Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,456 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature (3716 Views)

Tecno Is Launching Two Flagship Devices On 7th December / Fast Phones Thread (flagship Devices) / K20 & K20 Pro...the Hottest Xiaomi Redmi Flagship Devices! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by bongolistik(m): 11:12am On Sep 20, 2017
Formerly, FM radio stereo used to be one of the mainstream features of both mid-range and flagship android devices, but as time goes on, phone OEM began ditching the FM radio feature on their newer flagship devices.

Taking for example, the Samsung OEM; we all know that for long now, Samsung have maintained two major categories of flagship devices, which are the Samsung Galaxy S-series and the Samsung Galaxy Note series.

For the Samsung Galaxy S-series, Samsung began ditching the FM radio stereo feature from Samsung Galaxy S4, making the Samsung Galaxy S3 the last Samsung S-series device to feature FM radio.

While on the Samsung Galaxy Note flagship category, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 marked the end of era for Samsung Galaxy Note series device with the FM radio stereo feature, as other Samsung Galaxy Note series thereafter, 5 years and counting now are being produced without FM radio.

HTC ditched the FM radio feature from the HTC 10 device, while the likes of Huawei, Sony, Xiaomi have also ditched the radio feature on their newer flagship devices.

LG might be an exception here, for even LG latest flagship devices like their older ones still come with the FM radio stereo feature and they are not ditching it yet. This can easily be seen in the LG G6 and the current flagship LG V30 devices that still featured FM stereo.

What could actually be the rationale here for ditching the FM radio feature; is that OEM believe that people no longer enjoy tuning and listening to their favorite radio station or they consider it an obsolete technology.

But for you do you see this new trend of ditching FM radio features in modern flagship device a hit or miss? is it a welcome development or do you think that these OEM should go back to status quo with the FM radio feature on modern flagship devices?

Source: http://highteknology.com/2017/09/ditching-of-fm-radio-stereo-feature-on.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 20, 2017
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by majamajic(m): 11:33am On Sep 20, 2017
I think to save already weak android phone batteries angry angry
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by Belosconi: 11:42am On Sep 20, 2017
majamajic:
I think to save already weak android phone batteries angry angry
I doubt, radio has never known to be a battery consuming monster on Android

4 Likes

Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by majamajic(m): 11:51am On Sep 20, 2017
Belosconi:

Yea but people barely use radios these days on phone, most don't even play musics stored on their Android phones talkless of radio.

Secondly radio requires headphones which people don't like going out with and when u are home u prefer using your music sets to listen to radio.
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by Belosconi: 11:56am On Sep 20, 2017
majamajic:

Yea but people barely use radios these days on phone, most don't even play musics stored on their Android phones talkless of radio.

Secondly radio requires headphones which people don't like going out with and when u are home u prefer using your music sets to listen to radio.
for me you are generalising. Many people still have their favourite radio programs that they often tune to.

Have you considered radio on the go? Would you jack your sound system everywhere you go to listen to your favourite radio program?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by 11Anonymous(m): 12:01pm On Sep 20, 2017
Device FM radio helped a lot during the presidential election. I wonder why some phone manufacturers don't have sense undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by directonpc(m): 12:32pm On Sep 20, 2017
Probably because they can't monetize it like the internet radio.

2 Likes

Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by HarveyDeven: 12:33pm On Sep 20, 2017
Not a lot of people use FM radio anymore. Some of them have so much data that they prefer to stream music online.
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by jaymichael(m): 12:38pm On Sep 20, 2017
I wonder why people will just sit down in one office and decide what people will like or not. I love my FM radio on my phone. I may decided to ditch buying a good phone if it doesn't have an FM radio.

11 Likes

Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by nelsonebby(m): 12:45pm On Sep 20, 2017
Belosconi:
radio and 3g are the main killers of Android battery
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by Belosconi: 1:42pm On Sep 20, 2017
nelsonebby:
not true, we all know what consumes battery on android device.. 3g affirmative but radio, not true. Radio is not a battery gulper. You can play your radio as long as you want while maintaining a decent battery life.

2 Likes

Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by nedu2000(m): 1:54pm On Sep 20, 2017
It is because they want you to buy the radio app instead of giving you free in-built

1 Like

Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by iLickAnalFungus(m): 3:42pm On Sep 20, 2017
Actually, carriers in the US are responsible for this.. Back then, when they were pushing their streaming services so people can burn more data and you know... Profit! So they request US phones to have it disabled, this continued until when the OEM 's feels they no longer need to add it, because the US as a major market is doing well without it..

1 Like

Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by CrEaToRmalden(m): 5:16pm On Sep 20, 2017
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by Norman4real(m): 5:57pm On Sep 20, 2017
iLickAnalFungus:
Actually, carriers in the US are responsible for this.. Back then, when they were pushing their streaming services so people can burn more data and you know... Profit! So they request US phones to have it disabled, this continued until when the OEM 's feels they no longer need to add it, because the US as a major market is doing well without it..
I agree with you. This purely for profit only. Same reason iphones wont give you a file manager or let you copy and paste music from your laptop. They want you to stream radio services online and to be fair if you can actually afford an 800$ phone, data shouldn't be a problem for you.
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by leonard002(m): 6:35pm On Sep 20, 2017
nedu2000:
It is because they want you to buy the radio app instead of giving you free in-built
Is this even possible
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by iLickAnalFungus(m): 7:23pm On Sep 20, 2017
Norman4real:
I agree with you. This purely for profit only. Same reason iphones wont give you a file manager or let you copy and paste music from your laptop. They want you to stream radio services online and to be fair if you can actually afford an 800$ phone, data shouldn't be a problem for you.
That's it bro.. It's all about the Benjamins
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by Nobody: 9:24pm On Sep 20, 2017
but guys,pls help out.. i currently use samsung galaxy s3,bt it did nt av radio.. pls help out
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by Baroba(m): 11:42pm On Sep 20, 2017
Over 90% of high end phones are used in western countries where income is relatively high, data is easily affordable anyway in these countries.. Streaming apps such as spotify, tune in radio have basically made fm radios redundant.. Why would i want to listen to crackling fm radios when i can stream using tune in app, with wider coverage and better quality streams, especially if i have unlimited data..

Phones with radios and flashlight are specially made for third world countries for obvious reason, expensive data and epileptic power supply..
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by okitikpo: 12:39am On Sep 21, 2017
Baroba:
Over 90% of high end phones are used in western countries where income is relatively high, data is easily affordable anyway in these countries.. Streaming apps such as spotify, tune in radio have basically made fm radios redundant.. Why would i want to listen to crackling fm radios when i can stream using tune in app, with wider coverage and better quality streams, especially if i have unlimited data..

Phones with radios and flashlight are specially made for third world countries for obvious reason, expensive data and epileptic power supply..
I concur
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by femi4: 5:44am On Sep 21, 2017
nelsonebby:
liar, radio doesnt kill battery
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by Hallenjay: 7:21am On Sep 21, 2017
bongolistik:
Formerly, FM radio stereo used to be one of the mainstream features of both mid-range and flagship android devices, but as time goes on, phone OEM began ditching the FM radio feature on their newer flagship devices.

Taking for example, the Samsung OEM; we all know that for long now, Samsung have maintained two major categories of flagship devices, which are the Samsung Galaxy S-series and the Samsung Galaxy Note series.

For the Samsung Galaxy S-series, Samsung began ditching the FM radio stereo feature from Samsung Galaxy S4, making the Samsung Galaxy S3 the last Samsung S-series device to feature FM radio.

While on the Samsung Galaxy Note flagship category, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 marked the end of era for Samsung Galaxy Note series device with the FM radio stereo feature, as other Samsung Galaxy Note series thereafter, 5 years and counting now are being produced without FM radio.

HTC ditched the FM radio feature from the HTC 10 device, while the likes of Huawei, Sony, Xiaomi have also ditched the radio feature on their newer flagship devices.

LG might be an exception here, for even LG latest flagship devices like their older ones still come with the FM radio stereo feature and they are not ditching it yet. This can easily be seen in the LG G6 and the current flagship LG V30 devices that still featured FM stereo.

What could actually be the rationale here for ditching the FM radio feature; is that OEM believe that people no longer enjoy tuning and listening to their favorite radio station or they consider it an obsolete technology.

But for you do you see this new trend of ditching FM radio features in modern flagship device a hit or miss? is it a welcome development or do you think that these OEM should go back to status quo with the FM radio feature on modern flagship devices?

Source: http://highteknology.com/2017/09/ditching-of-fm-radio-stereo-feature-on.html
it a. Miss period, de should go bk to d old days.

1 Like

Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by Mustiboy(m): 7:38am On Sep 21, 2017
I listen to radio a lot but via streaming.
Smart radio does the job for me. And it doesn't consume much data and I use it on edge network. It has many of our local channels and international ones.
With this, I see no reason why I should miss the fm radio feature
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by nelsonebby(m): 8:24am On Sep 21, 2017
femi4:
liar, radio doesnt kill battery
OK ooo I don hear
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by Norman4real(m): 9:48am On Sep 22, 2017
aro1:
but guys,pls help out.. i currently use samsung galaxy s3,bt it did nt av radio.. pls help out
It's probably got one of custom roms meant to push it to a more recent OS.
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 22, 2017
Norman4real:
It's probably got one of custom roms meant to push it to a more recent OS.
pls explain more on ds,cos its android kitkat dat am using
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by bongolistik(m): 11:07am On Sep 22, 2017
aro1:
pls explain more on ds,cos its android kitkat dat am using
Is your galaxy s3 1gb RAM or 2GB cos there are 2 variants of the S3 and one feature radio whereas the other doesn't. Hope you have been cleared now.
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by bravesoul247(m): 1:46pm On Sep 22, 2017
Some Tecno smartphones have radio
Re: Why Current Android Flagship Devices No Longer Come With FM Radio Stereo Feature by Nobody: 1:59pm On Sep 22, 2017
bongolistik:
Is your galaxy s3 1gb RAM or 2GB cos there are 2 variants of the S3 and one feature radio whereas the other doesn't. Hope you have been cleared now.
thx boss. mine is 1gb ram

(1) (2) (Reply)

Itel Mobile Launches Its Revolutionary First Fingerprint Entry-level Smartphone / 60k Budget... Need Your Advise on which phone to buy / Best Phone With 15k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.