Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,084 members, 7,849,402 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 08:38 PM

Sharapova Great For Tennis, Deserves US Open Spot – King - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sharapova Great For Tennis, Deserves US Open Spot – King (243 Views)

Messi, Inter Miami CF 1-2 Houston Dynamo: Miami Lost US Open Cup Final / US Open 2018: Serena Williams Beats Sister Venus To Reach Fourth Round / 27/03/2018 Tuesday:free Betting Tips For Tennis Matches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sharapova Great For Tennis, Deserves US Open Spot – King by samsonslide: 10:44am On Aug 28, 2017
Maria Sharapova is great for tennis and deserves to be back on the main stage at the US Open, according to Billie Jean King.

Sharapova, 30, is set to make her first grand slam appearance since the 2016 Australian Open after serving a 15-month doping ban.

King, a 12-time grand slam winner, is delighted to see the Russian back, highlighting Sharapova’s popularity with the fans and backing the decision to hand her a main-draw wildcard at Flushing Meadows.

“Maria Sharapova deserves to be in the US Open,” King told Omnisport, courtesy of WTA-WSJ.

“She has paid her dues, the fines the time she couldn’t play, she has done what she was supposed to do and to have Maria back is great for our sport.

“I think any player who thinks she shouldn’t be back as a wildcard is absolutely ridiculous, she deserves to be back.

“We need her, tennis needs her, she is great for our sport and she sells tickets.
A five-time grand slam winner, Sharapova – who faces Simona Halep in a blockbuster opening-round clash in New York – is ranked 146th in the world ahead of the year’s final major.

Atop the rankings, there are eight players who could be number one after the US Open – and King said that was a good sign.

“I think this is the most depth we have ever had, we are also seeing a changing of the guard because I have been through five, six, seven generations,” she said.

“I have seen these generations come and go but right now it’s so exciting, I really love it because I don’t know who is going to win and I really love that feeling because it captures my interest as a former professional player.”
Read More Sport News:https://www.sportlineng.com/more-news/

(1) (Reply)

Mikel, Akpeyi Expected To Hit Eagles Camp Tuesday / Liverpool Legend Calls Woodburn ‘more Skillful Than Owen’ / Titans Vs Steelers Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.