Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,718 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job (10440 Views)

Be Wise! They Will Never Advertise Vacancies But They Want Your Patronage / Professional CV and Cover Letter Templates For Job Seekers / REMINDER: All Pre-selected Applicants MUST Follow Our Handlers For Latest Info. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by PatrickOkunima(m): 11:41am On Sep 17, 2017
1. Applying directly to job postings should represent no more than 20% of what you do. Getting referred to a job is 5-10X more effective than applying directly. If you’re going to apply, only apply to jobs when you’re a perfect fit for the skills and experience listed on the job description.

2. Leverage your understanding of the recruiter’s role. Many recruiters are gatekeepers who don’t know the job and will just box-check your skills and experiences. Others are extremely talented, who want to work with the best people to craft great career moves. You must avoid the former and seek out the latter.

3. Implement a 20/20/60 job-hunting plan. A job hunting plan requires a performance-based resume, an understanding of how recruiters find candidates, and applying through the backdoor. Networking is the key to the backdoor. It must represent 60% of what you need to do.

4. Focus on the job, not the money. It’s better to be underpaid than overpaid. Getting promoted or obtaining a big compensation increase will only occur after you’ve demonstrated great performance. You need to put yourself into these situations. Ignore anyone who says otherwise.

5. Present your strengths and weaknesses via short stories. No one believes general statements. You must validate each of your strengths with a specific example of how it was used in a real job situation. In addition, you need to demonstrate how you’ve turned your weaknesses into strengths. Never say you don’t have any weaknesses! It means you’ve stopped growing.

6. Divide and conquer by asking the universal question. Very early in the interview, or phone screen, you must ask the interviewer to describe the focus of the job, some of the big challenges, and how the new person’s performance will be measured. Pick at least two from this list. Then prove each is a core strength using the SAFW response below.

7. Practice the universal answer to any question. You need to be able to prove every strength with a specific example. Form your answer using the SAFW two-minute response: Say A Few Words – Statement – Amplify – few Examples – Wrap-up.

8. Weave the 10 Best Predictors of Job Success into Your SAFW Response. I just wrote a post for interviewers on how to evaluate your answers. Make sure you have an example proving you possess at least three or four of these strengths. Then during the interview ask if these traits are important for on-the-job success. Of course they will be. Then give your example. Note: this is a slam dunk!

9. Use the phone screen to minimize the impact of a weak first impression. Even if you make a good first impression, it’s important to ask the universal question (see above) early in the phone screen. Answering it correctly will increase the likelihood you’ll be invited to an onsite interview. This will help focus the actual interview on your past performance, instead of box-checking your skills and experience, or judging you on first impressions.

10. Uncover any concerns before the end of the interview. To determine where you stand, ask the interviewer about next steps. If they’re not specific, you probably won’t be called back. In this case, ask the interviewer what’s the biggest concern he/she has about your background. Then ask how the skill, trait or factor mentioned is used on the job. To overcome the concern, you’ll need to use the SAFW two-minute response to prove you can handle the requirement.

Getting a job for some is no fun. For all, it’s hard work. But working hard on the wrong things is a waste of time. So rather than complaining, take some advice from Jim Rohn: “Things will get better for you, when you get better.” Learning the ten techniques above is a great way to start.

SOURCE: Patrick Okunima CV Writing Services (www.patrickokunima.com)

6 Likes

Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by PatrickOkunima(m): 12:28am On Sep 18, 2017
Was it helpful?

1 Like

Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by DanielsParker(m): 7:37am On Sep 18, 2017
yes
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by Joshmedia1: 7:37am On Sep 18, 2017
Thanks for those trips

I believe and and also implore youth to be a Job creator

Working for 300days while you get paid 12times doesn't make sense!

Check my signature
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by Naijaphobia(m): 7:37am On Sep 18, 2017
In this age and time..Why would anyone be searching for job when you can apply the Nnamdi KANU model. Become an overnight messiah, brainwash the gullibles,threaten our collective existence, develop ur hate speeches, operate an oversea account, update ur political sponsors and flee to enjoy your wealth at the right time. RIP to the gullibles!
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by Nattylad(m): 7:38am On Sep 18, 2017
PatrickOkunima:
Was it helpful?
Not really
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by HERSLEY(f): 7:39am On Sep 18, 2017
Thanx Thanx
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by policy12: 7:40am On Sep 18, 2017
Where is the job self to apply.. ?
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by Gabrielolusesan(m): 7:41am On Sep 18, 2017
This is interesting.
what if someone has tried all this and it still doesn't work.

Nigeria can frustrate person effort.
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by Nobody: 7:43am On Sep 18, 2017
Good. It's very important you fall back on something while you still haunt that job of your dream.. Find a legitimate business and start. Doing this will no doubt reduce depression and also brighten the way to a job. There are lots of online and offline businesses you can do.. Visit my signature the begin.

Home Of Entrepreneurs

1 Like

Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by VampireeM(f): 7:49am On Sep 18, 2017
IMO, there are no tips, no rules etc. Just be yourself, put in your best and acquire more skills and God's grace too

1 Like

Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by jericco1(m): 7:53am On Sep 18, 2017
HERSLEY:
is for virgin. Which I am cheesy
virgin? Congrats.
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by jericco1(m): 7:54am On Sep 18, 2017
Thanks... Will be going for one.
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by MuyiRano(m): 7:57am On Sep 18, 2017
Thanks op
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by MuyiRano(m): 8:00am On Sep 18, 2017
HERSLEY:
is for virgin. Which I am cheesy
So u work for Virgin Atlantic, pls I want to apply
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by mekstaniac(m): 8:03am On Sep 18, 2017
These numerous "how to get a job tips" are too many here and conflicting. Just pray to God to help you secure a job folks. If God reason your matter, even na foolscap sheets you submit as CV, them go still employ you.

Between, I have a 20k job interview today. Wish me luck!

1 Like

Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by marooh: 8:06am On Sep 18, 2017
I don't think you can just come into a firm and start working.... u have to undergo some exercise to meet the company obligation.......

it is now when you stay for long that is when you will start putting ur idea for for company to see their previous mistake

grin
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by 69MissedCalls(m): 8:11am On Sep 18, 2017
4.Focus on the job, not the money. It’s better to be underpaid than overpaid.

Naija bloggers self

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 18, 2017
Rubbish,who says it's better to be under paid?
Even those that collect big money aren't very proficient in their career
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 18, 2017
of July same Dr g
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by charlesklaus(m): 8:41am On Sep 18, 2017
Naijaphobia:
In this age and time..Why would anyone be searching for job when you can apply the Nnamdi KANU model. Become an overnight messiah, brainwash the gullibles,threaten our collective existence, develop ur hate speeches, operate an oversea account, update ur political sponsors and flee to enjoy your wealth at the right time. RIP to the gullibles!
Most you relate everything to Kanu
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by Mijioyime1: 10:26am On Sep 18, 2017
Nice and expository
O3schools.com gives updates on jobs across Nigeria too. Thanks for viewing
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by Rozaytee: 10:51am On Sep 18, 2017
Online marketer needed
qualification : Nd/Hnd/Bsc
Abon technology Nig Ltd, Block A,suitte 28, Primal tek plaza, cele okota road, lagos.
www.abontech.com
for more info call; 08055054984
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by PatrickOkunima(m): 1:41pm On Sep 18, 2017
Thanks.
DanielsParker:
yes
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by webngnews: 2:16pm On Sep 18, 2017
Oh
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by PatrickOkunima(m): 5:43pm On Sep 18, 2017
How was your interview?
mekstaniac:
These numerous "how to get a job tips" are too many here and conflicting. Just pray to God to help you secure a job folks. If God reason your matter, even na foolscap sheets you submit as CV, them go still employ you.

Between, I have a 20k job interview today. Wish me luck!
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by HERSLEY(f): 12:15am On Sep 19, 2017
jericco1:
virgin? Congrats.
lol
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by PatrickOkunima(m): 5:02am On Sep 19, 2017
Personally, I will not be at peace earning a salary I do not deserve. And, I was only expressing my opinion.
69MissedCalls:
4.Focus on the job, not the money. It’s better to be underpaid than overpaid.

Naija bloggers self
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by mekstaniac(m): 8:52am On Sep 19, 2017
PatrickOkunima:
How was your interview?

Thanks for asking bro. It's a 9 hours a week job, and I got it! I start Monday...
Re: 10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job by simultaneousboi(m): 10:02am On Sep 19, 2017
Rozaytee:
Online marketer needed
qualification : Nd/Hnd/Bsc
Abon technology Nig Ltd, Block A,suitte 28, Primal tek plaza, cele okota road, lagos.
www.abontech.com
for more info call; 08055054984
What's d function?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cummins Nigeria Latest Job Recruitment (7 Positions) / Auchi Poly Computer Based Test For Interview Selection. / Efcc Aptitude Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.