Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,713 members, 7,809,704 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:34 PM

Gordon Keller’s 4 Common Errors Of Dialogue - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Gordon Keller’s 4 Common Errors Of Dialogue (358 Views)

Common Grammatical Errors In Writing / 5 Common Mistakes Made In Content Writing / The Art Of Writing Proper Dialogue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gordon Keller’s 4 Common Errors Of Dialogue by Divepen1(m): 7:00pm On Aug 31, 2017
Gordon Kellier gave 4 common errors in his book ‘ Fiction’ and you ought to know them.
Common errors of Dialogues:
1. Introduce dialogue grammatically. A verb like said is required.
Some verbs require an indirect object:
WRONG: He told, “I’m leaving.”
RIGHT: He told his girlfriend, “I’m leaving.”
2. Not all verbs that describe manner or speech can introduce dialogue by themselves:
WRONG: “Your move,” he smiled.
RIGHT: “Your move,” he said with a smile.
WRONG: He shrugged, “If you say so.”
RIGHT: Shrugging, he said, “If you say so.”
3. Identify the speakers with a phrase like “he said.” You may know
who is speaking in each paragraph, but your reader needs help.
Vary the location of the “he said” phrases. It is monotonous if the “he said” phrase comes at the beginning or end of every paragraph. Do not keep the reader wondering who is speaking:
WRONG: “I hate to disappoint you, but I think you’re making a big mistake. Are you sure you’ll feel this way next week? Or next year? Do you think you can just walk back into your girlfriend’s arms if you should someday change your mind?” my sister asked.
BETTER: “I hate to disappoint you,” my sister said, “but I think. . . .”
4. Not Varying the verbs that introduce dialogue.
Which of this error have you ever committed? Drop your response in the comment box.

http://writertain.com/2017/08/31/gordon-kellers-4-common-errors-of-conversation/

(1) (Reply)

The Solitary Death Of Samuel Shaw Or "Hair" / Google Doodle Honors Chinua Achebe. / Bettino Silent Defiance.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.