Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

Behind The Uniform - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Behind The Uniform (455 Views)

This Picture Of Wizkid On NYSC Khaki Uniform Is So Dope. / Girl Buried In Her School Uniform After Being Killed In An Accident. Photos / Throwback Photos Of The Sultan Of Sokoto In Military Uniform[then Vs Now] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Behind The Uniform by Henitan24(f): 11:51am On Sep 14, 2017
Behind The Uniform.

I think I state the fact when I say that most Nigerians have an unhealthy and warped perception of soldiers and the armed forces in general.

They sometimes view these men and women as beasts in human form. The kind of beasts you unleash when the worst of our humanity is needed on display. Unintentionally, we, in our minds, so often reduce these men and women to emotionless and joyless robots.

But among these men and women are lots of Igbo sons and daughters, lots of Yoruba sons and daughters, lots of Hausa/Fulani sons and daughters, lots of Ijaw/Ibibio/Nupe sons and daughters. Men and women from the indigenous peoples that make up the entity called Nigeria. Humans with fears, passion, aspiration and dreams. They are those who swore allegiance to a unifying flag and live and die for honour. They are US!

They were recruited from among us to live and die for an idea other than self. They submit themselves to rigorous life and limb threatening routines. They learn to understand instructions, survive and obey the last command. They understand authority because they submit to authority.

Men and women from among us. They were not recruited from Mars to teach 'Nigerians', 'Biafrans', 'Arewans' or 'Oduduwans' a bitter lesson. Rather, they are a microcosm of all these interests in uniform.

We must therefore fight the temptation to profile Nigerian men and women negatively.

I hear educated folks on this platform speak of the army in disparaging tone as if being in uniform eviscerates every humanity from them. They even cite in aid the constitution as if soldiers are not created and empowered by the same constitution to defend national unity and territorial integrity. By doing this they betray their claim to objective analysis.

Military men and women are the most disciplined and selfless among the ethnicities constituting Nigeria. They fight while we take flight. Running is not an option for them. They shut their eyes in death so that we can close our eyes in sleep. They embrace death gallantly as they defend our Peace, leaving loved ones widowed and fatherless.

So, forgive me if I choose to pitch my tent with them rather than with any separatist IPOB, Arewa or Oduduwa. It's just commonsense.

Rolling out men and women in uniform is as patriotic as it gets.

#truthisacred
Selah.

2 Likes

Re: Behind The Uniform by Tozara(m): 2:13am On Nov 24, 2017
Unhealthy and warped perception indeed!

Check this out: www.nairaland.com/4191103/soldiers-chain-man-motorcycle-lagos and tell me whether even the most savage of beasts would do shiit like this.

Your goats behind the uniform are WORSE than beasts.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Is Your Favorite Ios 11 Feature? / 5 Money Tips You Need To Learn Before You Clock 30 / How To Easily Apply For U.S Visa Without Rigorous Process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.