Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,113 members, 7,832,766 topics. Date: Sunday, 19 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

Multiple Personality Disorder(mpd): The Other You We Just Didn’t Know Of. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Multiple Personality Disorder(mpd): The Other You We Just Didn’t Know Of. (314 Views)

Do People With Multiple Personality Disorder Truly Exist? - Personal Experience! / 5 Benefits Of Having Sex That You Didn’t Know! / Multiple Personality Disorder(mpd): The Other You We Just Didn’t Know Of. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Multiple Personality Disorder(mpd): The Other You We Just Didn’t Know Of. by Rocice(m): 3:26pm On Sep 20, 2017
What do you know about MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER MPD/Dissociative Identity Disorder? by Ijeoma Blessing

I know you might not just want to believe that there’s another”you” in you. Afterall, I can’t love the thought that another “me” does with my body, the things I wouldn’t naturally do by my own self.

What am i really talking about?

Previously known as Multiple Personality Disorder(MPD), DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder has been a controversial topic among psychiatrists today. DID is a severe form of dissociation involving lack of connection with your thoughts, memories, feelings, actions or your sense of identity. It is characterized by the presence of two or more distinct identities/personalities known as alters that continually have power over a person’s behavior. The alters have their own age, sex or race with different postures, gestures and distinct way of talking but they are actually all within the same person. When manifested, each alter reveals itself and controls individual behavior and thought.

Are you getting me?

Let’s go on…

Symptoms attached to DID include depression,mood swings, suicidal tendencies, insomnia, anxiety and phobias,alcohol and substance abuse, auditory and visual hallucinations, eating disorders, amnesia, trances, time loss etc.

Someone suffering from DID might just find themselves doing things they wouldn’t really do. It’s like being a passenger in your body while you ought to be the driver.

So, does DID just happens or is it caused by something?

Though causes are still vague, research indicates that alters are “born” in a response to a trauma, usually physical, sexual or emotional abuse, especially during childhood when the host’s mind cannot cope with a great deal of pain and the alter the comes to be to protect or feel the pain for the host.

When these alters act, the sufferer loses track of everything and experiences some kind of time loss and might be completely oblivious of what is being done by an alter at that moment.

Well, does it have a cure?

Though there’s no exact cure for DID, a long term treatment plan can the helpful if the patient is committed.

This could take an average of 5-7 years and it includes talk therapy/psychotherapy, hypnotherapy or hypnosis using Sodium Amytal and adjunctive therapy such as art or movement therapies.

Though cases of DID are more pronounced in the Western World with 0.1-1% tendency in the general population, cases of MPD/DID are almost none existent in our very beautiful Nigeria, but you just might not know…

So the next time, someone sneezes in your face in a bus and does not apologize, don’t get angry. It might just be one of their alters and not them acting. Funny?

Then, you’re a book lover, you might just like to read Sidney Sheldon’s “Tell Me Your Dreams”for a fictional (with facts) approach to DID.

And you know, I’m too dumb to write all of this, so, my very brilliant other personality, Bleyyson, did.

Anyways, I hope you have a very lovely day.

source:http://blog.spotter.com.ng/multiple-personality-disordermpd-the-other-you-we-just-didnt-know-of/

(1) (Reply)

How To Banish Premature Ejaculation In Your Life / A Doctor Needs Your Urgent Assistance! / Florinef: Urgent Need In A Private Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.