Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,358 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:08 AM

Facts About Hell In The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Facts About Hell In The Bible (15765 Views)

Mad Man Preaching To Crowd About Hell Fire! (Video) / Bill Wiese: 'I Died & Went To Hell' (23 Questions About Hell) / Archaeologists Find Gates Of Hell In Saudi Arabia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facts About Hell In The Bible by ADEWUMIMichael(m): 7:50am On Sep 03, 2017
Hell in the Bible is a place of future
punishment and the final destination for unbelievers. It is described in Scripture using various terms such as eternal fire, outer darkness, a place of weeping and torment, the lake of fire, the second death, unquenchable fire. The terrifying reality of hell is that it will be a place of complete, unending separation from God.

BIBLICAL TERMS FOR HELL

The Hebrew word Sheol occurs 65 times in the Old Testament.
It is translated "hell," "the grave," "death," "destruction," and "the pit." Sheol identifies the general abode of the dead, a place where life no longer exists.

An Example of Sheol:

Psalm 49:13–14
This is the path of those who have foolish confidence; yet after them people approve of their boasts. Selah. Like sheep they are appointed for Sheol; death shall be their shepherd, and the upright shall rule over them in the morning. Their form shall be consumed in Sheol, with no place to dwell. (ESV)

Hades is the Greek term translated "hell" in the New Testament. Hades is similar to Sheol. It is described as a prison with gates, bars, and locks, and its location is downward.

An Example of Hades:

Acts 2:27–31
'For you will not abandon my soul to Hades, or let your Holy One see corruption. You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence.' "Brothers, I may say to you with confidence about the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants on his throne, he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption." (ESV)

The Greek word Gehenna is translated "hell" or "the fires of hell," and expresses the place of punishment for sinners. It is usually associated with the final judgment and depicted as being an eternal, unquenchable fire.

Examples of Gehenna:
Matthew 10:28
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. (NKJV)
Matthew 25:41
"Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels ...' " (NKJV)
Another Greek term used to indicate hell or the "lower regions" is Tartarus . Like Gehenna, Tartarus also designates the place of eternal punishment.

An Example of Tartarus:
2 Peter 2:4
For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment ... (ESV)
With so many references to Hell in the Bible, any serious Christian must come to terms with the doctrine. The passages are grouped in sections below to help us understand what the Bible has to say about hell.

PUNISHMENT IN HELL IS ETERNAL
Isaiah 66:24
"And they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind." (NIV)
Daniel 12:2
Many of those whose bodies lie dead and buried will rise up, some to everlasting life and some to shame and everlasting disgrace. (NLT)
Matthew 25:46
"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to
eternal life ." (NIV)
Mark 9:43
If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It's better to enter eternal life with only one hand than to go into the unquenchable fires of hell with two hands. (NLT)
Jude 7
And don't forget Sodom and Gomorrah and their neighboring towns, which were filled with
immorality and every kind of sexual perversion. Those cities were destroyed by fire and serve as a warning of the eternal fire of God's judgment. (NLT)
Revelation 14:11
"And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name." (NKJV)

HELL IS A PLACE OF SEPARATION FROM GOD
2 Thessalonians 1:9
They will be punished with eternal destruction, forever separated from the Lord and from his glorious power. (NLT)

HELL IS A PLACE OF FIRE
Matthew 3:12
"His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire." (NKJV)
Matthew 13:41–42
The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will remove from his Kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. And the angels will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (NLT)
Matthew 13:50

... throwing the wicked into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (NLT)

Revelation 20:15
And anyone whose name was not found recorded in the Book of Life was thrown into the lake of fire. (NLT)

Thoughtful Faith for Your Life
Sign up to receive study aids and practical answers to help you grow spiritually and pursue an authentic, purposeful Christian life.

HELL IS FOR THE WICKED
Psalm 9:17
The wicked shall return to Sheol, all the nations that forget God. (ESV)
THE WISE WILL AVOID HELL
Proverbs 15:24
The way of life winds upward for the wise, that he may turn away from hell below. (NKJV)

WE CAN ENDEAVOR TO SAVE OTHERS FROM HELL
Proverbs 23:14
Physical discipline may well save them from death. (NLT)
Jude 23
Rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgment. Show mercy to still others, but do so with great caution, hating the sins that contaminate their lives. (NLT)

THE BEAST, FALSE PROPHET, DEVIL, AND DEMONS WILL BE THROWN INTO HELL

Matthew 25:41
"Then the King will turn to those on the left and say, 'Away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons.' " (NLT)

Revelation 19:20
And the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who did mighty miracles on behalf of the beast—miracles that deceived all who had accepted the mark of the beast and who worshiped his statue. Both the beast and his false prophet were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur. (NLT)

Revelation 20:10
... and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. (ESV)

HELL HAS NO POWER OVER THE CHURCH
Matthew 16:18
Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means 'rock'), and upon this rock I will build my church , and all the powers of hell will not conquer it. (NLT)

Revelation 20:6
Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years. (NKJV)

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-does-the-bible-say-about-hell-701959

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by hopefulLandlord: 7:52am On Sep 03, 2017
Christian heaven does not make any sense too

The Bible doesn't say much about what heaven is supposed to be like. Most of the claims about heaven are exaggerations of the Bible. The Bible says the Gates are made of pearl. What are the gates for? Are they made just as an excuse to irritate clams? Are the gates supposed to keep someone out or to keep souls from escaping?

The sales pitch for heaven is that there is only happiness and no sorrow. But it also says that many people's loved ones won't be there. Since they can't feel sorrow about that, are they ecstatic that their loved ones are being tortured forever? Either your memories are removed or your human empathy is removed. Is it really you that is left over once some parts of you have been removed?

If life matters to me now, it will always have mattered to me, even when I am gone. Death cannot change that.

Your best hope is to be locked in a gold cage with your memories of having an actual life being erased just so you can kiss ass for eternity.

Life is pleasant, death is serene. The transition might be troublesome but we all have to go through it. You shouldn't fear death so much. Heaven and hell are imaginary. You should reject the indoctrination. Life is much better that way.

To quote a friend: "Heaven's supposed to be this really great place, right? So how come a third of the angels got pissed off??"

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by Ololanla: 7:55am On Sep 03, 2017
Heaven is real, Hell is real.

9 Likes

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by brandonobi(m): 8:18am On Sep 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Interesting
isn't it?
Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by hopefulLandlord: 8:20am On Sep 03, 2017
Ololanla:
Heaven is real, Hell is real.

have you been there before? if no, how then do you know?

1 Like

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by brandonobi(m): 8:21am On Sep 03, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Na space I been dey book o, so that I can use my reggae spoil OP's blues if it reaches FP grin
no wahala
Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by MhizzAJ(f): 8:30am On Sep 03, 2017
okay
Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by geoworldedu: 8:33am On Sep 03, 2017
We ar observing
Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by menxer: 8:36am On Sep 03, 2017
People that saw and prophesy about hell only had a "bad trip."
Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by Amberon11: 9:37am On Sep 03, 2017
Lol
Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by Eventoned: 9:38am On Sep 03, 2017
Hello everyone, please checkout my new gospel song and tell me what you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3cDCcwGHvc

6 Likes

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by Nobody: 9:40am On Sep 03, 2017
Since souls or spirits dont have nervous systems. How wud dey feel pain in the so called hell hahahahaha. Gospel artist ayefele cannot feel pain anymore cos of this damaged spine. How wud our soul/spirit feel pain in hell dem. Smh

7 Likes

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by ifegadinma: 9:40am On Sep 03, 2017
menxer:
People that saw and prophesy about hell only had a "bad trip."
Can there ever be a "Good Trip" to Hell?

1 Like

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by realmindz: 9:41am On Sep 03, 2017
una go hear am today

[b] Now I Omokwo have five children. And the names of my children were Ajanigo, Alolo, Ufedo, Ariga and Ebo.
2. Now before my face, four of my five children changed to the religion of the foreigners. For when they went to the school of the foreigners to learn, they were taught their religion, saying, after death shall be heaven and fire only.
3. And those who believe in Zeusus shall go to heaven while they who do not believe in him shall go to the fire to be there forever. Now I called my children and said to them, where do you think that your distant great grandfather Mona shall be now as we speak?

4. And they said, he shall be in the fire because he did not know Zeusus in his days.
5. And I said, why should he go to the fire because he did not know Zeusus? Does he have any fault for not knowing Zeusus? For in his days, Issa was he whom they told him about. And they did not even say that Issa died for the world. But he did not believe all their stories because there are greater stories here also which we pass from mouth to mouth to our children and grandchildren.
6. Now Alolo said to me, father, we do not wish that our ancestors should go to the fire, but the reality is that they shall be there forever. And Omokwo said, you children are making me laugh. For it is as if you are drunken with emu.
7. Now Ariga said, it is not an excuse that they do not believe in God while they were alive. And they shall by now be wailing in the fire. For they shall not be forgiven, no matter how they now plead for mercy. For there is no mercy in the fire of God.
8. Now Ufedo, being the last child of the family, who did not know much of the things which they spoke, was called apart by me. And I said to him, you are the youngest of my children, but I have made you greater than your four elder brothers.
9. And you alone have I accepted as my only child. And you are my first and last born. And all the things which I have are yours. And only through you should anyone come to me. Now have the key to my room.
10. Now Ufedo was very glad. And when his brothers sought after their father for food, he said to them, you are not worthy to be seen in my presence. Go and see Ufedo your little brother and accept him as your Lord and master. And if you do not accept him as such, you shall see my wrath.
11. For I have put in his charge all powers of this house. And through him alone can you be reconciled with me.
12. Now when the children of Omokwo went to Ufedo that he should give them the key to the storehouse so that they might take food and other things which belonged to the father, he said to them, call me Lord.
13. And they took him and beat him up in anger.
14. Now when Omokwo heard how they had maltreated his only acceptable son, he went after them and caught them. And he beat them with the rod and locked them up, saying, you shall be in that room forever. And I shall neither give you food or water.
15. Now the children of Omokwo thought that it was only a joke. And they cried out for help for three days, for they were very hungry. And Ufedo entered into the locked room after three days. And they said, now we have accepted you as the firstborn and even the only son of our father.
16. Now give us food and water to drink.
17. And Ufedo said, it is too late to do so. For the time when this was possible has long past. And there is no forgiveness for you.
[/b]
18. Now at that time, Adeiza the grandson of Omini came from Okerune to see Omokwo. And he said, Omokwo the great one, I have come to do to you what Mona your ancestor did to Agidi my own ancestor. For in those days, Mona came even on foot to see Agidi my ancestor.
19. Now I have deemed it fit to come to see you in this place and share with you some experiences which are disturbing my minds. For even now, I have lost hope of the coming of anything or any god called Otem.
20. For rather than a saviour of our land from the religions of the foreigners, what we have is the massive conversion of our children to those foreign religions while they burn our own objects of meditation, calling them the objects of the devil.
21. Now I think there is no hope anymore. For even as I speak, my children have become Ishlamites. And they touched the ground with their foreheads to worship that which they call Alla.
22. Now I Omokwo said, I know that you Adeiza are an influential homo in Okerune and around. And you have much fame. And if you say that there is no hope, who am I to say that there is?
23. For even my own children are now Krishtenis and they see me as a demon and a devil now. And they say that my ancestors their ancestors are burning now in the fire. And they say that if I do not believe the story of that Zeusus who died in the land where I did not know about, then I shall be cast into fire when I die.
24. Now Adeiza said, let them come here so that I may talk to them so that they might change. For it is for the purpose of taking you to Okerune to talk with my own children have I also come.
25. Now let our hands help one another.
26. Now I said to Adeiza, I cannot bring those children to you here, for they are locked up in the room as a punishment for their wickedness. And they shall remain in that place forever.
27. When Adeiza could not persuade me to release them, I said to him, follow me. And he followed me to the place where my children lay. And Ufedo followed us also. And when we were in the place, we coughed greatly because of the ground pepper I had sprinkled there.
28. And Adeiza said, for how many days have you kept them here without feeding them? And I said, for three days. And Adeiza said, you are the most wicked being I have ever seen.
29. For what offence could have been so great committed against you to warrant starvation of your our creatures which you gave life to?
30. Now while Adeiza spoke, they groaned in pain and said, let us accept Ufedo as our lord now. Let him be everything and anything you have made him to be, but take us out of this hot room and feed us. For you are our father.
31. And I said, no, for it is not my principle to let you out forever. And Adeiza said to me, you are mad, Omokwo. Shall we chase a bad child to the tiger to prey upon?
32. Now set them free or else I shall set them free myself and go apart from you forever.
33. Now when Adeiza said this, I wept. And my children wondered why I wept. And I said, it is only the third day, but I cannot withstand the suffering I put my children to anymore.
34. How then shall there be a god who shall cast his homo in the fire forever without feeding them or forgiving them. Behold I say, such god should be given a chieftancy title in the kingdom of the monsters. For it is not possible for a father to subject his children to starvation and confinement for petty things done, let alone leaving them in a fire forever.
35. Therefore Ajanigo, Alolo, Ebo and Ariga, go and think about that idea of a fire burning your ancestors forever and relate it with the experience you have had here today.
36. For I tell you the truth, whoever makes an afterlife of fire for humanity is a devil and his rivals and superiors who are better than him shall not allow such kind of fire to remain burning. For even as Adeiza forced me to end this punishment, so shall the higher beings who are wise stop whoever that being is who made an eternal fire as a place to be after death.
37. For foolishness is the portion of Yahweh if indeed he ever nursed such kind of afterlife in his mind, let alone making it real. Therefore my children, forgive me for subjecting you through these three days of fasting and heat. For this I do to save you and your future from becoming useless to yourself by wasting your time worshipping a god who is a terrorist.
OtemAtum

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by Uyi168: 9:41am On Sep 03, 2017
U forgot the most important one,which is,it only exist in peoples mind..

7 Likes

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by Benekruku(m): 9:42am On Sep 03, 2017
Fact

What makes it a Fact?

A Middle-East storybook?

Facts re tested and proven. No fact was ever fictitious !

Hell my foot!

6 Likes

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by ActionsShure: 9:42am On Sep 03, 2017
Nobody has ever been to heaven to tell us what it looks like
I mean ginger us
Buh its always hell in reality
Always hell everytime
Dah african woman thst hear dat said she died and went to heaven then went to hell bla bla bla.
Na always hell everytime.
Why not heaven
Kai
Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by realmindz: 9:43am On Sep 03, 2017
Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by ohosi4real(m): 9:44am On Sep 03, 2017
Am waiting for d last day
Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by Franco93: 9:44am On Sep 03, 2017
I don't think there's any sin on this earth that worth going to HELL for eternity.
Moreover, sin is relatively based on human laws.
A military can kill people and it's legit but when civilian kill one person he thinks he has committed sin.
A Chinese man can marry her sister and it's legit but when a Nigerian marries from his family, it's taboo and sin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by dadebayo1(m): 9:45am On Sep 03, 2017
Why is the christian thread always open but the moslem thread will require for one to take an oath before posting anything...?

4 Likes

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by sokera: 9:46am On Sep 03, 2017
That means Nigeria is Hell
Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by marooh: 9:48am On Sep 03, 2017
All I know is that! Good will always be good...likewise bad
Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by tosyne2much(m): 9:48am On Sep 03, 2017
This post will never interest people cheesy

1 Like

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by Nobody: 9:49am On Sep 03, 2017
Na white man write bible all na folktale

1 Like

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by saraki2019(m): 9:49am On Sep 03, 2017
dadebayo1:
Why is the christian thread always open but the moslem thread will require for one to take an oath before posting anything...?
do u need licence to dump poo in a dustbin?
Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by TheEminentLaity: 9:49am On Sep 03, 2017
Lunatics and their ridiculous stories

2 Likes

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by wittyt98(m): 9:51am On Sep 03, 2017
HELL.... The shit from the book of belief and fiction to enslave and control man with. Lol

2 Likes

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by maximunimpact(m): 9:51am On Sep 03, 2017
there is hell, but there's no hell fire literally .......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facts About Hell In The Bible by Nobody: 9:53am On Sep 03, 2017
Christianity and hell, tufiakwa

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The 10-point Plan By Alice Bailey And The New World Order For The Destruction / Solomon Was A Black Man / What's Your Favourite Bible Scripture Verse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.