Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing (8524 Views)

Your Career Isn't Dying - There Are Some Basic Steps You Need To Take. / I Am Worried My O'level Isn't Good Enough For My Cv / 3 African Tips For Starting Small & Growing Big In Your Business & Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by Nobody: 10:26pm On Aug 28, 2017
4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing
By Johnspeak Uwangue (Motivational Speaker, Talent and Life Coach)

You are funny right? Some people have even told you how funny you are, and you have even tried to turn your comedy talents into a career but despite been told how talented you are you're still finding it hard to grow. Please listen, talent is never enough. And also know that hard work kills but smart work pays.

I started out in maximising my God given talents as a comedian. For those of you who live in Benin city you may have probably heard of the late Samson Ohiomhokae of Samson Ohiomhokae promotion or Don General of independent radio or EhiGlad Entertainment, if you have heard of any of these names, I worked with them. I had also attended so many comedy talent hunt shows (both paid and free) in Benin. But it came to a point in my life when I discovered that comedy was just a talent and not my main talent. I have been privileged to meet with so many established and upcoming comedians and while chatting with them, I have discovered that there are some things they do that some other talented comedians don't and I want to share them with you for free.

They Dare Their Fears
It is one thing to be talented and another thing to go public with what you possess. Some people are scared of taking action because of the fear of rejection, criticism and failure. No matter how talented you are, until you say No to your fears and take steps you may remain at a particular spot. It's confidence that will make you approach a show organizer and tell him or her who you are. You may be the person that they have been waiting for, but how will they know about you if you won't dare your fears. Fear is a yoke.

Many years ago while still into comedy, I heard about a show that was being organized by Don General, listening to the calibre of comedians expected at the event would have made a newbie like me shiver, but I didn't. I was too confident that I called the organizer and told him that I would love to perform at his show. He asked me if I had what it takes to share the stage with the great comedians like I Go Dye, I Go Save, Maleke, etc and with confidence I replied with the affirmative. To shorten the story, I wasn't able to perform that night because the show ended late but he paid me and told me to keep in touch. You need confidence to be able to approach people who can help promote your comedy talent.

- They Don't Sit at Home and Wait
Another thing that grew their comedy talent is that they go out and meet people. Some comedians believe that because they have released like one or two comedy skits, people should start calling them for shows. No! It doesn't work that way. Even the already established comedians still have agents or managers who go out to get them jobs or endorsement deals. You need to go out and show people what you are capable of doing. If needs be, organize your own comedy shows around your community. If you attend a church with branches, approach your Pastor and seek for approval to tour round the churches with your own money. Those comedy skits shouldn't rot in your house, take them out and let people see what you are capable of.

* The picture below is that of Mc Young Elder (one of Nigeria's fastest rising comedian)

- You Want To Harvest When You Haven't Ripened.
Sometime ago while organizing one of my motivational programs, I was approached by a lady who told me about a guy that I have never heard of whom she claimed is a gospel musician. After pitching to me, I decided to give him a try if there was any available space. I told her to give him my number for him to call me, but she refused and insisted that I call him. I became angry. Firstly because I already had A-list gospel musicians expected at the program, and secondly, I was just trying to create a space for him to showcase whatever he claimed he has. Thirdly, apart from she asking me to call him, she told me that I must pay a certain amount before he can perform in my show. So many newbie comedians are very guilty of the third, despite being new they starts charging a fee. It's not a crime to charge a little fee when you are approached, but not when you are an upcoming. As a newbie comedian, every opportunity should be seen as an opportunity to tell the world about you. Already established talent entrepreneurs charge fees to cover for the time they will spend at your event and not for their talents.

- They Don't Follow The Multitude
Check out the already established comedians in your country and you will notice that they are different from the crowd. People with crowd mentality always get lost in the crowd. You have to carve a niche for yourself and turn yourself to a god in that area. You can't be everywhere and expect to be relevant. You could dive into prophetic comedy or economic comedy, or human rights comedy. Just be unique and watch your comedy talent grow exponentially until you start rubbing shoulders with world stars.

Succeed You Must

(c) Johnspeak Uwangue
Motivational Speaker, Talent and Life Coach

For more enquiries, questions, please send an email to:
Johnspeaklife@gmail.com

Cc Lalasticlala mynd44

4 Likes

Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by Angelb4: 9:38am On Aug 29, 2017
Oh, ok. Now I know why Jonathan's comedy regime didn't grow.

2nd time to appear 1st in one week.

I still dedicate this to Sai Baba's wellness. Let the good work continue...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by chibike69: 9:39am On Aug 29, 2017
k

next!!!
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by dapyd1(m): 9:39am On Aug 29, 2017
All these your points ehn, e get as e be.

If you are funny, you are funny. Many people don't make it in comedy because they aren't really funny.

You see, people mistake having a good sense of humour with comedy. Once your friends now tell you, 'guy you are funny o', you sef wan do comedy.

Because it's easy to get into and doesn't need capital.

So many boring Instagram videos nowadays. Also, so many 'so-called' motivational speakers undecided

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by Nobody: 9:39am On Aug 29, 2017
So this rubbish is in front page? Nairaland and useless front page stories are like 2 and 4
Commedy that people are running away from?

1 Like

Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by orledaj(m): 9:39am On Aug 29, 2017
I dedicate this space to the new VC of Unilorin, and to all who have wished to make first page comment. Lemme start my comedy career
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by paiz: 9:39am On Aug 29, 2017
The country situation is already a comedy
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by Narldon: 9:39am On Aug 29, 2017

PLEASE I NEED ANSWERS

Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by winkmart: 9:40am On Aug 29, 2017
Good piece
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by oringobiafra: 9:40am On Aug 29, 2017
Abeg let biafra come jooooor
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by Aden777(m): 9:40am On Aug 29, 2017
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by Originality007: 9:41am On Aug 29, 2017
g
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by free2ryhme: 9:41am On Aug 29, 2017
JohnspeakU:

You are funny right? Some people have even told you how funny you are, and you have even tried to turn your comedy talents into a career but despite been told how talented you are you're still finding it hard to grow. Please listen, talent is never enough. And also know that hard work kills but smart work pays.

I started out in maximising my God given talents as a comedian. For those of you who live in Benin city you may have probably heard of the late Samson Ohiomhokae of Samson Ohiomhokae promotion or Don General of independent radio or EhiGlad Entertainment, if you have heard of any of these names, I worked with them. I had also attended so many comedy talent hunt shows (both paid and free) in Benin. But it came to a point in my life when I discovered that comedy was just a talent and not my main talent. I have been privileged to meet with so many established and upcoming comedians and while chatting with them, I have discovered that there are some things they do that some other talented comedians don't and I want to share them with you for free.

They Dare Their Fears
It is one thing to be talented and another thing to go public with what you possess. Some people are scared of taking action because of the fear of rejection, criticism and failure. No matter how talented you are, until you say No to your fears and take steps you may remain at a particular spot. It's confidence that will make you approach a show organizer and tell him or her who you are. You may be the person that they have been waiting for, but how will they know about you if you won't dare your fears. Fear is a yoke.

Many years ago while still into comedy, I heard about a show that was being organized by Don General, listening to the calibre of comedians expected at the event would have made a newbie like me shiver, but I didn't. I was too confident that I called the organizer and told him that I would love to perform at his show. He asked me if I had what it takes to share the stage with the great comedians like I Go Dye, I Go Save, Maleke, etc and with confidence I replied with the affirmative. To shorten the story, I wasn't able to perform that night because the show ended late but he paid me and told me to keep in touch. You need confidence to be able to approach people who can help promote your comedy talent.

Another thing that grew their comedy talent is that they go out and meet people. Some comedians believe that because they have released like one or two comedy skits, people should start calling them for shows. No! It doesn't work that way. Even the already established comedians still have agents or managers who go out to get them jobs or endorsement deals. You need to go out and show people what you are capable of doing. If needs be, organize your own comedy shows around your community. If you attend a church with branches, approach your Pastor and seek for approval to tour round the churches with your own money. Those comedy skits shouldn't rot in your house, take them out and let people see what you are capable of.

* The picture below is that of Mc Young Elder (one of Nigeria's fastest rising comedian)

Sometime ago while organizing one of my motivational programs, I was approached by a lady who told me about a guy that I have never heard of whom she claimed is a gospel musician. After pitching to me, I decided to give him a try if there was any available space. I told her to give him my number for him to call me, but she refused and insisted that I call him. I became angry. Firstly because I already had A-list gospel musicians expected at the program, and secondly, I was just trying to create a space for him to showcase whatever he claimed he has. Thirdly, apart from she asking me to call him, she told me that I must pay a certain amount before he can perform in my show. So many newbie comedians are very guilty of the third, despite being new they starts charging a fee. It's not a crime to charge a little fee when you are approached, but not when you are an upcoming. As a newbie comedian, every opportunity should be seen as an opportunity to tell the world about you. Already established talent entrepreneurs charge fees to cover for the time they will spend at your event and not for their talents.

Check out the already established comedians in your country and you will notice that they are different from the crowd. People with crowd mentality always get lost in the crowd. You have to carve a niche for yourself and turn yourself to a god in that area. You can't be everywhere and expect to be relevant. You could dive into prophetic comedy or economic comedy, or human rights comedy. Just be unique and watch your comedy talent grow exponentially until you start rubbing shoulders with world stars.

Succeed You Must

(c) Johnspeak Uwangue

Johnspeaklife@gmail.com

Cc Lalasticlala mynd44

Have you done comedy before undecided

1 Like

Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by jericco1(m): 9:41am On Aug 29, 2017
Hmm. Not always applicable.
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 29, 2017
Lol
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by kenedy175(m): 9:42am On Aug 29, 2017
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by jericco1(m): 9:42am On Aug 29, 2017
free2ryhme:

Have you done comedy before undecided
see as you dey waste space.
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by olusholajohn(m): 9:42am On Aug 29, 2017
Issokay
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by 9jayes: 9:42am On Aug 29, 2017
divinecode101:
So this rubbish is in front page? Nairaland and useless front page stories are like 2 and 4
Commedy that people are running away from?
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by Hez143(m): 9:43am On Aug 29, 2017
W
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by pmc01(m): 9:43am On Aug 29, 2017
grin
no be by force na
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 29, 2017
just like my comedian friend .he crack himself up and we laugh at his stupidity.. smh ... dude still thinks comedy is his calling
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by TANKDESTROYER(m): 9:45am On Aug 29, 2017
observing
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by Nobody: 9:46am On Aug 29, 2017
J
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by free2ryhme: 9:46am On Aug 29, 2017
jericco1:
see as you dey waste space.

Na space be your problem undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by Abee79(m): 9:48am On Aug 29, 2017
Nice post. I learnt a thing or two though I am not a comedian. The principles can be applied to other areas of human endeavour. Thanks!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by Livefreeordieha(m): 9:49am On Aug 29, 2017
JohnspeakU:

You are funny right? Some peo вyple have even told you how funny you are, and you have even tried to turn your comedy talents into a career but despite been told how talented you are you're still finding it hard to grow. Please listen, talent is never enough. And also know that hard work kills but smart work pays.

They Dare Their Fears

Succeed You Must

(c) Johnspeak Uwangue

Johnspeaklife@gmail.com

Cc Lalasticlala mynd44
тнe only ѕalιenт poιnт/cogenт reaѕon ιѕ тнaт yoυ are naтυrally noт a coмιc perѕon...тнere ιѕ noтнιng вeттer тнan ғollow coмe ιn тнιѕ lιғe...υneмployмenт нaѕ ғorced people тo вecoмe wнaт acтυally doeѕn'т coмe naтυrally wιтн тнeм...a player ғroм acadeмy ιѕ dιғғerenт ғroм a gιғтed player ѕaмe applιeѕ wιтн мυѕιcιanѕ...ι don'т do ѕнowѕ вυт coмιcally ι lιgнт υp every rooм ι enтer,мy wιғe,ĸιdѕ,ғrιendѕ and ғaмιlιeѕ can aттeѕт ѕoмe even мaĸe joĸeѕ тнaт wнy noт do тнιѕ ғor мoney..lol...тнe poιnт ιѕ ιт coмeѕ naтυrally yoυ do тнιѕ тнιngѕ aѕ ιт coмeѕ тo yoυ..wιтн everyтнιng υ ѕee aroυnd yoυ,ғroм тнe aυdιence or perѕon yoυ wanna тeaѕe..

тoday υ ғιnd ѕelғ conғeѕѕed/ѕтyled coмedιanѕ reмιхιng eacнoтнer joĸeѕ...υ now wonder ιғ тнere ιѕ receѕѕιon ιn тнeιr joĸe econoмy wнere тнey are now ғorced тo econoмιѕe joĸeѕ...

anyway we all ĸnow тнaт тoo мany нandѕ ѕpoιl тнe cooĸ..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by shadrach77: 9:52am On Aug 29, 2017
The truth is comedy is hard! It requires more than being funny. You need to be able to hold a crowd and you need tenacity as there are so many guys on instagram nowadays offering their talent for free. Comedy goes beyond just cracking jokes
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 29, 2017
Hez143:
W
doctorkush:
just like my comedian friend .he crack himself up and we laugh at his stupidity.. smh ... dude still thinks comedy is his calling
HenryDion:
Lol
Hez143:
W
pmc01:
grin
no be by force na
Aden777:
chibike69:
k

next!!!
S.P.A.N
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 29, 2017
shakyum12:
S.P.A.N
Makurdi boy, is your brain paining you
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by Doctorphil: 10:01am On Aug 29, 2017
Comedy ain't for everyone
Re: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why Your Comedy Career Isn't Growing by ABskitcomedy: 10:01am On Aug 29, 2017
Wawu thanks 4 the motivation. we ar looking 4ward to meet u one on one

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Doctors Or Nurses: Who Should Get Better Pay? / Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) / 5 Reasons To Become A Commercial Airline Pilot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.