Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,483 members, 7,823,119 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? (1629 Views)

Is There Sharing In The Church Today Like The Early Church? / The Early Church Magnified The Name Of Jesus! / Book Of Acts (Learn from the Apostles & the early church) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Hier(m): 11:42am On Sep 07, 2017
This is a continuation of this thread, well, I think there are more to write and if you have an additional helpful information.

www.nairaland.com/4008923/aftermath-dark-ages-quick-look

I was in church this day, and it was question and answer time, you sabi Anglican and their liturgy and all of that and like seriously, after all the tongues and flows of the spirit I enjoy under my Spiritual fathers ministry and all the long hours of praying in the spirit for a long time, I get home, and its like, no, I can't be sitting here, cause I can't feel anything so to say, at least, I would have love it, if the best, I can get is Gods presence, and many times, I would be singing my own song to create my own spiritual atmosphere, even within the church.

Yea, the man asked if the church today can be like the early church, well, I usually like seeing the way people reason, because how do you want to explain that the early church enjoyed a good period of miracles, signs and wonders, and here we are, at least, you self sabi now, so lemme allow you do the brain gymnastic, loooool, who told you am about to stop, I'm laying foundation, and don't even think am an athiest.

Barnabas the thief and do away with Jesus. Okay, nice picture, lemme give you Stephen, okay, John the baptist was beheaded. Stephen was stoned to death, and Paul spent many time in prison, remember, Paul and Silas, ehnnn ehmnn, so why do you think things were rosy, yea, the prison shook when Paul and Silas prayed. Well, that was then. But, have you heard about how the Apostles died, sorry, do you think they died, Catholic guys know better, okay, they were killed. I believe you know the difference between killed and died. To die, could be natural or by some intentional means - killed.

channel.nationalgeographic.com/killing-jesus/articles/how-did-the-apostles-die/

Haven established that all apostles aside John the beloved, who wrote the book of Revelations, after he was left to die at the Island of Patmos.

Revelation 1:9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Haven known all that, come lemme pat you. But truth be told, so many things have happened, tribulation unspeakable, full of persecutions, killings, and tribulations. So it has not been easy I will say, but it grew worse, especially when Rome burnt and the emperor blamed the Christians for it, and the punishment was simple, if that small girl can proof that Peter(a christian) was with Jesus(related to Christianity). That Christian is either burned to light the garden or imprisoned or done with.

I sabi say, if you were alive at that period, with the same trend continuing for about 500 years, more souls will be won, you will want to go to church on Sunday, shouting Halleluhia, in your high heel and suit. You will advise your children to study the Bible, you know, force them to go to night vigils and go out to preach the gospel.

Yea, well, I will address this question better later, but download this PDF for more info. I will copy and paste the Timeline soon.

Here is the link to the PDF or simple search Timeline of the church PDF

https://www.google.com.ng/url?q=http://www.churchtimeline.com/Documents/ChurchTimeline.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi94eei8ZLWAhVEZFAKHdrHAVkQFgggMAA&usg=AFQjCNFvj3ii0BuwvqI6aSd_pD1i80nSHg

continue this thread here

www.nairaland.com/4038604/what-led-why-christianity-looks
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Hier(m): 11:49am On Sep 07, 2017
f
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Kyllahmc(m): 12:18pm On Sep 07, 2017
because Catholic was the only church back then... immediately other churches started breaking out from Catholic everything got messed up...
now Church as we know it today is plain business.
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Hier(m): 12:57pm On Sep 07, 2017
Kyllahmc:
Catholic was the only church back then... immediately other churches started breaking out from Catholic
messed up...
now Church as we know it today is plain .

The truth is, catholic became the only church after the period of the persecution, catholic was never the first church, though we all have our origin from them, it was some belief by catholic that led to the division or
reformation of the church, I believe it was the right thing that could be done.

It pains me bro,and I feel your pain, but many people don't know this things and many folks need to know cause you start asking question and many have lost faith in God and tag the Bible "MYTH"

But, a time is coming when we would have it like Jesus said, Greater than this shall ye do

Do you believe in power giftings
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:10pm On Sep 09, 2017
Hier:

The truth is, catholic became the only church after the period of the persecution, catholic was never the first church, though we all have our origin from them, it was some belief by catholic that led to the division or
reformation of the church, I believe it was the right thing that could be done.

It pains me bro,and I feel your pain, but many people don't know this things and many folks need to know cause you start asking question and many have lost faith in God and tag the Bible "MYTH"

But, a time is coming when we would have it like Jesus said, Greater than this shall ye do

Do you believe in power giftings
1. the Catholic church is actually the first Church as she is linked directly to the apostles.

2. what happened at the Reformation was certainly not right it was schism and heresy, after the reformers accused the apostolic churches of heresy they all couldn't agree, they started to fight among themselves and fracturing into more and more contradictory sect. Jesus prayed may they be one, Paul taught one Faith, the reformers came and multiplied the faith and broke the oneness. that isn't a good thing.
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Hier(m): 7:47am On Sep 17, 2017
Ubenedictus:

1. the Catholic church is actually the first Church as she is linked directly to the apostles.

2. what happened at the Reformation was certainly not right it was schism and heresy, after the reformers accused the apostolic churches of heresy they all couldn't agree, they started to fight among themselves and fracturing into more and more contradictory sect. Jesus prayed may they be one, Paul taught one Faith, the reformers came and multiplied the faith and broke the oneness. that isn't a good thing.

What about the seven churches in Revelation, because it was in Acts 28 Paul got to Rome

Most of the church in Rev, were Paul's convert and some of the converts of other Apostles, before Paul got to Rome

Anyway, catholics are accepted among the beloved
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Dnaz(m): 10:11am On Sep 17, 2017
Hier:

What about the seven churches in Revelation, because it was in Acts 28 Paul got to Rome

Most of the church in Rev, were Paul's convert and some of the converts of other Apostles, before Paul got to Rome

Those churches are what came to be known as the one holy Catholic and Apostolic church and they all had one baptism. One faith
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Dnaz(m): 10:20am On Sep 17, 2017
Hier:

Paul only came to Rome in chains. He had already been arrested and wasn't released if u read the acts of the apostles to the end. He was still under arrest whilst making the voyage to Rome. He sure wrote to the Roman Church and was influential to them . Tradition says he arrived Rome for his appeal to Cesar and was under house arrest until his death. It was Peter Who later moved from Antioch to Rome to become its first bishop. Tradition also says Paul avoided crucifixion and being let to be mauled by beasts in the Coliseum only because he was a Roman Citizen. Paul was eventually beheaded, An execution more fitting for a Roman Citizen. Peter on the other hand was not a Roman citizen, he didn't have Paul's privilege . He was eventually apprehended and was sentenced to be crucified but he opted to be crucified upside down because he wasn't worthy to die exactly like Christ
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Hier(m): 10:26am On Sep 17, 2017
Dnaz:

Those churches are what came to be known as the one holy Catholic and Apostolic church and they all s h baptism. One faith

The church was never meant to be one except in doctrine.

Paul said, as there are many members, and every members are one.

see 1 corinthians 12:12-16
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Hier(m): 10:34am On Sep 17, 2017
Dnaz:

Paul only came to Rome in chains. He had already been arrested and wasn't released if u read the acts of the apostles to the end. He was still under arrest whilst making the voyage to Rome. He sure wrote to the Roman Church and was influential to them . Tradition says he arrived Rome for his appeal to Cesar and was under house arrest until his death. It was Peter Who later moved from Antioch to Rome to become its first bishop. Tradition also says Paul avoided crucifixion and being let to be mauled by beasts in the Coliseum only because he was a Roman Citizen. Paul was eventually beheaded, An execution more fitting for a Roman Citizen. Peter on the other hand was not a Roman citizen, he didn't have Paul's privilege . He was eventually apprehended and was sentenced to be crucified but he opted to be crucified upside down because he wasn't worthy to die exactly like Christ

Well, one thing I can infer based on the catholic beliefs is, they don't really look like they have the real deal.
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Didov1(f): 11:37am On Sep 17, 2017
Hier:

Well, one thing I can infer based on the catholic beliefs is, they don't really look like they have the real deal.
...the real deal in what way?
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Hier(m): 11:48am On Sep 17, 2017
Didov1:
I am still waiting for the response to my question? Thanks
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Didov1(f): 11:59am On Sep 17, 2017
Hier:

I am still waiting for the response to my question? Thanks
same here....happy sunday

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 3:52pm On Sep 18, 2017
Hier:

the churches in revelation, the Asia minor, Antioch etc are all part of the Catholic church.
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by revelatiorcm(m): 8:47pm On Sep 18, 2017
the times are different,
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Hier(m): 5:34am On Sep 19, 2017
=Ubenedictus post=60586738] the churches in revelation, the Asia minor, Antioch etc are all parto of the Catholic church.

no proof.
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by MightySparrow: 5:54am On Sep 19, 2017
You have said it all one is early the other is late.
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:42am On Sep 19, 2017
Hier:

no proof.
if you care so much about proof why not read church history particularly the church fathers?

Ignatius disciple of st john became bishop of Antioch, polycarp from asia minor was bishop of Smyrna there and appointed by John and died a martyr. you can read up the early church. those churches are part of the Catholic church and have been for centuries
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:52am On Sep 19, 2017
Hier:

The church was never meant to be one except in doctrine.

Paul said, as there are many members, and every members are one.

see 1 corinthians 12:12-16
one Lord, one faith, one baptism.

the church was always supposed to have unity in doctrine I e one faith, unity in sacrament, and unity in leadership, that is why even the apostle Paul went back to Jerusalem so as be assured communion with other church leaders and he received the hand of fellowship .
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Hier(m): 2:29pm On Sep 19, 2017
Ubenedictus:
one Lord, one faith, one baptism.

the church was always supposed to have unity in doctrine I e one faith, unity in sacrament, and unity in leadership, that is why even the apostle Paul went back to Jerusalem so as be assured communion with other church leaders and he received the hand of .

Unity in leadership. Jesus is the leadership. 2 Tim2:2, Heb1:2, John 4:20-24, Eph4:11(some are apostles, some is not one or unity as you claim)

Paul said, not Apollo, not Cephas(peter), not Paul but Jesus is our leader. 1 Corinthians 3:22-23. We are under Christ, the leadership, not catholic

Lord is Jesus Romans 10:12-13

Faith is believes or identity or uniqueness from other carnality Romans 10

Baptism is death and self denial.Roman 6:4

Nothing like catholic here.
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:18am On Sep 20, 2017
Hier:

Unity in leadership. Jesus is the leadership. 2 Tim2:2, Heb1:2, John 4:20-24, Eph4:11(some are apostles, some is not one or unity as you claim)

Paul said, not Apollo, not Cephas(peter), not Paul but Jesus is our leader. 1 Corinthians 3:22-23. We are under Christ, the leadership, not catholic

Lord is Jesus Romans 10:12-13

Faith is believes or identity or uniqueness from other carnality Romans 10

Baptism is death and self denial.Roman 6:4

Nothing like catholic here.

Together, we are his house, built on the
foundation of the apostles and the prophets.
And the cornerstone is Christ Jesus himself.
eph 2:20

the apostles share in this leadership according to scripture, these apostles and their successors are also in fellowship with one another. and scriptures tell us that they too preserved a unity of faith and fellowship. if your own idea of the church doesn't have that unity, then you are not in the church of the apostles.
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by revelatiorcm(m): 1:51pm On Sep 20, 2017
in my attempt to answer you.... If i may humbly ask, sincerely so... why are you not as you were born?
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Hier(m): 4:35am On Sep 22, 2017
Didov1:

I believe the books of Acts and all therein is the least God expect from the Christians today

Prov4:18, 2 Corinthians 3:18, John14:12
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Hier(m): 4:42am On Sep 22, 2017
revelatiorcm:
in my attempt to answer you....
If i may humbly ask, sincerely so...
why are you not as you were born?

I have grown in wisdom and knowledge compare to the bolded

Am sorry, I really don't have much opportunity to reply comments unless those that I'm having one or two things to do with. see Matt5:6, Is 55:1, Matt28:20, 2 Tim2:2, Mark 3:14, Shalom
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by revelatiorcm(m): 9:40am On Sep 22, 2017
Hier:

I have grown in wisdom and knowledge compare to the bolded

Am sorry, I really don't have much opportunity to reply comments unless those that I'm having one or two things to do with. see Matt5:6, Is 55:1, Matt28:20, 2 Tim2:2, Mark 3:14, Shalom

now my reason of asking you that question is this:The church has grown also, as prophesied in 2 Timothy 4
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Didov1(f): 11:38am On Sep 22, 2017
Hier:

I believe the books of Acts and all therein is the least God expect from the Christians today

Prov4:18, 2 Corinthians 3:18, John14:12
hmmmn..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by GlorifiedTunde(m): 11:42am On Sep 22, 2017
My fellow Christian brothers and sisters, lets not permit this religious insensitivity on Nairaland.

https://www.nairaland.com/4071652/petition-against-religious-insensitivity-nairaland
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Hier(m): 2:19pm On Sep 22, 2017
GlorifiedTunde:
My fellow Christian brothers and sisters, lets not permit this religious insensitivity on Nairaland.

https://www.nairaland.com/4071652/petition-against-religious-insensitivity-nairaland

explain
Re: Why Is The Church Today Different From The Early Church? by Hier(m): 9:15am On Oct 29, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Any Pastor Who Does Not Have A Day Job Is A Thief” – Nigerian Man Says / Last Facebook Post Of Pastor Adeboye's Son, Dare Resurfaces Online / Top 20 Biblical Verses That Prove Paul Contradicted Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.