Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,835 members, 7,820,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 (671 Views)

Don Williams - Lord I Hope This Day Is Good / US Country Music Singer Don Williams Dies! / Don Williams Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by premium9ja(m): 2:23am On Sep 09, 2017
Don Williams, an award-winning country singer with love ballads like “I Believe in You,” has died. He was 78.

A statement from his publicist Kirt Webster said he died Friday after a short illness.

Williams had 17 No. 1 hits before retiring in 2016. His mellow sound influenced a later generation of singers including Joe Nichols and Josh Turner and Keith Urban has said Williams drew him to country music.

Williams, nicknamed “the Gentle Giant,” had a rich voice, gentle delivery and storytelling style. He toured sparingly, did few media interviews and spent much of his time on his farm west of Nashville.

“It’s one of those blessings and curses kind of things,” Williams said in an interview with The Associated Press in 1994. ”If you have the talent, it’s a blessing. But there’s times that ... a lot of the prices that you have to pay to be a part of it is a curse.

But as far as ... the way people have responded to what I’ve done, there’s very few things in my life that I’ve done that come anywhere close to making you feel exhilarated and humbled and fulfilled and challenged and all that, all at the same time.”

His hits included “I Believe in You,” “Lord, I Hope This Day Is Good,” “You’re My Best Friend,” “Some Broken Hearts Never Mend,” “Till the Rivers All Run Dry” and “Back in My Younger Days.” At least one duet with Emmylou Harris made the charts, “If I Needed You” in 1981.

He was also popular overseas, touring in Europe and Africa and charting on British charts. Eric Clapton recorded his “We’re More Than Friends” and Pete Townshend redid his “Til the Rivers All Run Dry.” “Don Williams offered calm, beauty, and a sense of wistful peace that is in short supply these days,” said Kyle Young, CEO of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville, Tennessee, in a statement Friday.

“His music will forever be a balm in troublesome times. Everyone who makes country music with grace, intelligence, and ageless intent will do so while standing on the shoulders of this gentle giant.” He won the Country Music Association’s awards for best male vocalist and best single for “Tulsa Time” in 1978.

During his performances, he often walked onstage carrying a cup of coffee, sat on a barstool, sang and chatted amiably with the audience.

Williams also appeared in the movies “W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings” and “Smokey and the Bandit II.”

http://www.premium9ja.com/2017/09/country-music-singer-don-williams-dies.html?m=0

LALASTICLALA MYND44 puskin, naijacutee, dominique, FOD
Re: Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by myners007: 2:33am On Sep 09, 2017
RIP LEGENDARY ONE
Re: Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by younglleo: 2:48am On Sep 09, 2017
my greatest reggea artist.!! Who will sing song for me now.? (sobbing) RIP don lengend
Re: Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by Zeze06(m): 3:10am On Sep 09, 2017
Sad
Re: Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by Lovetinz(m): 4:02am On Sep 09, 2017
Re: Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by Tolexander: 5:11am On Sep 09, 2017
younglleo:
my greatest reggea artist.!! Who will sing song for me now.? (sobbing) RIP don lengend
No be only reggae, na rap artist!
Re: Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by Tolexander: 5:12am On Sep 09, 2017
RIP Don!
***I believe in you***
Re: Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by Juliette05(f): 6:28am On Sep 09, 2017
cry
Re: Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by ade3164(m): 6:48am On Sep 09, 2017
He is my man
Re: Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by premium9ja(m): 7:23am On Sep 09, 2017
ade3164:
He is my man
he is or he was...?
Re: Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by lolaxavier(m): 7:28am On Sep 09, 2017
Sad...
The only singer that has won me over with all his songs. No wonder I have exactly 257 songs of his on my laptop which I get to listen to almost every time.
Thank you Don Williams for being a very strong part of my childhood. I will forever be your biggest fan.

Well, I dont believe that heaven waits
For only those who congregate
I'd like to think of God as love
He's down below
He's up above
He's watchin' people everywhere
He knows who does and doesn't care
And I'm an ordinary man
Sometimes I wonder who I am.

But I believe in love
I believe in music
I believe in magic
And I believe in you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by iykebest1(m): 9:12am On Sep 09, 2017
His voice was as cool as a gentle flowing stream. Rest in peace Legend

1 Like

Re: Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by dechriscool(m): 10:16am On Sep 09, 2017
R.I.P
Re: Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by Magnoliaa(f): 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2017
Re: Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by Princefrankie1(m): 10:43pm On Sep 09, 2017
I am short of words.

Finally Don, you said Farewell to the world and not just to Jamaica.

FAREWELL JAMAICA
¶Down the way, where the nights are gay
And the sun shines daily on the mountain top

I took a trip on a sailing ship
And when I reached Jamaica
I made a stop

But I'm, sad to say I'm on my way
Won't be back for many a day
My heart is down, my head is spinning around I had to leave a little girl in Kingston town

Sounds of laughter, everywhere
And the dancing girls swing to and fro
I must declare my heart is there
Though I've been from Maine to Mexico.
But I'm, sad to say I'm on my way

My heart is down, my head is spinning around
I had to leave a little girl in Kingston town

[Instrumental]

Down at the market, you can hear
Ladies cry out while on their heads they bear

'Akey' rice, salt fish are nice
And the rum is good any time of year
But I'm sad to say I'm on my way
My heart is down, my head is spinning around I had to leave a little girl in Kingston town°

FAREWELL ICON
FAREWELL COUNTRY BOY

RIP
Re: Country Music Singer, Don Williams Dies At 78 by obojememe: 8:13am On Sep 10, 2017
Amanda...my fav

(1) (Reply)

Deebassic - A Bassist / Jaydon - Bajinotu / Which Sites Can I Post Or Upload My Songs For Free In Nigeria ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.