Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,272 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:11 AM

What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? (2271 Views)

What Message Is Tinubu Trying To Send Across To Nigerians? / People's Reactions To ASUU Strike In Funny Meme Collection / Mary Folafoluwa Oginni, Best Student In WAEC Who Left Nigeria Due To ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by Desyner: 1:37am On Aug 28, 2017
What does the news of Dangote's plan to establish a university with a war chest of N200B mean for ASUU and FG?
For me, It means the end of Nigerian public uni system is near because there will be no hiding place for the public schools.

Link
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by haconjy(m): 9:10am On Aug 28, 2017
hummm
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 28, 2017
How many nigerians wud be able to afford ir or how many students can it take. Pls dey use ur brain. There are over 1.3m applicants every year only about 350 get absorbed

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by Nobody: 11:32am On Aug 28, 2017
Desyner:
What does the news of Dangote's plan to establish a university with a war chest of N200B mean for ASUU and FG?
For me, It means the end of Nigerian public uni system is near because there will be no hiding place for the public schools.

Link
How is it the end of public universities when an average Nigerian can't afford a private university?
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by Desyner: 11:39am On Aug 28, 2017
Rorachy:
How is it the end of public universities when an average Nigerian can't afford a private university?
You can argue the existence of the public unis but you and I know that the private unis are speedily leaving their public counterparts behind. The only attraction of public unis is cheap fee. Once private unis start recovering capital and start reducing cost there will be no hiding place.
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by Nobody: 11:43am On Aug 28, 2017
Desyner:
You can argue the existence of the public unis but you and I know that the private unis are speedily leaving their public counterparts behind. The only attraction of public unis is cheap fee. Once private unis start recovering capital and start reducing cost there will be no hiding place.
Looking at it from an economic view, private universities are owned by private individuals who sole aim is to make profit unlike the public counterparts that is owned by the government.

Private universities are profit oriented and you don't expect them to reduce their tuition fees just like that, public universities can reduce their tuition fees because these public enterprises are not really profit oriented rather they are aimed at providing social benefits to the Nigeria populace.
So far we are not operating in a market economy, there will always be public universities that are functioning.

4 Likes

Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by Desyner: 12:00pm On Aug 28, 2017
Rorachy:
Looking at it from an economic view, private universities are owned by private individuals who sole aim is to make profit unlike the public counterparts that is owned by the government.

Private universities are profit oriented and you don't expect them to reduce their tuition fees just like that, public universities can reduce their tuition fees because these public enterprises are not really profit oriented rather they are aimed at providing social benefits to the Nigeria populace.
So far we are not operating in a market economy, there will always be public universities that are functioning.
You are extremely ignorant about the economic motive of private and public unis.
Contrary to the bold, it is public unis that are profit oriented in Nigeria. You have corrupt VCs and senate approving questionable fees, lecturers too aren't left out with extortion.
On the other hand, private unis are owed by bodies and person who are looking to give back. Oyedepo, Adeboye, Catholic, Dangote etc are people who are passionate about giving back to the society. You don't expect them to subsidize the full cost of running the schools. By the way how much does FG spend on the public uni graduate per annum per graduate?
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Aug 28, 2017
Desyner:
You are extremely ignorant about the economic motive of private and public unis.
Contrary to the bold, it is public unis that are profit oriented in Nigeria. You have corrupt VCs and senate approving questionable fees, lecturers too aren't left out with extortion.
On the other hand, private unis are owed by bodies and person who are looking to give back. Oyedepo, Adeboye, Catholic, Dangote etc are people who are passionate about giving back to the society. You don't expect them to subsidize the full cost of running the schools. By the way how much does FG spend on the public uni graduate per annum per graduate?
I think you are the ignorant one because these people you are calling their names are business men, if they are not in it to make profit, why can't their church members afford to send their children there since they are charity organization? How in the world are they giving back, an average Nigerian can't afford these exorbitant and outrageous fees.

How can you even say public universities are profit oriented? I pay 20k as tuition fee in my school from 100-finals, how is that profit compared to almost to 1m these private universities pay?

Who said there are no corrupt VCs in private universities that approve questionable exorbitant fees?

1 Like

Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by Desyner: 12:20pm On Aug 28, 2017
Rorachy:
I think you are the ignorant one because these people you are calling their names are business men, if they are not in it to make profit, why can't their church members afford to send their children there since they are charity organization? How in the world are they giving back, an average Nigerian can't afford these exorbitant and outrageous fees.

How can you even say public universities are profit oriented? I pay 20k as tuition fee in my school from 100-finals, how is that profit compared to almost to 1m these private universities pay?

Who said there are no corrupt VCs in private universities that approve questionable exorbitant fees?
Why didn't the FG that's a true charity subsidize fuel to N0.00 so the average Niger Delta man can be guaranteed fuel? Your logic stinks at best. Even if those schools charge N1,000 there will still be people who can't afford it. Does that make the school owners wicked? Never.
Why do you think private schools aren't on strike. Cos they shift the part of the burden they can't guaranty to carry to the students in form of higher fee. As a matter of fact, covenant uni charged less than 170k per annum in 2002. How much was the FG spending on the average public uni grad in 2002. How much please?
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by Desyner: 12:38pm On Aug 28, 2017
Rorachy:
I think you are the ignorant one because these people you are calling their names are business men, if they are not in it to make profit.
Why does Bill gates give out so much money seeing that he is a Business man? You make me laugh. People like you think they can blackmail the rich by holding on to logic and assumptions that paints them as greedy wicked people.
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by odoguma(m): 2:09pm On Aug 28, 2017
Are you out of school and in need of a short term job to make money before resumption. Look no further.
Iroko Tv is now recruiting for Offline Sales Agent who will sell their subscription vouchers to existing and new customer.
Basic Salary: 25K
On-Time target: 40 to 60K and above.
Application is by sending in CV to erecruiter@erecnigeria.com with the email subject "Offline Sales Agent - (Location) "

They now have openings for Offline Sales Agents in various locations in Lagos.

Locations include:

- Ikeja
- Victoria Island
- Surulere
- Lekki
- Alimosho
- Isolo/Okota
- Yaba
- Ajah
- Maryland
- Trade Fair/Alaba
- Iyana Ipaja/Idimu
- Ketu
- Ikorodu
- Apapa

Note: Successful applicant will be contacted via mail for interview.

1 Like

Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by eph12(m): 2:51pm On Aug 28, 2017
This is funny. Just last year, some students were pushed to private universities but they refused. With the current situation of the country, there will still be millions that can't afford private universities
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by avictor05: 5:19pm On Aug 28, 2017
how much will be the fees, it's better I invest it in a biz hoping to be a Dangote someday than go to school and looking for a good paying job someday.

see my signature.
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by iamchybs(m): 7:40pm On Aug 28, 2017
Desyner:

No matter how much u spend in a public university per session, u can't compare it with a private university na... Even if na Mother Theresa university.
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by DrayZee: 7:41pm On Aug 28, 2017
Rorachy:
I think you are the ignorant one because these people you are calling their names are business men, if they are not in it to make profit, why can't their church members afford to send their children there since they are charity organization ? How in the world are they giving back, an average Nigerian can't afford these exorbitant and outrageous fees.

If the government should increase that 20k to 70k and use it to develop your university, you'll be surprised how much better your university will become (Assuming no one steals the money).
In a bid to subsidize education in Nigeria, the government has succeeded in making the universities underfunded. And that's the cause of all this ASUU wahala. Lack of sufficient funds.

As for that your line up there, make a comprehensive research in the running costs for just electricity (24/7) in a standard university, and compare it to the total fees paid by those students in the "profit oriented" private universities.
You might be surprised how much they spend. Not to talk of paying workers salaries, expansion and maintenance.

They would be true idiots if they would decide to reduce the standard of their universities to nearly nothing, just to satisfy their "church members". They give scholarships to their members and that's enough. At least it will enable serious students to receive quality education.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by Desyner: 7:45pm On Aug 28, 2017
iamchybs:

No matter how much u spend in a public university per session, u can't compare it with a private university na... Even if na Mother Theresa university.
How much? Until you know it there is only little you can offer against private uni as argument.
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by DrayZee: 7:46pm On Aug 28, 2017
Desyner:
How much? Until you know it there is only little you can offer against private uni as argument.
Guy don't argue too much. These people never learn.
Just make your point and leave.
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by iamchybs(m): 7:48pm On Aug 28, 2017
Desyner:

How much is paid at the most expensive public university here and how much is paid at the cheapest private university you know of.
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by oceandive: 7:50pm On Aug 28, 2017
Desyner:

Mumu dey worry dis one
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by Desyner: 7:55pm On Aug 28, 2017
iamchybs:

How much is paid at the most expensive public university here and how much is paid at the cheapest private university you know of.
Irrelevant points and questions. When you know what govt pay as subsidy per public uni undergrad, then we can add it to what the students pay and get the 'irrelevant' difference you want to know.
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by iamchybs(m): 8:01pm On Aug 28, 2017
Desyner:
Irrelevant points and questions. When you know what govt pay as subsidy per public uni undergrad, then we can add it to what the students pay and get the 'irrelevant' difference you want to know.

Go and tell the government to stop paying na.
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by Desyner: 8:06pm On Aug 28, 2017
iamchybs:

Go and tell the government to stop paying na.
I am not the one telling them to stop, the govt is trying to on its own. Lautech and ASUU strike are there as examples.
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by Desyner: 8:09pm On Aug 28, 2017
avictor05:
how much will be the fees, it's better I invest it in a biz hoping to be a Dangote someday than go to school and looking for a good paying job someday.

see my signature.
You have a point though. Even business is gamble in Nigeria. Some grads earn as high as £650 per hour (£20,000+/month).
Re: What Message Does Dangote N200B University Send To ASUU? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Aug 28, 2017
Desyner:

What goes up never comes down. This saying holds very true in Nigeria and will remain so for the next 200 years. If you're dreaming of private unis reducing their fees my guy please wake up

(1) (Reply)

Current National Common Entrance Cut-off Marks Of All States / When A Skillful Cow Seizes Your Football / School Resumption: ASUU Is Selfish! Private Schools/varsities Should Better Spea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.