Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,332 members, 7,957,878 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 10:54 PM

Rust Lagos! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Rust Lagos! (1633 Views)

Why I Am Stepping Into Rust / Urgent Need Of Someone Who Understands RUST Programming Language / Learn Rust - Build Fast, Safe And Concurrent Programs Without Tears (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rust Lagos! by SeunLanLege(m): 9:55pm On Sep 19, 2017
Hey everyone! I'm pleased to announce the rust lagos meet up. [Meet Up link](https://www.meetup.com/rust-lagos/)

we're holding our first meet up on the 30th of september. It would be an introduction to the rust programming language, why should you be interested in it? it's performance, it's safety, and zero cost abstractions. We've noticed that a large number of nigerian devs *mostly* build for the web, so we'll be focusing majorly on the application of rust to building super high availability web servers.

use std::io::prelude::*;
use std::net::TcpListener;
use std::net::TcpStream;

fn main() {
let listener = TcpListener::bind("127.0.0.1:8080"wink.unwrap();

for stream in listener.incoming() {
let stream = stream.unwrap();

handleRequest(stream);
}
}

fn handleRequest(mut stream: TcpStream) {
let mut buffer = [0; 512];

stream.read(&mut buffer).unwrap();

println!("Request: {}", String::from_utf8_lossy(&buffer[..]));

stream.write("Hello World!".as_bytes())
}

At the end of the meet up, the above code (a single threaded synchronous web server) will make sense to you. and you would've grasped rust's basic concepts and a good reason to love the language.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

There are frameworks for building web servers in rust, infact i'm in the process of writing mine [github link](https://github.com/seunlanlege/arcreactor), the above example just uses the tcplistener from the standard library.

venue is 3, Birrel Avenue, off Herbert Macaulay Way, Sabo, Yaba(hotels.ng office)
Re: Rust Lagos! by fabulous017: 4:15pm On Jan 08, 2019
Hi Seun, I just started learning rust some few months back, admittedly, my progress has been pretty slow. I have experience with few programming languages, Rust is very different so I'm taking it rather slowly.

Please what happened to Rust Lagos?
Re: Rust Lagos! by pweetieog(f): 7:10am On Aug 17
How do I get started with learning rust?
Re: Rust Lagos! by Kaczynski: 4:38pm On Aug 17
pweetieog:
How do I get started with learning rust?

Buy a butt plug fess

Re: Rust Lagos! by bassdow: 3:48am On Aug 18
For anyOne looking to attend, kindly save yourself some heaches and time by ensuring you have adequate knowledge in writing programs and softwares in general.
In fact, be sure youre already good in languages such as Python, C (or any of it's variants e.g C++), GO, etc. For those who only knws PHP, well you could make an attempt but be ready to sweat more.

RUST is a good language but not so easy to learn. It's more of a system language hence a lot of hand holding that some other languages e.g PHP, Python, etc would do for you, don't exist in RUST.
Even Garbage collection, and memory managements are few of the many things you have to be grounded in.

I am only saying this because I understand the format of OP. In this life eh, nothing is really free. The event might be FREE but I'm certain at end of the event, there would be a second event that would hold another day and it definitely would not be free.

RUST ain't beginner friendly. In fact, if all you know is PHP, as in you're really good with PHP, not just modifying/repairing buggy scripts, pleast at least learn and be proficient enough in either GO or C++ or even JaVa before thinking of RUST.

No amount of bootCamp, workShops (even if na 30-days) even if they hold your hands and brain, would get you on the fast lane. Learn and practice at your own pace.
You need not pay anyOne, You just need learn enough basics, then practice with projects wether FREE or PAID and you get better at every time you practice. We wey bad didn't find it so easy. I don talk ma own Ooo.
Re: Rust Lagos! by Algorithmic(m): 5:43am On Aug 18
bassdow:
For anyOne looking to attend, kindly save yourself some heaches and time by ensuring you have adequate knowledge in writing programs and softwares in general.
In fact, be sure youre already good in languages such as Python, C (or any of it's variants e.g C++), GO, etc. For those who only knws PHP, well you could make an attempt but be ready to sweat more.

RUST is a good language but not so easy to learn. It's more of a system language hence a lot of hand holding that some other languages e.g PHP, Python, etc would do for you, don't exist in RUST.
Even Garbage collection, and memory managements are few of the many things you have to be grounded in.

I am only saying this because I understand the format of OP. In this life eh, nothing is really free. The event might be FREE but I'm certain at end of the event, there would be a second event that would hold another day and it definitely would not be free.

RUST ain't beginner friendly. In fact, if all you know is PHP, as in you're really good with PHP, not just modifying/repairing buggy scripts, pleast at least learn and be proficient enough in either GO or C++ or even JaVa before thinking of RUST.

No amount of bootCamp, workShops (even if na 30-days) even if they hold your hands and brain, would get you on the fast lane. Learn and practice at your own pace.
You need not pay anyOne, You just need learn enough basics, then practice with projects wether FREE or PAID and you get better at every time you practice. We wey bad didn't find it so easy. I don talk ma own Ooo.

Did you attend this meet up as far back as 2017 to know that there is a next day event which is not free or to supposedly know the "format" of the OP?

Rust is not more of a systems P.language, IT IS a systems P.language and how do one need to be grounded in garbage collection when Rust doesn't have it and memory management when it handles and guarantees safe memory?

Anyone can learn Rust as their first language because it's tutorials are not written in Arabic, heck many people learnt C and C++ as their first programming language; It just boils down to what you want to achieve since these languages have niches they excel the most.

One can master Java, PHP and other P.languages you mentioned and still suck at a systems P.language like Rust.

Nevertheless, having prior experience in a high level P.language can only assist to understand some concepts in a systems language faster but it's never a guarantee you'll scale 100%.
Re: Rust Lagos! by bassdow: 9:11am On Aug 18
Algorithmic:

Did you attend this meet up as far back as 2017 to know that there is a next day event which is not free or to supposedly know the "format" of the OP?

Rust is not more of a systems P.language, IT IS a systems P.language and how do one need to be grounded in garbage collection when Rust doesn't have it and memory management when it handles and guarantees safe memory?

Anyone can learn Rust as their first language because it's tutorials are not written in Arabic, heck many people learnt C and C++ as their first programming language; It just boils down to what you want to achieve since these languages have niches they excel the most.

One can master Java, PHP and other P.languages you mentioned and still suck at a systems P.language like Rust.

Nevertheless, having prior experience in a high level P.language can only assist to understand some concepts in a systems language faster but it's never a guarantee you'll scale 100%.

Yea I know RUST doesn't have Garbage collector hence why One needs be grounded in Memory management and the sorts.

Yea I know "Anyone can learn Rust as their first language" but the likelyhood of a success has several moving parts . There is a reason people don't often learn to drive using a TRAILER even when they intends being a TRAILER driver. Even a swimmer don't learn in an Ocean, but in a more shallow water. ofCourse they could equally learn to swim in much deeper water but...

Having prior programing Knowledge helps much better than jumping right into RUST when you don't have basic knowledge or think like a Programmer. For science, PRAYing to God no dey work.

After all your tackles, you still agreed with me that having prior knowledge in other Programming languages often helps AND Yea, I never said it's a guarantee, just that at least your chances becomes very high.

And NO, I never attended such meetUp, or any seminar in programing BUT one certain thing is, such arrangements often have a way of making people pay and that's what I made known so whoEver thinking towards that, would be on alert.
And no One really learns, let alone become good attending bootCamps or workShops even if it's tagged a 30-day-HandsOnWorkShop .

This is just be trying to be to people (especially newbies) what we didn't have in our time. At least nowAdas, they could learn onLine. Something we didn't have luxury of in our days.

Come to think of it, how many of Us even reason as a programmer to begin with. Programming ain't for everyOne, same way Science ain't for everyone.
Re: Rust Lagos! by Algorithmic(m): 10:40am On Aug 18
bassdow:

Yea I know RUST doesn't have Garbage collector hence why One needs be grounded in Memory management and the sorts.

Yea I know "Anyone can learn Rust as their first language" but the likelyhood of a success has several moving parts . There is a reason people don't often learn to drive using a TRAILER even when they intends being a TRAILER driver. Even a swimmer don't learn in an Ocean, but in a more shallow water. ofCourse they could equally learn to swim in much deeper water but...

Having prior programing Knowledge helps much better than jumping right into RUST when you don't have basic knowledge or think like a Programmer. For science, PRAYing to God no dey work.

After all your tackles, you still agreed with me that having prior knowledge in other Programming languages often helps AND Yea, I never said it's a guarantee, just that at least your chances becomes very high.

And NO, I never attended such meetUp, or any seminar in programing BUT one certain thing is, such arrangements often have a way of making people pay and that's what I made known so whoEver thinking towards that, would be on alert.
And no One really learns, let alone become good attending bootCamps or workShops even if it's tagged a 30-day-HandsOnWorkShop .

This is just be trying to be to people (especially newbies) what we didn't have in our time. At least nowAdas, they could learn onLine. Something we didn't have luxury of in our days.

Come to think of it, how many of Us even reason as a programmer to begin with. Programming ain't for everyOne, same way Science ain't for everyone.

What do you mean by being grounded in memory management?

C'mon man, why do you gods of programming make we "noobs" question our mortal abilities?
For a moment, you even forgot that people that decided to learn Rust in the first place did so for a reason and with an end goal in mind. There is nothing that document.getElementById() will help you do in learning Rust. Infact, the idea of learning a High P.language first before coming back to learn a system P.language is an illusion because it shatters the things you knew all along which only very few programmers are willing to face that because it will definitely seem harder to grasp and unnecessary.
Have you heard of interference theory?

Anyways, like OP said years ago and is still the case, Nigerians build for the Web and it's understandable why they have to start with how to center a div while adding a background color and image.

Moreover, your analogy doesn't even add up, so if i want to be a truck driver i should start with pushing wheelbarrow before riding a bicycle then motorcycle before keke napep and then a car and build my way up? On who's time and resources? People still learn how to drive with a truck, Yes a TRUCK.

Bassdow, there was never a tackle, you're even the one tackling one of the finest brains on nairaland, talking about "format" from a 7year old post.
I am just motivating noobs like myself to learn what they want to learn as long as they know what they are learning it for and not waste time with the wheelbarrow analogy.

According to you, you have never attended any meetup or seminar in programming but you hold so much bias against it which makes every meetup come off as "format".

What you did not learn in your days? I guess you started coding in 1979 like MR. AIRSAY cheesy

Well, everybody can learn online these days both old and new, millenias and Gen-Z.
As a newbie like myself if you want to learn Rust and know why and what you want to learn it for then LEARN IT!
Happy weekend Chief!

(1) (Reply)

Do We Have Competent Programmer From Scratch In Nigeria? / Why Is Heroku Not Setting My Cookie / Freshly Spammed SHOPWITHSCRIP Logs Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.