Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,581 members, 7,837,190 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

Should You Install An ANTIVIRUS On Your ANDROID DEVICE? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Should You Install An ANTIVIRUS On Your ANDROID DEVICE? (1125 Views)

Please Suggest An Antivirus App I Can Use To Scan And Remove Virus Fr My Phone / I'll Pay You To Install An App On Your Iphone / How To Fix “no Permission To Delete File” On Android Device (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should You Install An ANTIVIRUS On Your ANDROID DEVICE? by attention007(m): 4:22pm On Sep 01, 2017
SHOULD YOU INSTALL AN ANTIVIRUS ON YOUR ANDROID DEVICE?

We are often asked whether antivirus apps for Android are necessary, and for good reason. Apple has tried hard to discredit Android as a virus-infested swamp of malware and there have been several high-profile Android security threats. Android has a tarnished reputation for security and viruses. But is this justified? Would Android users benefit from antivirus apps?

Not according to Android security chief Adrian Ludwig. Just prior to the Google I/O developer conference earlier this year, Ludwig told reporters: "Do I think the average user on Android needs to install [antivirus apps]? Absolutely not. I don’t think 99 percent plus of users get a benefit from [anti-virus apps]."
Ludwig also claimed that the threat posed by Android malware has been "overstated".

So where does this leave us?

If the chief security engineer for Android says it ain't a problem, suggesting antivirus companies are just trying to sell their product, then should we be concerned? Maybe. Security companies and antivirus app developers would respond by saying Google is simply trying to downplay the flaws in its own Play Store. But let's back up a step.

What are Android viruses?

A virus is a type of malicious software (malware) program, the likes of which have been infecting our PCs for decades. As the Android platform has developed and became more widely used, so too has the number of potential threats to the system. Viruses don't actually infect Android, because they don't self-replicate, but the term gets used nonetheless.

Security reports – usually from antivirus and security companies – regularly tell us that the
threats are on the rise. Whether you believe these reports or, like Ludwig, think they're simply trying to scare you into installing an app, it's a good idea to know as much as you can about Android viruses and where they come from.
There are many ways that viruses or malware can get onto your phone.

Where does Android malware come from?

The Google Play Store is the largest target for this type of malware and scams, because it is the mainline delivery system for content onto your phone. The sheer volume of apps uploaded (and downloaded) per day, along with the lack of comprehensive policing, makes it an easy target.
But there are plenty of other delivery mechanisms for viruses and malware. Emails with attachments – much like the ones you get on your PC – or MMSs that get automatically downloaded, hacks on popular apps such as WhatsApp, phishing scams, fake apps, APKs you've installed manually (outside of the Play Store) or clicking suspect download links, among others.

What are the disadvantages of an antivirus on Android?

One of the main criticisms about antiviruses is that they play on fears about viruses, as they require full access to all user data on a device. Essentially, they do exactly the same thing as the viruses you are trying to avoid… and you need to have confidence in your antivirus. Some antiviruses are also energy intensive: they are always running in the background and are not always optimized for batteries. It’s often the price you'll have to pay to be protected… Finally, an antivirus will not always be 100% effective. While some like Avast, Kaspersky or Lookout find 90% of viruses, others like McAfee will detect only a few of the dangers.

So what does this all mean?

The simple truth is, thieves, hackers, bandits and hoodlums will try to exploit anything; it is inevitable that a platform with over a billion active users will become a target. Can scams, viruses trojans et al be avoided by sensible use of your smartphone? In most cases, yes. Does this mean we don’t need antivirus software? That's really up to you to decide.

As long as you’re careful on the Play Store, downloading apps or data from known and reputable sources, you should remain protected on Android. But why risk it? Threats to Android devices are becoming more and more common. I’d even recommend downloading software just to run a scan every once in a while and then removing it again.

Regardless of whether antivirus apps are ineffective or Google is just trying to sweep a growing problem under the rug, I recommend you take any precaution you deem necessary to stay safe. The downside of installing an antivirus app is negligible. They do consume system resources, but they probably do more good than harm and if they make you feel more secure, that's worth something.

Do you have antivirus apps on your Android?

Have you ever been affected by malware? Share your experiences in the comments.

CC: Lalasticala and Mynd44, please assist in this regards so that this issue would be given the desired attention.

Re: Should You Install An ANTIVIRUS On Your ANDROID DEVICE? by finnestdope(m): 5:02pm On Sep 01, 2017
Couldn't read the sermon tho, but I never leave ma devices without an antivirus.

Ma PC, smartphones, smartwatch all have antivirus installed in all.

Kaspersky for ma PC
Clean master for ma smartphones and Android smartwatch
Re: Should You Install An ANTIVIRUS On Your ANDROID DEVICE? by attention007(m): 5:29pm On Sep 01, 2017
finnestdope:
Couldn't read the sermon tho, but I never leave ma devices without an antivirus.

Ma PC, smartphones, smartwatch all have antivirus installed in all.

Kaspersky for ma PC
Clean master for ma smartphones and Android smartwatch

what about the unnecessary demands from the antivirus product wanting you to install add-ons
Re: Should You Install An ANTIVIRUS On Your ANDROID DEVICE? by finnestdope(m): 7:48pm On Sep 01, 2017
attention007:

what about the unnecessary demands from the antivirus product wanting you to install add-ons

i simply ignore them
Re: Should You Install An ANTIVIRUS On Your ANDROID DEVICE? by attention007(m): 9:46pm On Sep 01, 2017
finnestdope:

i simply ignore them
I just hate the unnecessary notifications
Re: Should You Install An ANTIVIRUS On Your ANDROID DEVICE? by sweeterman(m): 11:42pm On Sep 01, 2017
Didn't read the sermon but nope..
Even on PC Windows Defender is enuff..

Is all bout knowing the files i install and the sources i get dem from cool cool

1 Like

Re: Should You Install An ANTIVIRUS On Your ANDROID DEVICE? by GrandMufti: 12:36am On Sep 02, 2017
Lol... I've never been a fan of antivirus apps on mobile devices

1 Like

Re: Should You Install An ANTIVIRUS On Your ANDROID DEVICE? by Nobody: 12:47am On Sep 02, 2017
lalasticlala come and tell us ur view
Re: Should You Install An ANTIVIRUS On Your ANDROID DEVICE? by Nobody: 8:17am On Sep 02, 2017
Antivirus on android is totally useless unlik on Pc. Before any app can work fully on Andriod, it must have root permission or work like a system app. That is exactly what anti-virus on Andriod lack. Most work on the surface to detect user apps but can't do nothing about core virus that gains system permission without user notice.
Re: Should You Install An ANTIVIRUS On Your ANDROID DEVICE? by attention007(m): 11:33am On Sep 02, 2017
sweeterman:
Didn't read the sermon but nope..
Even on PC Windows Defender is enuff..

Is all bout knowing the files i install and the sources i get dem from cool cool

exactly
Re: Should You Install An ANTIVIRUS On Your ANDROID DEVICE? by giftedben: 5:30pm On Sep 03, 2017
Just pray you don't encounter viruses on your smartphone, viruses are really on smartphone, especially on Android, it can be frustrating and even make you smash your phone on the wall. I make use of DR.WEB, the best antivirus for me so far.

2 Likes

Re: Should You Install An ANTIVIRUS On Your ANDROID DEVICE? by attention007(m): 9:41pm On Sep 07, 2017
lalasticlala come and tell us ur view...help move to fp you know the Nigerian market is flooded with Android devices
Re: Should You Install An ANTIVIRUS On Your ANDROID DEVICE? by attention007(m): 9:44pm On Sep 07, 2017
giftedben:
Just pray you don't encounter viruses on your smartphone, viruses are really on smartphone, especially on Android, it can be frustrating and even make you smash your phone on the wall. I make use of DR.WEB, the best antivirus for me so far.

Am careful with the websites I visit and the stuffs I download too. so I think antivirus makes phone to lag and with their unnecessary notifications telling u to upgrade this and that and thereafter telling u to install add-ons

(1) (Reply)

6 Tips To Choose High Speed Internet / Startimes App A Malware / Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 Vs Xiaomi Redmi Note 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.