Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,742 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? (1822 Views)

The Ooni Of Ife Wearing The Aare Crown As He Parades The Ancient Ife Town / Are Igbos Descended From Ancient Sumerians? / Chadic Family Language Speakers Partially Descended From The Horn Of Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Sep 08, 2017
I personally do, because in appearance and linguistic, Ancient Egyptians were relatively related more with the ppl in the Horn of Africa than in any other ppl. I'm referring the Ancient Egyptians prior from foreign invasions.

The Ancient Egyptians themselves said that their ancestors came from the land of Punt. The Kingdom of Punt was a trading partner of Ancient Egypt and it territory had covered present day Eritrea, northern Ethiopia and northern Somalia.

Ancient Egyptians language (extinct) belongs to Afro-Asiatic super family. There are 2 theories for the place origin of Afro-Asiatic (Horn of Africa or North Africa). But recently scholars are saying that it definitely originated in the Horn of Africa.

Through time, this (Afro-Asiatic) then one language started to diversify into other languages and now, there are 6 family languages within it. They are:-
1. Cushitic family language
2. Semitic family language
3. Omotic family language
4. Berber family language
5. Chadic family language
6. Ancient Egyptian language (extinct)

But the main purpose for this topic is, do you also agree with my belief or believe in another theory/ies?

Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Sep 08, 2017
No I don't think so I think they migrated from mesopotania or Greece
Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 12:24am On Sep 09, 2017
Danielmoore:
No I don't think so
I think they migrated from mesopotania or Greece
Reason/s?

But it's fine by me if you don't give since it's opinion based question.
Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 4:00am On Sep 09, 2017
100% As an afro asiatic speaker there are certain similarities that make it very hard to ignore these links.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 4:06am On Sep 09, 2017
Ersan:
100% As an afro asiatic speaker there are certain similarities that make it very hard to ignore these links.
Good
If I ask, which Afro-Asiatic language do you speak?
Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 4:15am On Sep 09, 2017
Hati13:

Good
If I ask, which Afro-Asiatic language do you speak?

Hausa.
Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Phut(f): 4:19am On Sep 09, 2017
Danielmoore:
No I don't think so
I think they migrated from mesopotania or Greece

He asked, Pre-invasion. The Ancient Egyptians, the Early Dynasty Kings and subjects were definitely Africans and not mesopotamians or Greeks. You can even see it from the drawings they made of themselves. Brown/dark skin and even the hair styles they had (twisted to look somewhat like dreadlocs and cut in a bang on the forehead) In fact Ethiopians wear that hair style even to the present day. And Greeks/mesopotamians can never achieve that hair style with their hair texture. White usurpers, knowing this, claimed that the Queens (e.g Nefertiti) would shave their hair bald to avoid lice and that that which they wore on their head was a wig. Now, that is a bald faced lie if I ever heard one. Lice can also infest wigs, and feed on you when you place the wig on your head

3 Likes

Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 4:20am On Sep 09, 2017
Ersan:

Hausa.
So, do you also believe that your partial ancestors descended from the Horn of Africa (Western Ethiopia to be specific) recently (8000-6000 BC or 10,000-8000 BP)?
Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 4:26am On Sep 09, 2017
Hati13:

So, do you also believe that your partial ancestors descended from the Horn of Africa (Western Ethiopia to be specific) recently (8000-6000 BC or 10,000-8000 BP)?

There are some of our scholars who believe that we descended from ethiopia, like the recently departed dan masanin kano (RIJF) but that was just a theory. The link to ancient egypt though has been paid much more attention with many historians picking out cultural, religious and linguistic similarities between us and the ancient egyptians.

Our history is just too messed up, too many theories and too many irregularities.

BTW, Will be travelling through your airline tomorrow so i will be spending a few hours in your country for the fifth time, you lot seem very nice though i've never left the airport, lol!

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Phut(f): 4:29am On Sep 09, 2017
@Hati13,

I 100% agree with you that the Ancient Egyptians came from the Horn of Africa. DNA analysis of the mummies of the Pharoahs show them as being overwhelmingly African. They even recently looked at the skull shape of the mummies and determined that it was distinctly African and not Caucasian. One lady however tried to cast doubt by stating that even though the skull shapes were African, the nostril width was too narrow too narrow to be African. I call hogwash on that. Africans are the most phenotypically diverse people. While some people in Nigeria have broad noses, others have narrow noses. Now when you go to the horn of Africa, narrow noses are overwhelmingly the norm. Even in Kenya, you will come across dark skinned people with narrow noses and thin lips

2 Likes

Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 4:52am On Sep 09, 2017
Ersan:

There are some of our scholars who believe that we descended from ethiopia, like the recently departed dan masanin kano (RIJF) but that was just a theory. The link to ancient egypt though has been paid much more attention with many historians picking out cultural, religious and linguistic similarities between us and the ancient egyptians.

Our history is just too messed up, too many theories and too many irregularities.

BTW, Will be travelling through your airline tomorrow so i will be spending a few hours in your country for the fifth time, you lot seem very nice though i've never left the airport, lol!
Not only yours, but most of the world History is theory, theory..........and theory.

It's nice to hear that you had and will also going to use our national airline (helping our economy) and have positive attitude towards us.

You should definitely visit the Ethiopia out of the Ethiopian Airport.

Tomorrow, I may probably come to our airport to say bye to my relative who is going abroad. I will shout your name "Ersan" and could you do vice verse also lol?
Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 4:56am On Sep 09, 2017
Phut:
@Hati13,

I 100% agree with you that the Ancient Egyptians came from the Horn of Africa. DNA analysis of the mummies of the Pharoahs show them as being overwhelmingly African. They even recently looked at the skull shape of the mummies and determined that it was distinctly African and not Caucasian. One lady however tried to cast doubt by stating that even though the skull shapes were African, the nostril width was too narrow too narrow to be African. I call hogwash on that. Africans are the most phenotypically diverse people. While some people in Nigeria have broad noses, others have narrow noses. Now when you go to the horn of Africa, narrow noses are overwhelmingly the norm. Even in Kenya, you will come across dark skinned people with narrow noses and thin lips
You are definitely right. Africa is the most diverse place on Earth and the Ancient Egyptians truly were Africans with diverse skin tone and appearance.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 6:04am On Sep 09, 2017
Hati13:

Not only yours, but most of the world History is theory, theory..........and theory.

It's nice to hear that you had and will also going to use our national airline (helping our economy) and have positive attitude towards us.

You should definitely visit the Ethiopia out of the Ethiopian Airport.

Tomorrow, I may probably come to our airport to say bye to my relative who is going abroad. I will shout your name "Ersan" and could you do vice verse also lol?

Yeah but some theories have translated into facts and I wish we can get such clearer answers on this topic.

Like I said, you lot are very friendly although one of you called me a Somali once, should I be offended? Lol

Maybe one of these days when I'm less busy I will definitely try to visit.
Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by RedboneSmith(m): 7:04am On Sep 09, 2017
Ancient Egyptians were not 100% one-thing.

There were surely elements that came from the Horn, and it was this element that brought the Afro-Asiatic language of Ancient Egypt with them.

There was also elements that came from the drying-out Sahara Desert to the west, and this element is thought to have brought the tradition of mummification, a cow cult and some other aspects that went into the religion of the Ancient Egyptians.

There were other elements that came from Western Asia, and is thought to have introduced crops like wheat and barley and also the wheel to Egypt.

All these elements were drawn to the fertile Nile Valley very early in history, and they mixed there to produce the Ancient Egyptian people.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by macof(m): 7:44am On Sep 09, 2017
RedboneSmith:

There were surely elements that came from the Horn, and it was this element that brought the Afro-Asiatic language of Ancient Egypt with them.

There was also elements that came from the drying-out Sahara Desert to the west, and this element is thought to have brought the tradition of mummification, a cow cult and some other aspects that went into the religion of the Ancient Egyptians.

There were other elements that came from Western Asia, and is thought to have introduced crops like wheat and barley and also the wheel to Egypt.

All these elements were drawn to the fertile Nile Valley very early in history, and they mixed there to produce the Ancient Egyptian people.

I most agree with this.

Also the predynasty era had independent upper and lower Egypt who were in many ways different

Upper Egypt appears to have had a lot of influence from more southern parts of Africa: mumificàtion and burial traditions, pottery etc

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 8:57am On Sep 09, 2017
Ersan:

Yeah but some theories have translated into facts and I wish we can get such clearer answers on this topic.

Like I said, you lot are very friendly although one of you called me a Somali once, should I be offended? Lol

Maybe one of these days when I'm less busy I will definitely try to visit.
I don't think you should. It's just a name. And I also think that it isn't me who called you, but is it really me or other Ethiopian?
Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 9:04am On Sep 09, 2017
RedboneSmith:

It makes totally sense. It's mixing with other ppl who differentiate you from your one/more than one ancestors and creat a distinct ethnic for that ppl. I can now say that I believe in the theory/perspective you presented.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 09, 2017
Phut:

He asked, Pre-invasion. The Ancient Egyptians, the Early Dynasty Kings and subjects were definitely Africans and not mesopotamians or Greeks. You can even see it from the drawings they made of themselves. Brown/dark skin and even the hair styles they had (twisted to look somewhat like dreadlocs and cut in a bang on the forehead) In fact Ethiopians wear that hair style even to the present day. And Greeks/mesopotamians can never achieve that hair style with their hair texture. White usurpers, knowing this, claimed that the Queens (e.g Nefertiti) would shave their hair bald to avoid lice and that that which they wore on their head was a wig. Now, that is a bald faced lie if I ever heard one. Lice can also infest wigs, and feed on you when you place the wig on your head

An average Egyptian has the thick hairy skin which the Greeks also have
the idear of stone buildings started in ancient Greece before some labourer's crossed the Nile an migrated to present day Egypt
check out Egyptian architecture and compare with Greeks
Ethiopians don't have any similarities with Egyptians

hati13
Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 9:22am On Sep 09, 2017
Hati13:
I personally do, because in appearance and linguistic, Ancient Egyptians were relatively related more with the ppl in the Horn of Africa than in any other ppl. I'm referring the Ancient Egyptians prior from foreign invasions.

The Ancient Egyptians themselves said that their ancestors came from the land of Punt. The Kingdom of Punt was a trading partner of Ancient Egypt and it territory had covered present day Eritrea, northern Ethiopia and northern Somalia.

Ancient Egyptians language (extinct) belongs to Afro-Asiatic super family. There are 2 theories for the place origin of Afro-Asiatic (Horn of Africa or North Africa). But recently scholars are saying that it definitely originated in the Horn of Africa.

Through time, this (Afro-Asiatic) then one language started to diversify into other languages and now, there are 6 family languages within it. They are:-
1. Cushitic family language
2. Semitic family language
3. Omotic family language
4. Berber family language
5. Chadic family language
6. Ancient Egyptian language (extinct)

But the main purpose for this topic is, do you also agree with my belief or believe in another theory/ies?

are the tigwaray semitic or cushitic
Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by RedboneSmith(m): 9:41am On Sep 09, 2017
Danielmoore:

the idear of stone buildings started in ancient Greece before some labourer's crossed the Nile an migrated to present day Egypt

hati13

Stone building started in ancient Greece?

What the hell are you talking about? The pyramids were built of stone at a time when there was no Greece to speak of. In the early phase of her history, Greece was learning from Egypt and not the other way around.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 9:59am On Sep 09, 2017
Danielmoore:

hati13
I now believe that the ancestors of Ancient Egyptians weren't from one place. I agree with RedboneSmith answer.

The similarities in architecture between Ancient Egypt and Greek is because the Greeks adopted many of the knowledge from Egypt. The civilization of Ancient Egypt started long before there was even permanent settlement in Greek. Even the civilization of Ethiopia is older than Greek.
- Egypt: 3400 BC
- Ethiopia: 980 BC
- Greek: 650 BC

And there is similarities between Ancient Egyptians and Ethiopians in terms of linguistic and appearance. For example in appearance, see the above Cushite Afar ppl (Ethiopians).

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 10:11am On Sep 09, 2017
Danielmoore:

are the tigwaray semitic or cushitic
Ethiopian Tigray, Eritrean Tigrinya and Eritrean igri are all Semitic languages speaking ppl.

By the way, all the Semitic languages speaking Ethiopians/Eritreans are genetically more related with their fellow Cushitic languages speakers than the Semitic languages speakers in Arabia and North Africa. There isn't that much different between Semitic and Cushitic speaking Ethiopians/Eritreans in their Eurasia DNA components.
Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 11:06am On Sep 09, 2017
What I wonder is why so much interest and fights over Egypt? Or is it because its on the African continent? I there were greater kingdoms like Babylon undecided

Very Old Egyptian Hieroglyphic Art

BTW, why are the women lighter in sdkin colour? Ancient skin bleach grin
Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 09, 2017
Hati13:

I don't think you should. It's just a name. And I also think that it isn't me who called you, but is it really me or other Ethiopian?

Wasn't you, it was at the airport. LOL

And no it's not just a name. I don't know your politics over there in the east.
Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 09, 2017
Ersan:

Wasn't you, it was at the airport. LOL

And no it's not just a name. I don't know your politics over there in the east.
May be they though you were Somalian lol
Re: Do You Believe That The Ancient Egyptians Descended From The Horn Of Africa? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 09, 2017
Hati13:

May be they though you were Somalian lol

That's why I want to know if I should feel insulted.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Vs Ghanaians / Somalis Have More Balls Than All Of Africa Combined / Ooni Of Ife: Abobaku Allegedly Runs Away

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.