Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,839 members, 7,817,480 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

Challenges Of Agric Start-ups And New Farmers. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Challenges Of Agric Start-ups And New Farmers. (1069 Views)

Whatsapp Group Link For Buyers & Sellers Of Agric Commodities / UK Rejects Consignment Of Agric Produce From Nigeria / Bank Of Agric Loan Facility (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Challenges Of Agric Start-ups And New Farmers. by bamiwale: 5:13pm On Sep 19, 2017
There has been a lot of promotions about agriculture being the new way for us, both as a nation and individuals, these past years. But it has not been such a smooth ride for many budding farmers who went into agriculture with unbridled zeal and verve. Some weathered the storms and rode the storms to the greatness. Some aren't so successful with the terrain.
I have met quite a number of people that are so interested in going into agriculture but after being on the field for a year or two, many quit. Many went into agriculture with wrong expectations and many were not prepared for the challenges of the field.

What are the challenges of the Youth in Agriculture in Nigeria? What are the main problems you encountered along the way as a succeeding/successful farmer? How can the newbies avoid/overcome these problems?
Responses from experienced farmers are welcome.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Agric Start-ups And New Farmers. by bamiwale: 11:42pm On Sep 21, 2017
To me, one of the most common huddles I found among new farmers is lack of knowledge of agriculture. A lot of new farmers go into the business with the mindset of profit making arising from some analysis they read online. However, some of these online get-rich quickly analysis are written by e-marketers and pen farmers who have no practical experience with farming. Many have followed them to failure.

My advice: get a mentor in whatever field of Agric you plan to go into. Someone that has walked the rope. If you start your own enterprise close to the location of such mentor you, you have increased your chances of success in great bounds. If not, close the gap by constant communication.

I want to invite the dons of the Agriculture section to kindly make contributions to this thread. Let's gain some more from you.
FarmTech, Pavore9, jamp, legsupnigeria, robonski15, organicfoods, jasper7, world1, hotmas911(chief landlord), Yeecar, sedulus, MANGAM, ogbongenet, Farmafric, jethro2, and all the ogas of the agric section.
Re: Challenges Of Agric Start-ups And New Farmers. by world1(m): 5:27pm On Oct 10, 2017
I believe that the solution to food security is the responsibility of each and everyone one of us.

Let's do Agric it pays.
Amb. Adeniyi Sola Bummi
Lead Campaigner
GoGreen Impact Africa Initiative (GIAI)

Re: Challenges Of Agric Start-ups And New Farmers. by Fish4wealth: 8:25pm On Oct 10, 2017
bamiwale:
To me, one of the most common huddles I found among new farmers is lack of knowledge of agriculture. A lot of new farmers go into the business with the mindset of profit making arising from some analysis they read online. However, some of these online get-rich quickly analysis are written by e-marketers and pen farmers who have no practical experience with farming. Many have followed them to failure.

My advice: get a mentor in whatever field of Agric you plan to go into. Someone that has walked the rope. If you start your own enterprise close to the location of such mentor you, you have increased your chances of success in great bounds. If not, close the gap by constant communication.

I want to invite the dons of the Agriculture section to kindly make contributions to this thread. Let's gain some more from you.
FarmTech, Pavore9, jamp, legsupnigeria, robonski15, organicfoods, jasper7, world1, hotmas911(chief landlord), Yeecar, sedulus, MANGAM, ogbongenet, Farmafric, jethro2, and all the ogas of the agric section.

Have you ever wondered why some students fails and otherss will pass under same atmosphere....simple....those who pass take it more seriously.....
My first question.....how many young aspiring agropreneurs can name one mentor he/she seriously worked closely with to tap from such mentor's wealth of experience......what we have are online aspiring agropreneurs who are still de-illusioned...

Their is a greater role of the government ranging from people friendly policies, realistic farming environment, assesibilty to agric funds, local and international market windows, well developed and technologically tailored research, etc

Youth of the 21st century must understand the fast changing economic space that abounds hence the need to come to terms with their passion. Why is agriculture taken as an alternative source of income and not primary source of income....we must change our orientation

I'm open to mentoring any serious minded youths who sees agriculture as a good means of livelihood and ready to engage in developing the agric sector....buzz me on 081...537..016..13....check my signature
Re: Challenges Of Agric Start-ups And New Farmers. by bamiwale: 2:11am On Oct 25, 2017
How I wish more people would take advantage of this kind of mentoring you're offering. There is a wide knowledge gap for a lot of agric entrepreneurs. Zeal alone is not enough, practical knowledge is priceless.
Fish4wealth:

Have you ever wondered why some students fails and otherss will pass under same atmosphere....simple....those who pass take it more seriously.....
My first question.....how many young aspiring agropreneurs can name one mentor he/she seriously worked closely with to tap from such mentor's wealth of experience......what we have are online aspiring agropreneurs who are still de-illusioned...

Their is a greater role of the government ranging from people friendly policies, realistic farming environment, assesibilty to agric funds, local and international market windows, well developed and technologically tailored research, etc

Youth of the 21st century must understand the fast changing economic space that abounds hence the need to come to terms with their passion. Why is agriculture taken as an alternative source of income and not primary source of income....we must change our orientation

I'm open to mentoring any serious minded youths who sees agriculture as a good means of livelihood and ready to engage in developing the agric sector....buzz me on 081...537..016..13....check my signature

(1) (Reply)

Quality Ziplock Bags For Sale At An Affordable Price / Most Prolific Animal On Earth. Rabbits / Soyabean Urgently Needed From Nasarawa State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.