Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,996 members, 7,814,394 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

Why Nigeria Must Defeat Cameroun In Yaoundé - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Nigeria Must Defeat Cameroun In Yaoundé (715 Views)

Nigeria Must Defeat Angola To Honour Samuel Okwaraji's Heroic Sacrifice On Pitch / Osimhen Taken In For Random Dope Test After Cameroun Game / Cameroun Vs Brazil FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022: (1 - 0) On 2nd Dec 2022 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Nigeria Must Defeat Cameroun In Yaoundé by ogbonti: 9:37am On Sep 04, 2017
I just read it online that Cameroun cheated Nigeria to win the 1988 African Cup of Nations. Henry Nwosu scored a beautiful goal for Nigeria, and it was disallowed by the referee, only for the Cameroonian-born CAF president Issa Hayatou imposed referee to, award a phony penalty kick that ensured Cameroun won the cup. This was confirmed by the Captain of that Cameroonian team, Mbouh Mbouh Emile. Folks, no be today this small cameroun dey give us wahala, please SUPER EAGLES, if you can, beat them 4-0 again at home. They are very disorganized riggt now, please finish them and humiliate them at home... their confidence is very low. Punish them while they are still blaming everything about the Uyo encounter.

Please read the link and I will translate to English:

www.camfoot.com/actualites/emile-mbouh-1988-nous-n-avons-pas-doute-de-l-issue-du-match,27482.html

Captain of the national team winner of the 1988 CAN, in front of Nigeria, Emile Mbouh remembers a difficult encounter, but that they won by remaining concentrated, with a compact team block. The one who is now a coach in the United States reminds his younger brothers not to lose sight of the fact that the Super Eagles are formidable opponents.

Emile, you were one of the main actors of the two meetings against Nigeria of the African Cup of Nations 1988. What memories do you keep?

Playing against Nigeria is every time, playing against a big piece of football. Even if their organization is failing at the moment, it is a team that has always counted players in the biggest clubs of world football. So that when one was playing against them, one had to prepare accordingly, because every error could be expensive. We had to be present on every action, knowing that the match was tight.

The final was precisely tight, and was unlocked by a penalty kick. There was even a canceled goal for offside Nigerian side. How did you live this difficult, tense game? Have you doubted?

We did not doubt, not at all. We had a defined game plan, which was to control the midfielder. When you have control over it, nothing can happen to you, except for individual fault or inattention error. We decided to play in a block. It is true that there was this goal, which in retrospect was valid. I've been watching since, and I think there was no offside. We got together mentally after this opportunity, we kept our block compact, and there was the penalty and we won the match and the African Cup.

"It was Milla's last match"
Precisely, you were the captain and it is Roger Milla who raises the trophy, and stays on the pictures in the history books. How did that happen ?

At the end of the match, I went to see Claude le Roy and told him that as Roger stopped his career, it was good that he was the one who went to look for the trophy, a kind of memory for his last game with us. Some of them disagreed, but I told them that the main thing was done, we had won the trophy, and it was not that Mbouh took the trophy which was the main thing. Of course, it is an important personal honor, but since the essential thing was done, I found it a good thing to leave this honor to Roger.

What advice do you give your young successors for the double meeting in a few days?

As I said, playing against Nigeria is always very difficult. It will be necessary to be concentrated, to respect the instructions and not to make a lack of concentration.

"A high quality U15 Cameroonian in my workforce"
We do not often have the opportunity to have you. What do you become?

After I stopped playing, I opted for the coaching career. I graduated and I am currently in the United States. I trained at the Bethesda Soccer Club (Maryland), but I was not always in tune with the club's philosophy, so I decided to create an academy, Emile Star Soccer. And since then, a club, the Lions Soccer Club. I wanted Lions to keep a connection with Cameroon. We play in the youth championships, from U7 to U18, just before they go to university. We have many players called in the American youth teams, and two pros have already left our academy. There is one who plays in the first division in Colombia and Jeremy Ebobissé in Portland (MLS). The latter took part in the U20 World Cup a few months ago and is Cameroonian. I called to report, but there was no follow-up. Currently, I also have a young U15, of Cameroonian origin, to whom the American selections are already the court. But, I propose to him to play for Cameroon, hoping that this time there will be a return of the young breeders.

www.camfoot.com/dossiers/cameroun-nigeria-dans-l-histoire-souvenirs-d-acteurs,27503.html

Cameroon and Nigeria have met many times in the history of both selections. Their duels have often taken place at the top of continental football: three African Cup finals have in particular set the Cameroonian supremacy in the minds. On the World Cup pitch, the Cameroonians have once again taken the best by qualifying in a group stage, although the direct matches gave Nigeria an edge. On the occasion of the double confrontation of Friday and Tuesday, Camfoot makes you relive the meetings, by the actors of these moments of history.

Cameroon - Nigeria, it is first of all the story of two monsters of African football, the two nations that have had the best results in the world. An Olympic gold medal for each of the two countries, a quarter-finals of the World Cup for the indomitable Lions and three qualifications in the second round for the Super Eagles have registered Africa in the world ghotta. But, Cameroon - Nigeria, it is also many clashes, at the highest continental summit. If Nigeria has more victories (11 victories in 19 games), the Indomitable Lions have won since the 1980s the most important meetings. What makes popular say in the neighborhoods that "Nigeria is our wife".

1984, the beginnings

It is certain that the record of Nigeria would have been much more important if they had taken the best in the meetings that matter. The first feats of arms took place in Abidjan in 1984. On the heels of their beautiful 1982 World Cup, the indomitable Lions qualified for the final of the CAN, after having eliminated Algeria, another beautiful ambassador of African football in Spain, and the organizing country, Côte d'Ivoire. Faced with the team led by captain Theophile Abega, Nigeria, winner of the CAN in 1980. In a disputed game, one of the finest finals in the history of the competition, the Green Eagles then open the scored by Lawal (10th), before being dominated by Cameroonians on goals from Ndjeya, Abega and Ebongue (3-1).

In Abidjan (stadium Félix Houphouët-Boigny),

CAMEROON - NIGERIA: 3-1 (1-1). 50,000 spectators. Referee: Mr. Bennaceur (TUN). Goals: Ndjeya (32nd), Abega (79th), Ebongue (84th) for Cameroon; Mudashiru Lawal (10th) for Nigeria.

CAMEROON: Joseph-Antoine Bell - Charles Toubé, René Ndjeya, Francois Doumbé Léa, Isabel Sinkot - Theophile Abega, Grégoire Mbida, Ibrahim Aoudou, Ernest Ebongué, Roger Milla and Bonaventure Djonkep. Entr. : Rade Ognanovic.

NIGERIA: Patrick Okala - Paul Kingsley, Stephen Keshi, Sunday Eboigbe, Yisa Sofuluwe - Mudashiru Lawal, Ademola Adesina (Paul Okoku, 83rd), Humphrey Edobor - Bala Ali (Clement Temile, 45th), Henry Nwosu, James Etokebe. Entr. : Festus Adegboye Onigbinde.

1988, Mbouh never doubted

Four years later, rebelote. The final of the CAN again opposes the neighbors of the West African coast. The game is more defensive in the image of the tournament, one of the most defensive in history. If Nigeria believes to open the mark, the referee refuses the goal for an offside. The match is unlocked by an action of Milla, which provokes a penalty, that transform Emmanuel Kundé (1-0). l Louis-Paul Mfédé, the usual shooter gave way, scorched by his failure in semi-final against Badou Zaki. No goal will be entered then. Cameroon is champion for the second time in its history, it is a Cameroon of a formidable efficiency, since the champion finishes the tournament with a total of four registered goals (in five games). Three victories by 1 goal to 0, and a draw in the group stage against the same Nigeria (1-1) allow the indomitable Lions of Claude Le Roy to win. Captain of this team, Emile Mbouh leaves the veteran Roger Milla, of which it should have been the last meeting with the Lions, to take the trophy from the hands of the one who would later become Mohamed VI.

1989, Omam delivers an epic duel with Keshi

1989, it is the World Cup which invites itself, and offers both nations an opportunity to gauge. The second qualifying round places them in Group C with Angola and Gabon. It is a first in Africa, the group stage. So far the qualifiers have been played in knock-out meetings. Defeated on their way to Enugu on Matchday 3, the Indomitable Lions seem to be getting on the wrong side at the end of the three-point phase (a draw, a win, a defeat) and the prospect of a trip to Angola who had taken a point in Yaoundé (1-1). Stéphane Tataw and his partners will make a no fault by taking the best on Angola (1-3) and Gabon (2-1). Two weeks after facing Gabon, the match for the first place qualifier is played at the stadium Omnisports of Yaounde stormed by about 90,000 people. The data is clear: both teams have seven points, and Nigeria who lost Samuel Okwaradji following a cardiac arrest in the field, has a better goal difference. Any other result that a victory would eliminate the Cameroonians. The Lions prove that they have the resource by taking the best on the Super Eagles, the goal of the victory is inscribed by Omam-Biyik (1-0). Cameroon qualify for the third qualifying round against Tunisia (3-0, 1-0). The following year, this team will illuminate a dull World Cup and qualify for the World Cup quarterfinals.

2000, Cameroon takes back the crown

Last fixture, the final of the CAN 2000 in Nigeria. In full reconstruction, the indomitable Lions arrive in Ghana, which co-organizes the competition in outsiders. A solid first lap qualifies them for the quarterfinals, then they take the best on Algeria (2-1) and Tunisia (3-0). In the final, they find Nigeria for the third time in history. The Super Eagles are the African team of the moment, with players in the best European clubs, the country being the first to benefit from the changes due to Bosman. Reigning Olympic champions, they emerge from a mixed World Cup, but after being the only team to be out of the pools. And on the continental level, their supremacy was never questioned: winners of the CAN in 1994, they could not defend their title in 1996 because of political problems and were suspended in 1998. The defection of the Zimbabwe gives them the opportunity to win the African trophy in front of their audience twenty years after the first. Another element is the African Unity Trophy, which will become the property of the winning country, with the two teams winning the trophy twice (1980 and 1994 for the Eagles, 1984 and 1988 for the Lions). The game is launched quickly. After resisting, the Lions take the lead with goals from their new attack duo Mboma and Eto'o. While we think they will reach the break with two goals in advance, Chukwu reduces the mark. The return of the locker room is an opportunity for Jay-Jay Okocha to demonstrate why he is then one of the most expensive players in the world, his takeover clears the window of Boukar. His celebration seems to conjure a spell, he makes no finger, refusing defeat at home. Everything has to be done again (2-2), the two teams go for blow, seem each in turn about to crack. The Lions finish better, but it will take the penalty shootout to decide between them. The Lions won 4 penalty shoot-outs at 3, and won the trophy. A few months later, they won the Olympic Games, before confirming their new continental supremacy two years later. The irony of the story is that this domination ended in 2004 in Monastir on a elimination in the quarterfinals ... by Nigeria.

So, you see why we must beat Cameroun in Yaoundé

(1) (Reply)

Photo: Wafu 2017 Newly Updated Fixtures Table / Arsenal Congratulate Iwobi For Taking Nigeria To Russia / Michael Jackson's Son Blanket Shows His Punching Power In Taekwondo-photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.