Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,125 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

Why Does Christians And The Church Behave This Way? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Does Christians And The Church Behave This Way? (557 Views)

Christians And Muslims Are A Curse To Nigeria / Is It Proper For A Woman To Dress This Way And Preach On God's Alter? (Photo) / GSA Redefined!!! Born Again Christians And Singles Come In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Christians And The Church Behave This Way? by Nobody: 12:40am On Sep 24, 2017
Some weeks ago, my fiancee called to ask for my help. Her mum was sick and admitted in a hospital. She needed up to 50k to add to the little she had to settle the hospital bill before they could commence treatment on her mum.

My girlfriend is a chronic church goer. At first, I felt like asking her if she has tried praying before taking her mum to hospital? (Because I can't be spending my money earned under exposure to health and environmental hazards while someone who claims she has a god that can do all things allows me lavish it unnecessarily when she claims to have a god that can seamlessly offer a costless solution through prayers!). But on second thought, I felt like not to add more salt to her injuries or rather, not to sound insensitive. So I promised to give her the money the next day which I fulfilled.

Other expenses came up later which at the end, I spent little above 70% of the total expenses after her mum was discharged on Monday this week.

I am bring this up because just on Thursday, she called to thank me for showing love through financial support. She also mentioned she'd be going for testimony this Sunday in church, that god has been so faithful to her for still keeping her only parent alive (she lost her dad last year).

In my heart I said, wow! So god who sat on his [imaginary] throne in heaven is now the overall hero. Not me, not the doctors or nurses that attended to her mum but god who sat just there and did nothing to salvage her predicament.

I could only but imagine the overall reaction to her testimony tomorrow. How that deaconess seated at the back seat of the church will shout "prrrrrrrrrr..........aaaise the Lord!", followed by a loud hallelujah roared in return by the congregation, while I and the medical practitioners who played the major role remain unheard of.

My question is:
Why do people believe in prayers yet won't rely on it during urgent and pressing needs?

Why couldn't people seek for financial help from the church they pay their tithes and offerings to?

Or should I rephrase it like Why have the church failed to take up the responsibilities of meeting to the pressing needs of it's members?

Churches ain't paying tax, so what are all the moneys generated from tithes and offerings for?

Why has the church so pose itself solely as a "receiving machine", and it's congregation a "giving machine"?

Re: Why Does Christians And The Church Behave This Way? by Orodje(m): 1:13am On Sep 24, 2017
Nice questions i too would love to ask bro buh I will advice you to mind the way you talk about God even some part of you know there is God, itz cool if you are an atheist but dont take it too far, just a piece of advice though
Re: Why Does Christians And The Church Behave This Way? by Orodje(m): 1:15am On Sep 24, 2017
Nice questions i too would love to ask bro buh I will advice you to mind the way you talk about God even some part of you know there is God, itz cool if you are an atheist but dont take it too far; He's a merciful father and at the same time no respecter of no man. just a piece of advice though
Re: Why Does Christians And The Church Behave This Way? by geoworldedu: 1:27am On Sep 24, 2017
Orodje:
Nice questions i too would love to ask bro buh I will advice you to mind the way you talk about God even some part of you know there is God, itz cool if you are an atheist but dont take it too far, just a piece of advice though
I recognize God who created Allah and Yahweh. Which one do you recognise biko?
Re: Why Does Christians And The Church Behave This Way? by Nobody: 1:45am On Sep 24, 2017
Orodje:
Nice questions i too would love to ask bro buh I will advice you to mind the way you talk about God even some part of you know there is God, itz cool if you are an atheist but dont take it too far; He's a merciful father and at the same time no respecter of no man. just a piece of advice though
I go as far as my rationality, science and logical thinking can take me.

If there is god, he should be all about love. I don't see love going hand-in-hand with threat and fear.
Re: Why Does Christians And The Church Behave This Way? by Orodje(m): 3:13am On Sep 24, 2017
geoworldedu:
I recognize God who created Allah and Yahweh. Which one do you recognise biko?
interesting so what's your Religion?
Re: Why Does Christians And The Church Behave This Way? by Hier(m): 3:16am On Sep 24, 2017
If you ask me, I have seen similar thread recently
Re: Why Does Christians And The Church Behave This Way? by hopefulLandlord: 3:24am On Sep 24, 2017
Hier:

same here, I saw one similar to this
Re: Why Does Christians And The Church Behave This Way? by Mechette(m): 4:31am On Sep 24, 2017
u ar so much right
Re: Why Does Christians And The Church Behave This Way? by Nobody: 10:32am On Sep 24, 2017
Hier:
Where?
Re: Why Does Christians And The Church Behave This Way? by bibijay123(f): 12:27pm On Sep 24, 2017
She could have paid the hospital bill and still lose her mum. God also touched ur heart to give her the money and God worked through the nurses and doctors to heal her mum. God also provided for you and that was why you were able to help her. Be careful what you say about God. Even if you don't believe in him you don't have to spew thrash about the almighty God just for some miserable likes. Happy Sunday bro, remain blessed.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Warfare - Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammunition / How I Feel When People Say I Use Church Money To Maintain Private Jets – Oyedepo / You Are All Invited To 2017 Holy Ghost Congress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.