Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,112 members, 7,821,820 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Whom Say Ye That I Am? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Whom Say Ye That I Am? (348 Views)

"Ye That Love The Lord Hate Evil." / "Say Ye To The Righteous, That It Shall Be Well With Him." / "Say Ye To The Righteous, That It Shall Be Well With Him." (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Whom Say Ye That I Am? by tsquare299(m): 8:46am On Sep 05, 2017
TEXT: MATTHEW 16:13-19
TOPIC: WHOM SAY YE THAT I AM?

In the above text, Jesus Christ asked his disciples who people said he was. His disciples answered Him, some said He was Elijah, some one of the Prophets, some john the Baptist. Jesus then asked His disciples “who do you think I am?” Jesus Christ had to ask His disciples this important question because it is ok if the people of the world do not know whom He is but it is disastrous for His disciples not to know Him.
Thank God one of Jesus’ disciples Simon peter knew who He was and gave Jesus the right answer. Jesus Christ is asking you the same question He asked his disciples at Phillipi that “who do you think I am?”
From the text above, I can see that there are two sources of God’s revelation, I mean one can know God via two ways. The first source is from other’s people testimony about God and the second one is through one’s personal revelation of God.
REVELATIONS OF GOD FROM OTHERS

As good as this source of revelation is our Lord Jesus Christ is not satisfied with it. This source of God’s revelation rely solely on someone else’s revelation or testimony about Jesus Christ. This source of revelation is good because no one can become a Christian/disciple without it. We became Christians because someone witnessed to us about Jesus Christ, someone told us who Jesus Christ is to him personally. This source of revelation is good but not the best because it doesn’t encourage spiritual growth and development, any disciple/Christian who solely rely on this revelation will ever remain a baby in faith.
Today, we get revelations of others about Jesus Christ through mentorship, preaching, Christian articles, literatures, novels, e.t.c. As I said earlier, it is good to get revelations of Jesus Christ through these means but you can see in the above text that Jesus Christ was not satisfied with what other people tell you He is, He want to know what He is to you.
Today, we have Christians/disciples whose national anthem is my pastor/mentor/general overseer says, it is good to quote and believe what our spiritual heads told us but it is best for us to get our own revelations from Jesus Christ directly. The danger of relying on people’s revelation is that the revelation might be wrong or not good enough because it is human revelations (Matt 16:17 living bible translation). Let us consider people’s view about Jesus Christ to see how dangerous it is to solely rely on others revelations of Jesus Christ.
John the Baptist; some Israelite see Jesus as John the Baptist. These people are wrong because Jesus is not John the Baptist.
Elijah/Jeremiah; Jesus Christ is neither Elijah nor Jeremiah.
One of the Prophets: people with this view are close to the answer because Jesus Christ is a prophet but more than a prophet.
Can you see that only one out of the three answers is close to what Jesus Christ really is? There is danger in relying on what other tell you Jesus Christ is. continue on www.logos6715..com

(1) (Reply)

Opposition To Sukuk: Can Is Playing ‘dog In The Manger’ / Opinion: Religious People Are Generally Less Intelligent Than Non-Religious Ones / “The Spirit of David and Jehu runs through us both - Reason I support Fayose-Ffk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.