Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,530 members, 7,770,374 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:00 AM

Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? (13207 Views)

2015 Top 20 Richest Nigerian Musicians, See Their Net Worth / Where Are These Nigerian Musicians? (Pictures) / Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by cap28: 12:43am On Mar 04, 2010
im sick and tired of watching these fake talentless nigerian artistes with limited talent and zero originality aping and mimicing african american and jamaican musicians.  What happened to talent and originality.  I used to be proud to be a nigerian when people like Fela Kuti and Egypt 80 performed, King Sunny Ade, Onyeka Onwenu and Ayinde Barrister.

what happened to that golden era?
now every time i turn on my tv i see these pathetic talentless morons "singing" very badly with scantily clad women gyrating in the background - why are we going backwards?  African americans and jamaican music reflects their experiences in a white dominated environment  which does not accept nor recognise their humanity, this is where such genres as the blues and jazz came from why are nigerians who have never left nigeria aping and mimicing this sort of music.  Why cant we be proud of our unique culture and experience and stop copying - blacks in the west dont want to listen to africans trying to copy americans and jamaicans its of no interest to them.  What would attract interest would be a unique form of african music like Fela's afrobeat.

anyway thats my view
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 8:17am On Mar 04, 2010
The real question should be "Why SHOULD'NT Nigerian/African artists be able to collaborate with their Jamaican and American bretheren"? I think it is shameful and pitiful to accuse us of the diaspora as being part of "white dominant" societies i mean you live in Europe come on. You act like we asked to be in the west. Do you need a historical lecture about how it is we came about? In reality. . .REALITY, American media dominates world wide.

The reason we Jamaicans are on top in entertainment is because we are willing to culturally collide with the Americans, you can't expect to get love and recognition and preach separatism. Know that. Good music is good music regardless of background. Blacks in the west don't want to hear African music or Africans trying their styles? Is that why Akon is on fire in the caribbean/US? Is that why I am into Soukous, Coupe Decale, Mapouka (W. African) and Congolese dance music? And yes even the dreaded Liberian Hipco lol. Please. We love you all and your cultures. I respect your view and I respect your Naija pride but don't "look down" on us, you are flesh and bone as we are.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by eldee(m): 4:29pm On Mar 04, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

The real question should be "Why SHOULD'NT Nigerian/African artists be able to collaborate with their Jamaican and American bretheren"? I think it is shameful and pitiful to accuse us of the diaspora as being part of "white dominant" societies i mean you live in Europe come on. You act like we asked to be in the west. Do you need a historical lecture about how it is we came about? In reality. . .REALITY, American media dominates world wide.

The reason we Jamaicans are on top in entertainment is because we are willing to culturally collide with the Americans, you can't expect to get love and recognition and preach separatism. Know that. Good music is good music regardless of background. Blacks in the west don't want to hear African music or Africans trying their styles? Is that why Akon is on fire in the caribbean/US? Is that why I am into Soukous, Coupe Decale, Mapouka (W. African) and Congolese dance music? And yes even the dreaded Liberian Hipco lol. Please. We love you all and your cultures. I respect your view and I respect your Naija pride but don't "look down" on us, you are flesh and bone as we are.

WTF!!! How are Jamaicans on top in entertainment?? ?? ??
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by tayoast(m): 4:43pm On Mar 04, 2010
cap28:

now every time i turn on my tv i see these pathetic talentless morons "singing" very badly with scantily clad women gyrating in the background

abi ooo.

Music videos r now incomplete w/out d above.

Content/Lyrics wise, only 30% can beat their chest
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Mar 04, 2010
@ Eldee on top = Officially on the map; international recognition. regardless of the personal biasness it's not worth denying Jamaican music is among the most recognized and YES even respected.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by eldee(m): 9:12pm On Mar 04, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

@ Eldee on top = Officially on the map; international recognition. regardless of the personal biasness it's not worth denying Jamaican music is among the most recognized and YES even respected.

On top of what music scene?? What genre exactly??
How?? The only Jamaicans out there are the Vybe Kartels and the Mavados.

Sean Paul is as Jamaican as Wale is Nigerian.
Who else?? Sean Kingston?? These guys are American jare.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by dejiariyo: 9:25pm On Mar 04, 2010
eldee:

On top of what music scene?? What genre exactly??
How?? The only Jamaicans out there are the Vybe Kartels and the Mavados.

Sean Paul is as Jamaican as Wale is Nigerian.
Who else?? Sean Kingston?? These guys are American jare.

Eldee dont get it wrong, Reggae music Or jamaican music is internationally popular and widely accepted. Dont get what ur point really is.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by eldee(m): 9:33pm On Mar 04, 2010
dejiariyo:

Eldee dont get it wrong, Reggae music Or jamaican music is internationally popular and widely accepted. Dont get what your point really is.

Used to be. . . Fela and Sunny Ade were once world leaders too.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by cap28: 10:18pm On Mar 04, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

i have nothing against nigerian/african artistes collaborating with jamaican and american artistes after all Youssou Ndour of Senegal collaborated successfully with Neneh Cherry of the UK and the late Fela Kuti collaborated with Roy Ayers an african american jazz musician, collaboration is fine as long as each person retains their originality and doesnt get caught up in trying to mimic the other, what im talking about is a situation where nigerian artistes are abandoning their rich cultural heritage to make fools of themselves mimicing the lyrics and choreography of african american and jamaican artistes instead of developing their own unique sound the way Fela did.

Dont get me wrong i love african american and jamaican music, both genres are unique which is what i like, of course jamaican artistes are internationally recognised - the late Bob Marley put Jamaica on the international music map, also brilliant artistes like Peter Tosh, Toots and the Maytals - i also love Sly and Robbie - whose musical talents are legendary however these people are revered because of their uniqueness - they bring something fresh and new to music unlike our current nigerian artistes whose only ambition is to become clones of american and jamaican artistes.

i think you've completely misunderstood the point i was trying to make - nobody is preaching seperatism here, what i am talking about as ive said above is uniqueness and originality - there is a difference.

all of the above  african genres that  you have mentioned are original unadulterated examples of african music that is what i call african music,  Akon is not regarded as an authentic african musician  he is one of the few african musicians who successfully crossed over to appeal to mainly american and european audiences because he sounds EXACTLY like an african american artiste, he crossed over seamlessly as if he were just another african american artiste, the nigerian artistes who copy americans and jamaicans on the other hand DO NOT sound  like americans or jamaicans  just BAD IMITATIONS - this is what i take issue with, people should learn to be proud of their own cultural heritage and seek to promote it not copy something which is alien.

again  you have failed to understand the point i was making about blacks in the west singing about their experiences in a white dominated society - are you unaware of the fact that whites make up the majority population in america and europe and are you also unaware that whoever makes up the majority influences everything from music to food to fashion.  the music industry in america and europe is controlled by whites despite the fact that blacks make up majority of the artistes as a result the whites tend to control and dictate music trends.  

all the white owned music labels like sony, emi  arista etc market and advertise their artistes music in order to attract white consumers since they are more in number and represent a larger slice of the consumer market.  as a result many black artistes are marketed and packaged in order to attract  white consumers .  when i say blacks sing about their experiences in a white dominated society im not referring to black people as the oppressors - im actually referring to them as the oppressed.

Even though Jamaica is a predominantly black country its economic power remains in the hands of whites with a mainly mixed race elite occupying prominent positions of power therefore to my mind blacks in the diaspora are under white domination and i think many blacks in europe, america and the carribean reflect this in the lyrics of their songs.
i am not looking down on anyone.  [quote][/quote]
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Mar 04, 2010
If all Jamaican songs were censored, most would be instrumentals lol

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 1:32am On Mar 05, 2010
dejiariyo:

Eldee dont get it wrong, Reggae music Or jamaican music is internationally popular and widely accepted. Dont get what your point really is.

Exactly.

@Eldee, you really can't be serious what so ever, there are WAY too many reggae/dancehall artistes out there who have and continue to set the foundation. Mavado, Sean Paul, Kartel and Sean Kingston are only a SMALL part of our culture. Idk what you are trying to prove.

@Poster, OOOOOKAY! I am getting to understand where you are coming from. You want originality, you want more Naija influence and recognition but if you check it I have YET to hear a Nigerian artist who may take on the demeanor of an AA or JA but denies Nigeria. Nigerians are proud ppl. I understand where you are coming from though. Honestly. So in otherwords you want Nigerian artists to be able to be differentiated when compared to AAs and JAs? what I mean is kind of like when JAs and AAs collaborate the Jamaicans will bust out in patois in the song and make it known they are not AA. I apologize for the conclusions I jumped to. There is nothing wrong with Nigerian artists being able to stay firm to their roots, nothing wrong at all!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by eldee(m): 9:19am On Mar 05, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

Exactly.

@Eldee, you really can't be serious what so ever, there are WAY too many reggae/dancehall artistes out there who have and continue to set the foundation. Mavado, Sean Paul, Kartel and Sean Kingston are only a SMALL part of our culture. Idk what you are trying to prove.

You say Jamaican music is on top, and I'm asking where and how??
How many people on the Billboard currently are Jamaican??

You're talking about reggae, the only reggae music currently widely listened to is stuff from the 80s/90s.
Jamaican music is not as strong as it used to be . . . it's faceless right now.

That 'we're on top in music' statement is B.S. . . delusion at it's best.

ibkaye:

If all Jamaican songs were censored, most would be instrumentals lol

Hehehe . . . dancing to that music is like sex on the dancefloor cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by evalasthn: 12:38pm On Mar 05, 2010
Its best to stick to ur roots and do African songs but that doesnt take away the fact that good music is good misic, Lucky dube is one of the best (if not the best) African reggae musician and he didnt copy anybody.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Krayola(m): 12:55pm On Mar 05, 2010
Reggae has been, and still is, more popular internationally than Fuji, Juju, Afrobeat, or any other genre that has come out of Nigeria. That is just the fact. That we are Nigerian does not mean we should lose all objectivity and just argue out of pride. It is, IMO, petty. I kinda agree with Mzdarkskin.

And some of our Fuji, Juju, and Afrobeat artists IMO, have been more successful internationally that the artists we have today.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by lalaboi(m): 1:01pm On Mar 05, 2010
And where did this jamaicans/ african americans come from?. . . their roots? . . . . Exactly! grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Krayola(m): 1:01pm On Mar 05, 2010
lalaboi:

And where did this jamaicans/ african americans come from?. . . their roots? . . . . Exactly! grin

Abule Ijesha grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by texazzpete(m): 1:44pm On Mar 05, 2010
@poster
Whenever i see this type of topic, i cringe.
Rule No 1 of entertainment is to give the public what they want. And the Nigerians of nowadays couldn't care less about the old fogies you're touting as the 'Golden age of music'.

If the public wants to see scantily clad ladies, then how is it any issue of yours? Supply will always rise to meet demand, simple as that.

cap28:

unlike our current nigerian artistes whose only ambition is to become clones of american and jamaican artistes.

I think their ambition is actually to attain fame, fortune and lots of cute chicks by selling music to an adoring fan base, but who am i to disagree with you?

cap28:

this is what i take issue with, people should learn to be proud of their own cultural heritage and seek to promote it not copy something which is alien.

There are many other ways for people to show pride in their cultural heritage than to make music to appeal to a niche group. That's why 70% of these same artistes you deride sprinkle their verses liberally with yoruba or Igbo. They can easily show their pride in their clothing, their choice of food, even the names they give their kids. Why judge them over one facet of their existence?

cap28:

the music industry in america and europe is controlled by whites despite the fact that [b]blacks make up majority of the artistes [/b]as a result the whites tend to control and dictate music trends.

I'm pretty sure the part i highlighted in bold is a false assumption.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by slap1(m): 1:54pm On Mar 05, 2010
@ poster. But u enjoy foreign songs? Take a chill pill.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by asha80(m): 2:18pm On Mar 05, 2010
slap1:

@ poster. But u enjoy foreign songs? Take a chill pill.

This is beside the point.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by InesQor(m): 3:13pm On Mar 05, 2010
Originality is too expensive na! grin It's really hard to think outside the box and well, if we enjoyed maintain's songs in the copycat days, why not copy Jamo songs as well? cheesy

Hahaha just kidding though.

@MzDarkSkin: Oh there you are again, my Yardie friend! LOL. I guess I should refrain from agreeing with you on all these things lest your numerous detractors start attacking me as well. cool
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:17pm On Mar 05, 2010
let dem copy, anything besides the default is an improvement in the Naija Music scene. So if 9ice wakes up one morning and adds rock-styled Afro-hiphop to his talents, Goooood goin grin grin

That is the story of improvement
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by dammizz(m): 3:24pm On Mar 05, 2010
@ Topic
Inferiority Complex.
They think white culture's better than ours.

Well I've developed interests in dis purported music so can't really condemn or blame own musicians now.As long as they do the overlifting & copy-copy well, No Qualms.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by seunspice(m): 3:35pm On Mar 05, 2010
As a personal rule, i have learnt not to raise my expectations from Naija Artists. i have listened to music actively over the greater part of the past 3 decades and i can safely conclude that good music is gone ( The new musicians are not yet born sic). I have come to see Naija artists as more of entertainers than musicians. It takes lots of talents and originality to be an entertainer as well as a musician.
It is an aberration to call these clowns we see on TV musicians. Not all of them though, some of them are still as good as it gets.
The degradation of music though is worldwide just like in every other sphere of life. Music of the 70s, 80s and 90s were based on rhythms and we had more of ballads, The new school music is beats and arrangements based and thus we say a musician is good when he/she has a great vocal delivery to accompany them.
As for me, music died on the 25th of June last year as my signature states. i hear music now, i don't listen anymore (be it local or foreign), except its from the golden era.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by cap28: 3:43pm On Mar 05, 2010
texazzpete:

@poster
Whenever i see this type of topic, i cringe.
Rule No 1 of entertainment is to give the public what they want. And the Nigerians of nowadays couldn't care less about the old fogies you're touting as the 'Golden age of music'.

first of all the above statement shows a blatant lack of understanding of the power of music and its effects on people - music has always been used for a variety of purposes but in africa music has held a deeper meaning because our exeperiences in life are different from those in the west - what i see in the so called nigerian music industry today are a bunch of talentless american and jamaican wanna bees who lack any iota of originality or talent - the funny thing is noone outside nigeria is interested in listening to these clowns because the quality of their work is so poor - my argument is that they would do nigeria proud if only they could do away with their inferiority complex and play and sing authentic music rather than a POOR IMITATION of their african american and jamaican counterparts - it makes us look pathetic when all our young generation have to offer by  way of talent are these fake p diddy and 50 cent wanna bees.

only someone as ignorant as you would dismiss original and legendary talent like Fela Kuti, onyeka onwenu etc as "old fogies"  none of those clowns can hold a candle to Fela or Onyeka.  I cant imagine an african american dismissing marvin gaye, prince, the temptations, james brown or the four tops as "old fogies" as a matter of fact most up coming african american artistes admit that the so called old fogies served as an inspiration to them, it is only in nigeria that we seek to look outside for our inspiration instead of amongst our own people.

If the public wants to see scantily clad ladies, then how is it any issue of yours? Supply will always rise to meet demand, simple as that.

only someone as shallow as yourself thinks nothing is wrong in the objectification of women in order to sell music , have you not heard of the lowest common denominator factor - this is where you appeal to the basest human instincts in order to make money - its normally used where talent is non existent and you need some other gimmick to get consumers to buy your music, - thats the current stage that we're at in the music industry, most of the artistes out there in america and europe are low on talent - many are manufactured clones - lady gaga, suga babes, girls aloud , 50 cent they therefore resort to gimmicks - pole dancing pros, gold toothed wearing gang bangers, gratuituous displays of violence - anything that will create some sort of reaction be it negative or positive - the thing is the american artistes can get away with it because they have skilled producers, choreographers and sound engineers who can produce videos which  look glossy and professional but the nigerian ones just look like pathetic poor imitations - do you catch my drift?

I think their ambition is actually to attain fame, fortune and lots of cute chicks by selling music to an adoring fan base, but who am i to disagree with you?

exactly,  who are you to disagree with me seeing as you know virtually nothing about the music industry

There are many other ways for people to show pride in their cultural heritage than to make music to appeal to a niche group. That's why 70% of these same artistes you deride sprinkle their verses liberally with yoruba or Igbo. They can easily show their pride in their clothing, their choice of food, even the names they give their kids. Why judge them over one facet of their existence?

really?  whilst mugging to the camera with (empty) bottles of champagne pretending to be p diddy and 50 cent

what they are totally oblivious too is the fact that p diddy and 50 cent are caricatures created by white owned record labels to project a stereo typical image of black men as mindless, misogynistic gang bangers who glorify gratuitous violence, stupidity and ignorance. many whites and other non black races actually think that these are true depictions of how black people actually behave. infact i have had first hand experiences of whites expecting me to speak and behave like some ignorant gangbanging rapper simply because im a black man!!!

I'm pretty sure the part i highlighted in bold is a false assumption.

well im sorry to break it to you but you are wrong (as usual) blacks are overepresented in the music industry but as usual the way that they are marketed to the public is controlled by powerful white run corporations.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by gidson12(m): 3:44pm On Mar 05, 2010
Sharap
naija aint copying anybody, majority of d naija songs i listen 2 or making wave here in naija are born from originality with good videos, n d song a blend of native n english language which appeal 2 naija ppl. Unless u are talking 'bout naija musicians in d diaspora who are copycats,
Thank u
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by slap1(m): 3:51pm On Mar 05, 2010
@aisha 80. The sun is damn hot so I guess my brain's been affected. I remember someone's signature on NL was: brick by brick we building a city. So I think it's a matter of time till they morph into the real thing. Give em time.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Spyker: 4:20pm On Mar 05, 2010
Not all Nigerian musicians copy, at least i am proud to mention but a few. Fela, Lagbaja e.t.c. do it Nigerian way. Those who copy (if they really do); copy just to make their music sell internationally.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Tcrack(m): 4:28pm On Mar 05, 2010
@poster
Get your head out of your ass.what do you mean by TALENTLESS NIGERIAN ARTIST? if they were talentless, how come they keep getting more international recognition and awards?surly in a big industry like we have in nigeria, there would be some wachkos but it would be silly of you to call nigerian artist generally talentless. secondly,if you think nigerian artist copy americans, come to brazil and see the way brazilian artist copy too, same as ghanians, jamaicans,south africans etc.even uk artist copy too.when someone is leading it is only normal that others will copy him and as of today, american artists are leading. entendido?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by texazzpete(m): 4:52pm On Mar 05, 2010
You are so amusing. For providing some much needed comic relief, i'll reward you with an answer

cap28:

first of all the above statement shows a blatant lack of understanding of the power of music and its effects on people - music has always been used for a variety of purposes but in africa music has held a deeper meaning because our exeperiences in life are different from those in the west

Again another silly assumption.
it's amusing to see that you still think the African culture is richer than that of many people of the western world.

cap28:

only someone as ignorant as you would dismiss original and legendary talent like Fela Kuti, onyeka onwenu etc as "old fogies"  none of those clowns can hold a candle to Fela or Onyeka.  I cant imagine an african american dismissing marvin gaye, prince, the temptations, james brown or the four tops as "old fogies" as a matter of fact most up coming african american artistes admit that the so called old fogies served as an inspiration to them, it is only in nigeria that we seek to look outside for our inspiration instead of amongst our own people.

I can easily call them old fogies. You know why? Because it's a matter of personal taste and preference.
You know the first thing i learnt when growing up? Every human being is different.
Appreciating and understanding the differences in others is the first step towards maturity.
If you cannot understand that there are people who would much rather listen to Tupac than James Brown, then i'm afraid you're still a child mentally.

cap28:

only someone as shallow as yourself thinks nothing is wrong in the objectification of women in order to sell music , have you not heard of the lowest common denominator  factor - this is where you appeal to the basest human instincts in order to make money - its normally used where talent is non existent and you need some other gimmick to get consumers to buy your music, - thats the current stage that we're at in the music industry, most of the artistes out there in america and europe are low on talent - many are manufactured clones - lady gaga, suga babes, girls aloud , 50 cent they therefore resort to gimmicks - pole dancing pros, gold toothed wearing gang bangers, gratuituous displays of violence - anything that will create some sort of reaction be it negative or positive - the thing is the american artistes can get away with it because they have skilled producers, choreographers and sound engineers who can produce videos which  look glossy and professional but the nigerian ones just look like pathetic poor imitations - do you catch my drift?

Look, if the consumers like it, then it's fine by me. And if it takes no talent to do what these fellows are doing, why arent you out there raking in the cash instead of posting embittered rants on Nairaland?

There's a lot more to these people than the flashy showmanship you're complaining about. But you're too blind to see that. Check out my signature below, it describes you completely.

Speaking of ignorance, your scathing dismissal of Nigerian videos as being 'pathetic' shows how out of touch you've been with the modern reality. Top Nigerian artistes these days boast relatively good videos. If you're still watching those grainy old vids, you need to get out of the cave you've been inhabiting ASAP.

cap28:

exactly,  who are you to disagree with me seeing as you know virtually nothing about the music industry

Yes, o great one. You know all!!

/s

cap28:

what they are totally oblivious too is the fact that p diddy and 50 cent are caricatures created by white owned record labels to project a stereo typical image of black men as mindless, misogynistic gang bangers who glorify gratuitous violence, stupidity and ignorance. many whites and other non black races actually think that these are true depictions of how black people actually behave. infact i have had first hand experiences of whites expecting me to speak and behave like some ignorant gangbanging rapper simply because im a black man!!!

well im sorry to break it to you but you are wrong (as usual) blacks are overepresented in the music industry but as usual the way that they are marketed to the public is controlled by powerful white run corporations.

Sorry, but there are many extremely powerful black men in the hip hop scene who have full oversight of the music content put out by the many black artistes in the US. Your borderline racism disturbs me slightly. Paired with your ignorance and your love for conspiracy theory, i think it's safe to say you need to take a chill pill and relax.

in summary, mon ami, choice is sacred. If the public has voted to have these guys performing this way and putting out this kind of music, why are you up in arms about it?

You think i'm happy that Yahooze shot up the charts in a nation struggling with the burden of 419? Nope! Am i thrilled that everyone seems to be using the word 'swagga' these days? Nope? But i have a life. And these things appeal to my fellow Nigerians. You don't see me coming on Nairaland like a douchebag to whine about the 'good ol' days'. I just change the channel or turn on my ipod to hear what i want.

But you really amuse me, you supercilious jester. Send me your address and i'll get you an ipod filled with all the oldies you can shake your flaccid member at. That way you won't get your panties in a bunch when next Tuface comes on.
Deal?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by 190: 4:59pm On Mar 05, 2010
ive said it most 9ja musicians are very st~upid and foo~lish,most of them are yahoo boys based in lagos and ibadan usin stupid music as a cover up,they kant sing a song without showing dollars~
its a pity sha~
here are a list of them
the dbanj all of them
da grin (lagos based yahoo boy usin music as cover up)
timaya or whatever his black nyash is
infact all of them are stupid

xcept p.square and terry G
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by yme1(f): 5:06pm On Mar 05, 2010
190:

ive said it most 9ja musicians are very st~upid and foo~lish,most of them are yahoo boys based in lagos and ibadan usin silly music as a cover up,they kant sing a song without showing dollars~
its a pity sha~
here are a list of them
the dbanj all of them
da grin (lagos based yahoo boy usin music as cover up)
timaya or whatever his black nyash is
infact all of them are silly

xcept p.square and terry G
the bolded word really cracked me up
@post
not all nigerian artist copy the americans beat
they are so many talented ones out there who run their stuff well
btw did i hear someone say jamaica is on top when it comes to entertainment
that is just not true
i agree the jamaicans(some) are quite good at their stuff but they arent on top
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nescoemmy(m): 5:28pm On Mar 05, 2010
THEY ARE JUST SINGING FOR MONEY,HENCE IMITATING FOREIGN ARTISTES INORDER FOR THEIR MUSIC TO SELL, THEY ALSO CALL IT THE ERA OF THE 21ST CENTURY MUSIC

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fireboy DML "Playboy Album" Review - TrendyBeatz / . / NBC Bans Kako Bi Chicken, Lowkey By Flowsick, Oliver Twist And Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.