Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,846 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:33 AM

Meet Adobe's Featured UX Designer: Joshua Oluwagbemiga - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Meet Adobe's Featured UX Designer: Joshua Oluwagbemiga (1556 Views)

Stephens Arrt Draws Anthony Joshua: A Nairalander's Photorealistic Drawing / Eli Waduba: Boy Who Drew Painting Of Kevin Hart Featured On Steve Harvey Show / A Nairalander Painting Featured On Channels TV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Meet Adobe's Featured UX Designer: Joshua Oluwagbemiga by AAinEqGuinea: 5:16pm On Sep 07, 2017

Following a slightly roundabout route to UX and UI design that started with a love for gaming that eventually led to designing apps and websites, Joshua Oluwagbemiga’s passion for producing engaging online projects only grows greater the more he learns about the industry and develops his skills. From his homebase in Lagos, Nigeria, he works full-time at the software development company Intelia, but still finds time to get involved in creative community both online–in forums like Behance–and offline, where he meets up with other designers to talk shop and support each other. We Skyped with Josh at the end of a busy Monday about how good UX and UI design can make users care about a banking app, the allure of trap music, and discovering the “Jedi of design.”

What drew you to UX/UI design, and how did you get your start?

I played a lot of games growing up–like Call of Duty, Mortal Combat Deception, Winning Eleven, and Freedom Fighters–and eventually got curious about how they were made. I began studying 3D design about four years ago through online courses and personal projects, but it was really complex and I felt like I needed a more comprehensive education to master it. I thought about saving up money to go to Gnomon in Los Angeles [a school for computer graphics in the entertainment industry], but eventually decided to transfer my creative powers to another field instead. I started exploring and discovered UX and UI design, and have been in love ever since.

Because of my 3D design experience, I had a solid background in things like color theory and grid placements; once I got into UI and UX, everything just kind of fell into place. I started working at marketing agency after graduation, and everything’s just gone from there.

How does Adobe Creative Cloud fit into your creative process?

I’ve always been a paper and pencil guy, so I usually start sketching UI ideas and elements for a few hours before I go digital. Then I take those concepts into Adobe XD, which I’ve been using regularly for almost a year now. The software is so clean and its foundation is so impressive. It quickly became my favorite program because it’s so fast, and allows me to communicate with my clients in real time about our projects; I can send a link instead of a large file, and they can see changes I’ve made, provide instant feedback, and leave comments as well.

How do you get into the mindset of your potential users?

At the beginning of every project I tackle, I make sure that I define a specific target audience (TA), then I’ll study and research what resonates with them, looking at everything from existing apps in the marketplace to larger trends to colors to general habits. This helps develop a strong foundation for the visual design.

The actual user testing process varies based on budget. For most projects, I show colleagues and friends rough sketches of what I have in the pre-wireframe phase to see if they can understand the basics. Based on their feedback I’ll develop wireframes, then show those to the same people to see if they can follow the methodology of the app or site. I refine their input to begin the visual design. Usually at the end of that phase, we’ll employ a larger user testing process, bringing people from the pre-defined target audience to try out the app or site and study if ideal usability is achieved

Let’s look at a few of your projects. What was your process like creating PAWS, a template for veterinarian offices, and AIICO Pension Plus, an app for managing finances?

PAWS is a client based in the United States that wanted to offer veterinarians a fresh approach to present their services online. I started doing research and realized that lots of existing vet websites are really stale and bland; we decided to offer modern HTML templates in three gradient color themes that would really resonate with a variety of pet owners, with options to book appointments, view galleries, and learn about the staff.

AIICO Pension Plus App wireframes by Joshua Oluwagbemiga on Behance

Read more about Josh and his projects:
https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/meet-the-ux-designer-joshua-oluwagbemiga/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Adobe's Featured UX Designer: Joshua Oluwagbemiga by faithogiga(m): 12:30am On Oct 12, 2017
Bahd guy

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Watch Extended Version Of Nigerian Animation, Chicken Core: The Rise Of Kings. / ...become A Professional Computer Graphic Artist, Video Editor, 3D Animatior... / Please Who Can Help Me Design A Logo For Free?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.