Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,851 members, 7,817,520 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

#WCD2017: Nigeria Has An Unmet Need Of 564 Million Condoms Annually - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / #WCD2017: Nigeria Has An Unmet Need Of 564 Million Condoms Annually (376 Views)

Coronavirus: People Wear Condoms On Fingers In Singapore To Avoid Infections / Nigerians Consume 400 Million Condoms Annually – SFH Reveals / Nigerians Consume 400 Million Condoms Yearly – SFH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

#WCD2017: Nigeria Has An Unmet Need Of 564 Million Condoms Annually by TheHealthJourno: 5:34pm On Sep 26, 2017
Condoms are a central part of the response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic globally as well as an important tool in Family Planning programmes for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) prevention and prevention of unintended pregnancies.

According to the recent landscape assessment of Nigeria’s condom market (USAID 2017), the market is characterized as a developing one based on market performance, existing use and acceptability of condoms indicators.

There is an overall unmet need in the country with the number of condoms needed to consistently protect 90% of sexual acts from HIV protection and unplanned pregnancy being significantly higher than the actual number of condoms in the market.

The gap between current condom use (587 million) and total need (1.15 billion) to achieve 90% coverage us 564 million condoms annually.

The condom gap, statistics reveal, is not evenly distributed across populations that are at risk.

Couples with one person who is HIV-positive and one who is HIV-negative (sometimes called “serodiscordant” or “mixed serostatus”) have the biggest gap with coverage of only ten percent of need (Out of 95,559,115, only 95,000 get condoms).

On the other hand, unmet Need was notably lower among sex workers who showed a coverage of 93% (266,321,001) of the total estimated condom bed (286,366,668), particularly during commercial sex.

Among couples with multiple sex partners, men who have sex with men (MSM) and individuals using condoms for Family Planning, there were coverage rates of 55%, 57% and 60% respectively.

This highlights the need for targeted distribution. Also, the high condom use among sex workers shows that large numbers of condoms will be required by this group on an ongoing basis to sustain the use of it.

Image: Healthjourno.com

healthjourno.com/2017/09/26/worldcontraceptionday-theres-an-unmet-need-of-564-million-condoms-in-nigeria-annually/

Re: #WCD2017: Nigeria Has An Unmet Need Of 564 Million Condoms Annually by wydmag(m): 5:40pm On Sep 26, 2017
Una nor know say Na flesh to flesh Na im sweet pass.!!!!!!
Re: #WCD2017: Nigeria Has An Unmet Need Of 564 Million Condoms Annually by Celcius: 5:43pm On Sep 26, 2017
As serious as this may sound. Its still kinda humorous at first.
But I get the message sha.
So its true prostitutes, gays and HIV+ readily protect themselves more.
Re: #WCD2017: Nigeria Has An Unmet Need Of 564 Million Condoms Annually by Nbote(m): 5:44pm On Sep 26, 2017
Hope say una add my needs to dat stat...

wydmag:
Una nor know say Na flesh to flesh Na im sweet pass.!!!!!!

And na dust to dust sure pass wen u carry
Re: #WCD2017: Nigeria Has An Unmet Need Of 564 Million Condoms Annually by wydmag(m): 5:50pm On Sep 26, 2017
Nbote:
Hope say una add my needs to dat stat...

Tell me say e nor dey sweet you and I will maintain my post

And na dust to dust sure pass wen u carry
Re: #WCD2017: Nigeria Has An Unmet Need Of 564 Million Condoms Annually by vincent10(m): 5:58pm On Sep 26, 2017
The North has higher percentage

(1) (Reply)

What Is Edmark SPIRO Made Of? Delivery. 07051455404 / Rivers State Experiences Set Back Over Reported Cases Of Monkeypox / Understanding What It Means To Have A Blocked Womb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.