Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,032 members, 7,818,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. (3037 Views)

Canadian Who Wants Both A Vagina & Penis Wins Funding For Surgery (Photos) / FG Shuts Down Med Contour Plastic Surgery Facility After Botched Surgery (photos / OHAI Changed The Life Of A 72-Year-Old Woman Through Surgery (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Explorers(m): 4:00pm On Sep 26, 2017
They found themselves embroiled in a horrific bloodbath as they fought in the trenches during World War I.

Now new photographs have emerged that reveal the horrific facial injuries sustained during battle by brave soldiers and their astonishing transformations following plastic surgery.

The incredible black and white images have been released in a new book charting the early development of facial reconstruction.

It highlights the work of young surgeon Harold Gillies, who repaired the faces of those who were injured and shipped back home between 1914 and 1918.

Mr Gillies spent years restoring the dignity of men who had been prepared to sacrifice their lives.

His incredible skill saw him use a rib to reconstruct a jaw.

He also spent six years and 19 operations restoring a cheek, upper lip and nose of another soldier.

Pctured, impressive before and after images of Private Harold Page, of the Norfolk Regiment, who lost an eye in the Battle of the Somme

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4920628/WWI-soldiers-facial-injuries-transformed-surgery.html
Lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like

Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Daeylar(f): 4:01pm On Sep 26, 2017
Graphic, they looked good after, especially for people that lost a portion of their face, respect to Harold gilles
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Explorers(m): 4:02pm On Sep 26, 2017
Private William Thomas of the 1st Cheshire Regiment on the first day of his admission after sustaining a horrible injury and his final appearance.

Six years later and after 19 operations which included a cheek, upper lip and nose reconstruction his transformation was nothing short of remarkable.

Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Oluwasaeon(m): 4:03pm On Sep 26, 2017
Kai cry
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Explorers(m): 4:05pm On Sep 26, 2017
Captain J.G.H Budd shown in May 1919 who had reconstructive surgery on his nose.

Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 26, 2017
Driver! Stop I won't need to get to the bus stop again!
I just saw explorers, he will take me to promise land!

Chai! Medical has requested advanced.. it done better now! Spotless

4 Likes

Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by roqrules04(m): 4:08pm On Sep 26, 2017
Oyinbo dey try sha
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Explorers(m): 4:08pm On Sep 26, 2017
Lieutenant Elderton before the war.

Lieutenant Elderton on admission to Sidcup on February 10, 1918 and after being worked on by Harold Gillies.

Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Explorers(m): 4:09pm On Sep 26, 2017
Pictured in July 1919, Joseph Pickard, of the 5th Northumberland Fusiliers, who was helped by the surgeon.

Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Explorers(m): 4:11pm On Sep 26, 2017
Lieutenant William Spreckley is pictured here with his injuries before and after treatment.

Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Explorers(m): 4:12pm On Sep 26, 2017
The interior of the Plastic Theatre at the Queen's Hospital with Mr Gillies seated on the right.

Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by ishadfurnitures: 4:13pm On Sep 26, 2017
Explorer guy keep it up man ... but wait oh imagine this kinda plastic sugery ?
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by terrymason(m): 4:25pm On Sep 26, 2017
Explorer you for put Graphic pictures for the topic, abi you feel say black and white pic nor go fit make person vomit... nice one man, you number one any day on nairaland...
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by jumper524(m): 4:25pm On Sep 26, 2017
the guy above me deserve some ban.
cc, lalasticlala mynd44
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Explorers(m): 4:38pm On Sep 26, 2017
falcon01

Bros pls modify your post, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by falcon01: 4:40pm On Sep 26, 2017
Explorers:
falcon01
Bros pls modify your post, thanks.
alright make sure you add graphic

1 Like

Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Viserion: 4:52pm On Sep 26, 2017
good one a bit graphic though..
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 26, 2017
Explorer ma nigga.. grin
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Kakamorufu(m): 5:21pm On Sep 26, 2017
it's explorers pon the post again.
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Emerikoss: 7:17pm On Sep 26, 2017
falcon01:
What type of nonsense is that nah?
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Emerikoss: 7:17pm On Sep 26, 2017
jumper524:
the guy above me deserve some ban.
cc, lalasticlala mynd44
Seriously oo, he no get manners.
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by LilSmith55(m): 8:03pm On Sep 26, 2017
Na wa for dis guy falcon01... Only u carry dis big space haba!!!
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by temmytopsy1(f): 8:54pm On Sep 26, 2017
falcon01:
So it was because he did not add graphic that made you did that?
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by drizslim(m): 10:10pm On Sep 26, 2017
Scary faces.. War no be good thing shaa
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Nostradamus: 11:07pm On Sep 26, 2017
nice thread explorers,a big shame that humanity can sink so low to go to war(instead of learning to live together in peace),we must have really disappointed the extraterrestrials who created us here.
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Afoochekk1914(m): 11:11pm On Sep 26, 2017
Honorable Explorer, please I wanna be an explorer like you cus you are the only person I follow here.how can I go about it? Your should be called the real thread
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by encryptjay(m): 3:07am On Sep 27, 2017
Chai, I for no open this thread by this time sha
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by onstelly(f): 5:29am On Sep 27, 2017
Seeing the dates of these surgeries the only thing I can say is that oyibo pass us

1 Like

Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by Funjosh(m): 6:56am On Sep 27, 2017
embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Plastic Surgery: Photos Of First Ever Facial Reconstructions Of WWI Soldiers. by onward4life(m): 7:22am On Sep 27, 2017
Explosive Explorers I don catch yuu

Na yuu be d Best! D reason I dey Nairaland still

Pepper Dem No Mercy GanG!!

#PDNMG

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Natural Remedies For Acne/pimples / Consultants,MOs And HOs Scramble To Sign Registers To Resume Work! / BREAKING NEWS! Women Can Now Urinate Like Men (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.