Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,924 members, 7,817,705 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Help Me With This Key Problem - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help Me With This Key Problem (716 Views)

I Need this key (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Me With This Key Problem by scantee(m): 12:50pm On Feb 23, 2010
Hi, my pals, please i need a help from you guys, my sister bought new Hp compaq desktop pc with M.S Windows Xp Service park 2. after one month it is requesting for activation keys, that we should activate online. but the problem is that it does not boot completely again, it just stoped at welcome screen and now ask to activate online. i try to enter the xp service 2 keys and i found out that they space there is from A-G which requires 35 keys. but i have only 25 keys. please i need urgent help.

thanks all
Re: Help Me With This Key Problem by scantee(m): 12:51pm On Feb 23, 2010
waiting 4 ur help
Re: Help Me With This Key Problem by DualCore1: 1:07pm On Feb 23, 2010
Cant remember too well but i think MS XP uses 5 blocks and each block can hold 5 characters. That brings it to 25 characters in all.
Re: Help Me With This Key Problem by scantee(m): 1:08pm On Feb 23, 2010
Dual Core:

Cant remember too well but i think MS XP uses 5 blocks and each block can hold 5 characters. That brings it to 25 characters in all.

you are right. but this one the space provided is seven, which means is 35 characters
Re: Help Me With This Key Problem by scantee(m): 3:20pm On Feb 23, 2010
so no helps guys.hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Help Me With This Key Problem by Dokki: 7:43pm On Feb 23, 2010
If the computer is a new HP - isn't there a sticker on the side with the windows xp serial # on it.
This is how it is supposed to be - if it was bought from a reputable reseller then they should provide this key to you.
Check on the computer casing, it should be visible to you.

D
Re: Help Me With This Key Problem by scantee(m): 7:47pm On Feb 23, 2010
Dokki:

If the computer is a new HP - isn't there a sticker on the side with the windows xp serial # on it.
This is how it is supposed to be - if it was bought from a reputable reseller then they should provide this key to you.
Check on the computer casing, it should be visible to you.

D

thanks for your response, it has serial number of the keys, when enter is shows incorrect activation key
Re: Help Me With This Key Problem by Nobody: 8:17pm On Feb 23, 2010
story is bs - no new branded pc will ship with an unactivated OS. infact the OS should be OEM - as in when u install with the cds that came with it, you don't need the internet to ctivate, as it preactivated.

if your story is true , better get to the seller sharp sharp
Re: Help Me With This Key Problem by DualCore1: 8:25pm On Feb 23, 2010
lwkmd
Re: Help Me With This Key Problem by PCbusayo(f): 9:14pm On Feb 23, 2010
Dual Core:

yeap
Re: Help Me With This Key Problem by scantee(m): 1:39pm On Feb 24, 2010
oyb:

story is bs - no new branded pc will ship with an unactivated OS. infact the OS should be OEM - as in when u install with the cds that came with it, you don't need the internet to ctivate, as it preactivated.

if your story is true , better get to the seller sharp sharp

what do u mean by is not true.
the system was shiped direct from uk i am not the owner i am only trying to render help. she has been using it about a month before this problem started. if u have any solution just help and stop guessing all this and that.
Re: Help Me With This Key Problem by Nobody: 1:53pm On Feb 24, 2010
^^^^

scantee:

Hi, my pals, please i need a help from you guys, my sister bought new Hp compaq desktop pc with M.S Windows Xp Service park 2. after one month it is requesting for activation keys, that we should activate online. but the problem is that it does not boot completely again, it just stoped at welcome screen and now ask to activate online. i try to enter the xp service 2 keys and i found out that they space there is from A-G which requires 35 keys. but i have only 25 keys. please i need urgent help.

thanks all

scantee:

what do u mean by is not true.
the system was shiped direct from uk i am not the owner i am only trying to render help. she has been using it about a month before this problem started. if u have any solution just help and stop guessing all this and that.

no 'new'pc will ship with xp - windows 7 is a winner

i also find it odd that your sister will order a DESKTOP all the way from the uk

finally, it has been made clear to you - i even checked on my pc - both xp and vista keys are 25 digits

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Activating-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

even those old vista downgraded pcs - shipped with xp sp3 not xp sp2

better hit the net for those xp genuine registry hacks and stop the bs.

btw, pirated xp sp2 keys will not work with xp sp3
Re: Help Me With This Key Problem by Nobody: 2:00pm On Feb 24, 2010
it is possible that there's a virus on her pc though. . .

http://www.usao.edu/infoservices/hoaxes/trojanvirusspoof.htm

Summary: New Trojan virus spoofs Windows activation and is nothing more than a well-disguised "phishing" scam.

NOTE: This alert is pertinent only for PC users running Microsoft Windows.

There is a new trojan virus on the internet, called Kardphisher, and it could be one of the trickiest computer scams ever made. It uses the Windows XP Activation screen to make a user think that their system has been activated on another computer. It then prompts them to reactivate their PC by entering in some of their personal information, including their credit card number. Never give your credit card details to anyone soliciting information…even if it appears to be or is Microsoft.

Here is what the fake “activation” process looks like with the Trojan:

If you don’t enter in the credit card details the Trojan will shutdown your computer. The virus's creator even took it a step further by preventing you from running or switching to another application which is what makes this really nasty.

The Trojan also stresses that your credit card information is only for verification purposes and will not be charged:

"We will ask for you billing details, but your credit card will not be charged."

An obvious clue to the fact that this is a scam is from the improper grammar in the above sentence. It should be “ask for your billing details,” and they are making it even more obvious that this is a scam by not proofreading. I’m sure most people who are infected by the Trojan won’t even think twice about proceeding with the activation process, so try to warn friends and family about this.

Symantec has some recommendations on how to remove the Trojan for those that have been infected by it.

press f6 when booting - this should take you into safe mode - downlaod and install malwareytes antimalware, update it, and let it do its thing

if it is a virus - then er shame on your sis - that virus is over 2 years old - she must not have any protection running -

you can get miscrosoft security essentials which is free. not outrageously fantastic, but Better than nothing

http://www.google.com.ng/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=Kardphisher&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

more on kardphisher
Re: Help Me With This Key Problem by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:07pm On Feb 25, 2010
drama! lolz

woo abeg, no gist abeg, i honestly dont buy the story too, and as for the malware, well long thing.
iwell if all fails, then go to ikeja and look for otigba xp naw and do the needful, its not a new thing nor the end of the world, besides its a desktop so maybe its only the graphics card that might need drivers (u may choose to upgrade the xp instead of format though!)
even me sef never see 35 character xp key before o! really strange
Re: Help Me With This Key Problem by DualCore1: 8:15pm On Feb 25, 2010
I find it very strange and I am uncomfortable at the fact that 4llerbuntu will make a post on a thread with a matter like this and not go down the linux lane

Dude are you under duress or has some windows user hacked your NL ID. This isnt you bro! tongue

(1) (Reply)

I Need A God-fearing Person Who Advertise On Sucess Digest / Help Me Out Wit My Mtn F@stlink Pls! / latest codes for Mtn free browsing send just card of 1000 to 07033798621

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.