Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

The Need For Good Verbal Communication Skills - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Need For Good Verbal Communication Skills (774 Views)

Lantern Book Six Quantitative And Verbal Reasoning Solutions / Simple Ways To Improve Your Communication Skills / Verbal Reasoning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Need For Good Verbal Communication Skills by Educareful: 9:50pm On Sep 06, 2017
Have you ever felt like speaking but unable to express yourself? Do you want to ask your lecturer questions in the class but bad communication skill is a constraint? You become unintentionally taciturn among your friends because of your bad grammar? Are you not confident enough to talk to the girl you have been craving for due to your communication skill? Do you practice what you want to say before stepping out of your room and yet still fail to express yourself? Do you feel diffident when you want to speak or you think you are just unforthcoming and lacking in self-confidence? In effect, bad communication skills will restrain you from doing lots of things you would like to do. I am not trying to do a “Larry King” here; well, I am actually trying to save your ass to let you know how essential good communication skill is. Like ‘Larry King’ purported “we’ve all gotta talk”. I am not writing this because I am a mass communication student, but, as a mathematics student that needs to communicate well for good elucidation. I hope this write-up will take away the questions aforementioned. Actually, there are lots of situations where it can be difficult to speak good English, and there are situations where we could have done better. Believe me, I speak really well when I am with my family and close friends. Why is it so? Is it because we are family, they would not spot my mistakes? Or, because your friends are just as deficient in communication that you feel good around them? - Apparently, when I get back to school I become, reticent, uncommunicative, and unwillingly docile, and that is because I am afraid to speak English, good English! And, there are people who speak really well that I feel inferior to. English as the lingua franca in Nigeria has made it compulsory to become an efficient speaker of English language. Communication is pivotal in any endeavor regardless of your specialty, grade; however, being a student has triggered the need to become an extremely good speaker. Even if not extremely good, been fairly good is enough to spur you into great standards.

Academics

Communication is essential, due to the fact that you will need it on your project, presentations, and essay writings. Therefore, to do these well. You will need to discuss problems, give instructions, work in teams, and interact with colleagues and lecturers with a well spoken English language. Most students are very deficient in communication, which is really heartbreaking and disappointing. During my first year in the university, I realize most graduate might not get employed because of their deficiency in the English language. It does not matter if your course of study is mathematics, electrical engineering, economics, accounting or any other courses you might think you do not need to speak good English, “after all, you did not study English in the University”, my brother/sister, you might remain unemployed for years if you have this belief. For example, I have a senior in his last session in the university, who is very brilliant; most people consider him as a student that can attain a first class degree, but, the downturn of this is that he cannot communicate effectively. Whilst, most students affirmed that it is actually a ‘blessing in disguise’ for him, because he cannot speak good English, and might also make people disparage the first class graduates that can communicate well. Good expressions of English language guarantees you mark from your lecturers, in essay writings and presentations. Most 2.2 graduates that get a good recognition from their lecturers mostly are good communicators. I was awestruck when I met a guy that graduated with a 2.2 that speaks English fluently and explicitly; the first impression I had of this guy made me consider him a first class graduate. If you can speak good English and can also write well, most people will certainly consider you a brilliant student. Speaking well another language is a factor used in measuring IQ.

Securing an interview

Most Human Resource department of Nigerian companies complain of “not up to standard” students. The number one factor used in considering a good student is a good communication skill, the better your communication skills are the higher your brilliance. You have been in school for more than 10 years, and not being able to speak fluent English as a graduate; to me, is ridiculous. The most successful organizations understand that if they are to be successful in today’s business world, good communication at all levels is essential. They are certain things good communication skill will help you through. For example, Stronger decision-making and problem-solving, Upturn in productivity, convincing and compelling corporate materials clearer, more streamlined workflow, ability to convince your boss. Even as a student that wants to secure an interview with a scholarship board, you need to communicate effectively with your interviewer for the board to consider you worthy of the scholarship. But, if you can score really high in the exam and you cannot communicate well during the interview. Do you know what the interviewer will say? He/she would say “we will get back to you” that is the most common method applied by scholarship boards.

communication skills

To get the job

You will need to communicate well during your interview if you are to sell yourself and get the dream job you want. According to a 2016 survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), verbal communication skill is ranked first among a candidate’s must have skills and qualities. Good communication skill can help you land an interview and that first job in your new career. Being able to articulate all you know and can do, whether in spoken or written form, goes a long way in the application process. Communication is the heart of every organization. Everything you do in the workplace results from communication. Therefore, good reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills are essential if tasks are going to be completed and goals achieved. As you develop your career you will find various reasons why successful communication skills are important to you. One of the very best reasons to work on your communications skills is one of the simplest reasons: it is what employers want. In employer surveys, communication skills consistently rank at the top of the list of soft skills hiring managers are looking for in new hires. They want new employees to be able to listen, act and then explain those actions. Does that sound like you? If not, develop your communication skills.

To advance in your career

Employers want staff who can think for themselves, use initiative and solve problems, staff who are interested in the long-term success of the company. If you are to be seen as a valued member of the organization, it is important not just to be able to do your job well, but also to communicate your thoughts on how the processes and products or services can be improved. The advancement in your career has to do with how effective are your communication skills. You will go to places, travel out of the country, these people you will meet are not your friends you will confabulate with. These people are business minds, an enthusiast who is willing to improve their companies. You will need to communicate with them effectively to avoid misunderstanding. Also, as the workplace is also becoming more global, there are many factors to consider if you are to communicate well in such a diverse environment. If you want to succeed in your career, you need to know what you want and how to go after it. And you cannot do that without good communication skill. It can separate you from other applicants, help you be a more effective employee and serve as a stepping stone to leadership responsibilities and career advancement. Good communicators can explain their ideas to others in ways that make sense and are easy to understand. You’ll be able to tell your supervisor what you need to do to do your job well. You’ll also be able to talk with co-workers to make sure you’re all working together for the good of the company and its customers. For example, if you work in health care, it’s vital that you communicate well with your patients. Being an excellent communicator can help you land that promotion in your career and ensure a positive future.

communication skills

Social life

Your social life is essential; in today's highly informational and technological environment it has become increasingly important to have good communication skills. While many individuals still continue to struggle, the inability to communicate effectively will hold them back not only in their careers but in social and personal relationships. Good communication skill is key to success in life, work, and relationships. Without effective communication, a message can turn into error, misunderstanding, frustration, or even disaster by being misinterpreted or poorly delivered.

In conclusion, the words that we choose can make a big difference to whether other people understand us. You need to use simple language, short sentences, and check understanding regularly. It is quite different from a conversation with an old friend whom you have known for years, and with whom you may not even need to finish your sentences. It is time to pick up that forsaken grammar book of yours, pick up your dictionaries, learn new words and their usages, and learn phrasal verbs to make your communication concise and direct. It helps a lot. The need for good communication skill is beyond limitations; it revolves around every aspect of the modern day.

CREDIT: BALOGUN MUKTAR

Do you think some essential things are missing? Please comment below to express your thought...

Did you find the article beneficial? then SHARE below

Visit http://educareful.com for more insightful and motivational articles. Thanks....

Re: The Need For Good Verbal Communication Skills by swiz123(m): 9:58pm On Sep 06, 2017
This is really good op

1 Like

Re: The Need For Good Verbal Communication Skills by Educareful: 11:25pm On Sep 06, 2017
swiz123:
This is really good op
Thanks swiz123.
Visit http://educareful.com for more insightful and motivational articles. Thanks....
Re: The Need For Good Verbal Communication Skills by Educareful: 8:47pm On Sep 08, 2017
Hope you found the article useful

(1) (Reply)

E-learning And Its Benefits / The Top Current Accomodations And Hostel Around Unilag By Aiskworld / Cheap Tuition Universities In Cyprus For International Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.