Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,143 members, 7,811,215 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:48 AM

For Lovers Of Bluetooth - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / For Lovers Of Bluetooth (1277 Views)

Configuration Of Bluetooth App / Bluetooth Connectivity Between Android And Arduino / Control It All With HC-05/HC-06 Bluetooth Module (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

For Lovers Of Bluetooth by mojeer678: 6:50pm On Sep 15, 2017
It has been discovered that Bluetooth is wide open and even disabling it will not secure it

My prefacing comment: It has now been shown that bluetooth is an open gateway into any device that has it, which allows full administrative control by default, and even if you turn off bluetooth completely it stays on and allows anyone (originally American intelligence, OBVIOUSLY, but now anyone) to access your bluetooth at will and get complete access to whatever device has it, plus all devices around it that have it. By complete access, I mean top level privileges that allow bypassing of passwords and permissions to install whatever app the attacker wants on your device, and to stream everything from the camera and all other sensors to the attacker. Obviously full file access, keylogging, EVERYTHING is part of the deal, which the NSA no doubt made happen.

This vulnerability is present on all bluetooth enabled devices, and can even be used to hop from one bluetooth connection to another until the attacker finds yours, an unlimited number of hops in. It is obviously an intentionally set up vulnerability. The vulnerability is so bad it basically destroys the viability of bluetooth. See this:
"Researchers disclosed a bevy of Bluetooth vulnerabilities Tuesday that threaten billions of devices from Android and Apple smartphones to millions of printers, smart TVs and IoT devices that us the short-range wireless protocol.

Worse, according to researchers at IoT security firm Armis that found the attack vector, the so-called "BlueBorn" attacks can jump from one nearby Bluetooth device to another wirelessly. It estimates that there are 5.3 billion devices at risk. If exploited, the vulnerabilities could enable an attacker to take over devices, spread malware, or establish a man-in-the-middle to gain access to critical data and networks without user interaction, according to the company. The attack does not require the targeted device to be paired to the attacker's device, or even to be set on discoverable mode... since the Bluetooth process has high privileges on all operating systems, exploiting it provides virtually full control over the device."

My comment: It is claimed that Google and Microsoft are already issuing patches, but I DOUBT THEY ARE MEANINGFUL. Seriously. Who would trust them? Drooling Bob? All devices from Apple, Microsoft, Google, and those running Linux are vulnerable. Even with the patch, android devices will not be fixed 55 percent of the time, and Linux devices will not be fixed 80 percent of the time. Microsoft is not saying how effective their patch is, which means they don't want this patched as far as I see it, they probably worked with Norton and MCafee on this to ensure no holes would be plugged!. A very detailed report on this: https://threatpost.com/wireless-blueborne-attacks-target-billions-of-bluetooth-devices/127921/

Re: For Lovers Of Bluetooth by mojeer678: 6:59pm On Sep 15, 2017
mojeer678:
It has been discovered that Bluetooth is wide open and even disabling it will not secure it

My prefacing comment: It has now been shown that bluetooth is an open gateway into any device that has it, which allows full administrative control by default, and even if you turn off bluetooth completely it stays on and allows anyone (originally American intelligence, OBVIOUSLY, but now anyone) to access your bluetooth at will and get complete access to whatever device has it, plus all devices around it that have it. By complete access, I mean top level privileges that allow bypassing of passwords and permissions to install whatever app the attacker wants on your device, and to stream everything from the camera and all other sensors to the attacker. Obviously full file access, keylogging, EVERYTHING is part of the deal, which the NSA no doubt made happen.
A very detailed report on this: https://threatpost.com/wireless-blueborne-attacks-target-billions-of-bluetooth-devices/127921/

You can get 12 great software tools (including antivirus) from Kaspersky for free now
Kaspersky responded to slander from the U.S. government by releasing 12 great tools including antivirus for ABSOLUTELY FREE, and on top of that, they released their source code to prove there were no back doors that favor Russian intelligence. LETS SEE MICROSOFT DO THAT!!!
People are wondering how to get to the actual Kaspersky page that is not sabotaged or crap (because all the search engines are diverting people) HERE IT IS: https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads On top are the pay products (that is what I would go for and you can try them free for a month), and all the way down at the bottom there are 12 completely free tools that appear to be great, including virus scanners, hard drive recovery and more. Have fun!
Re: For Lovers Of Bluetooth by mojeer678: 7:05pm On Sep 15, 2017
mojeer678:

You can get 12 great software tools (including antivirus) from Kaspersky for free now
Kaspersky responded to slander from the U.S. government by releasing 12 great tools including antivirus for ABSOLUTELY FREE, and on top of that, they released their source code to prove there were no back doors that favor Russian intelligence. LETS SEE MICROSOFT DO THAT!!!
People are wondering how to get to the actual Kaspersky page that is not sabotaged or crap (because all the search engines are diverting people) HERE IT IS: https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads On top are the pay products (that is what I would go for and you can try them free for a month), and all the way down at the bottom there are 12 completely free tools that appear to be great, including virus scanners, hard drive recovery and more. Have fun!

USE KASPERSKY
REMEMBER, IT WAS KASPERSKY THAT DISCOVERED AND DECODED STUXNET

This following quote is obviously from Sorcha, but it is also absolutely correct:
"On 12 May of this year, this report details, the international whistle blowing organization WikiLeaks released the latest installment in their Vault7 Series that detailed two CIA hacking tools dubbed 'AfterMidnight' and 'Assassin' that target the Microsoft Windows platform providing these US spies with total access to anyone's computer or cell phone they so choose.
Upon Kaspersky Lab experts examining these CIA hacking tools, this report explains, they discovered a backdoor embedded in all Microsoft software named PsSetLoadImageNotifyRoutin that sadistically prevents antivirus software from finding computer virus malware - and that Microsoft refused to issue a security patch for with their stunningly stating: "Our engineers reviewed the information and determined this does not pose a security threat and we do not plan to address it with a security update."

With Microsoft failing to protect their software from this CIA backdoor, this report continues, Kaspersky Lab created their own fix for it, this past June, which they then placed in their global anti-virus software product called Kaspersky Total Security.

My comment, worth repeating again:
Years ago, (2012 or so) a Norton programmer contacted me and told me that both Norton and McAfee had people permanently stationed at Microsoft, and their only job was to cooperate with Microsoft and make sure their system security products did not close any NSA / US intelligence backdoors that Microsoft put there on purpose. This is cold hard irrefutable fact, not internet rumor.
So do you think I am going to listen when American intelligence tells me to avoid Kaspersky, WHICH HAS NO PEOPLE SITTING AT MICROSOFT, cooperating to make sure no holes get plugged? Also of note: This programmer made no mention of Trend Micro, so maybe Trend Micro products actually work too.
REMEMBER: WITHOUT KASPERSKY WE WOULD HAVE NEVER, EVER, IN A MILLION YEARS BEEN TOLD ABOUT STUXNET. THAT BY ITSELF MEANS KASPERSKY IS NOT ONLY QUALIFIED BECAUSE THEY FOUND SUCH A BEAST, THEY ARE ALSO FAR MORE TRUSTWORTHY THAN NORTON AND MCAFEE BECAUSE THEY DID NOT KEEP IT SECRET.
I'd like to thank American intelligence for confirming this even further by issuing such an accusatory statement that even Best Buy dropped Kaspersky, like newbies at a scrimmage drop a football. Best Buy is either stupid or cooperatively malicious. Remember that past report about the Geek Squad planting bugs for American intelligence? YEAH, THAT DEAL. It figures they'd cooperate and drop a security product that actually works! http://fortune.com/2017/03/12/rbi-best-buy-geek-squad/

(1) (Reply)

Urgently Needed At Ibadan / What Is The Roadmap To Becoming A Blockchain Developer / Flutter Or React-native.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.