proxy configured here, the program will not function properly. Try connecting directly to the Internet and not a proxy server.)
c) On the "General" tab: click "Settings" for "Temporary Internet Files" and change "Check for newer versions of stored pages" to "Every visit to the page" and click OK.
d) Next, select "Delete Files" for Temporary Internet Files and check "Delete all offline content" and click OK.
e) On the "Security" tab, change your "Internet Zone" settings to "Medium".
f) On the "Privacy" tab, change your settings to "Medium".
f) After making these changes, click OK to close the Internet Options dialog box.

Restart your computer and try again.

or

On a serious note u don't need to install any software using the router cd. just use your windows to manage your wireless internet configs once the driver for the wireless card is installed you're good to go which u say is working fine.

Go to Control Panel > Network Connections > right click on your wireless network card and click on properties

Go to the Network connection tab and Make sure Use windows to configure my wireless connection is checked ( or a statement similar to that am too lazy to check it)

You can restore your intenet explorer settings once you're done
good luck
Re: Help Needed With My Compaq Presario 1200 Notebook (ethernet Cable?) by gillan(m): 11:48pm On Feb 12, 2007
thanks for the reply much appreciated!, i have done all you said, restarting my computer just as we speak!
I only had abit if trouble finding the network places as the laptop is running on windows ME i think thats what the problem was! my only worry is that the wireless card is now flashing green where as before it was on a steady green, hmmm it hasnt worked iv clicked on internet explorer and the same message came up!
The thing it dont understand is that it says - Tiscalli is my internet provider, does this matter? i mean it is aol i am trying to run not tiscalli!
Re: Help Needed With My Compaq Presario 1200 Notebook (ethernet Cable?) by Cactus(m): 11:52pm On Feb 12, 2007
trying changing your workgroup.

right click on MY COMPUTER and click on PROPERTIES

go to COMPUTER NAME tab

click on CHANGE

try setting it to WORKGROUP if it the workgroup that is already there then try MSHOME

restart the computer

good luck
Re: Help Needed With My Compaq Presario 1200 Notebook (ethernet Cable?) by gillan(m): 12:37am On Feb 13, 2007
ok i will try that! , i hope to hear from you soon seeing that your offline, thanks alot for the help, i will fill you in tomorrow on how im getting along!
cheers, gillan

(1) (Reply)

Any help on differences between Huawei & ZTE Modems? / DELETED / Just Talk And Let Your Pc Type For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.