Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,430 members, 7,815,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

Installation Of The 32 Kings In Ibadan- The Tradional Implication - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Installation Of The 32 Kings In Ibadan- The Tradional Implication (397 Views)

10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria / Top 10 Of The Richest Kings In Nigeria (2019) And Their Cars / Names And Titles Of The 32 New Ibadan Obas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Installation Of The 32 Kings In Ibadan- The Tradional Implication by hayoholla(m): 1:44pm On Aug 29, 2017
If you follow the recent happenings in the cultural and traditional atmosphere of ibadan, you will find just of recent the installation of 32 new obas as against the wish of the olubadan. Before I proceed, this view of mine is NOT in support of the persona of the olubadan, no his view, attitude and ego as some people claims my argument is in favour of the olubadan as a person. I want to state categorically that my argument against the decision of the oyo state government spans across all ethnic and cultural divide of what is obtainable in all other part (state) of the federation, where the sitting monarch has been reduced to nothing more than a puppet or stooge to the government, thereby further eroding our cultural value and image as a Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa.

My argument against some people that praised the Oyo state government for the authority of confirmation of oba is subject to government ratification.

How can you claim that the authority of conformation is subject to government ratification, this is absurd and uncalled for the tradition of a community, town or city is totally independent of a government, forget about the fact that is written in the constitution of Nigeria, it is we as nigerians and yorubas that place more emphasis on westernization over traditional values and culture. This is very unfair to the traditional and cultural values of Yoruba and other tribes of the country We have been blinded and fooled by a written constitution which we take as sacrosanct and valid for all situations and of human behaviour. Let me tell you in plain terms, our cultural value and identity is gradually being eroded because we tend to place more value on "organised" (sic) government and we believe this is a panacea for a stable and peaceful society, of which it has done more harm than good. Forget about the oba's ego, from a traditional and unbiased point of view. A government has no right whatsoever to dabble, meddle to traditional matters involving appointments of chiefs, enthronement of kings and so on. This is purely political and which is not even obtainable in western countries we copy , where their monarchies are highly revered. If care is not taken, tribes in Nigeria will gradually loose their cultural and traditional identity all in the name of westernization and a self centered constitution. I once told a friend that the true history of Africans might never be known, because we allowed "them" to write it for us.

Before any written code or constitution was put in place, the oba, as the highest symbol of authority has his stance as final and sealed. Don't get me wrong, I am not anti government. I am saying under no circumstances is it traditionally ethical for government to install oba. Their function whether similar in being to uphold peace and tranquility are independent of each other, tell me when it won't get to a time when we will have to seek the governor's approval before any traditional activities must be performed or the governor will be the one to conduct such activities! The oba as he his, is to uphold the traditional values and culture of his domain and the government duty is to discharge her " executive" function. The reason while this argument still persist with people I raise this issues with is because, they say it has been enshrined in the constitution, which to me has been the greatest ploy to incapacitate the the throne of the olubadan and other monarchial system that exist around the country. If it is logical to say the government is right on installing oba, it is also logical to say the olubadan has every right to throw cautions to the wind and dablle into politics by contesting for governorship position while still on throne. Please think about that!
Re: Installation Of The 32 Kings In Ibadan- The Tradional Implication by kingxsamz(m): 1:48pm On Aug 29, 2017
chai..

(1) (Reply)

Olori Wuraola Releases Offcial Statement Amidst Crashed Marriage Rumors / Case A File / PositiveNaija Top News: Week 42, 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.