Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,359 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Tips For Transitioning To Natural Hair - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tips For Transitioning To Natural Hair (646 Views)

Transitioning From High School To College / Try These For Your Natural Hair / 10 Things I Avoid In Order To Have Long Natural Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tips For Transitioning To Natural Hair by Gbethel: 9:27pm On Sep 27, 2017
Transition in this context simply means changing the features of your hair by moving from a chemical based hair (Relaxed hair) to a natural hair. Transitioning into natural hair requires a major decision which is either cutting-off all of your processed hair (Big Chop) or simply allowing the natural hair grow underneath the processed hair, within a short while the processed hair will start breaking off and then you can consider trimming them in bits leaving the natural hair to blossom. Below are some tips you will find helpful in your natural hair quest.

FIGURE OUT YOUR HAIR TYPE

At the early stage of transition, I will advise you find out what your hair type is and this is because there are different kinds of natural curls out there and knowing the category you belong will help you in making right choices for your hair. There is the 4b/4c, 4b/4a, 4a, 3c and 3a/3b types, all of these types are majorly found in black people.

FIND OUT YOUR HAIR POROSITY

The hair porosity is simply the ability of your hair to absorb moisture and it is broken down into three categories: Low porosity, Normal porosity and High porosity.

Low porosity: It is challenging for your hair to absorb moisture but easy to retain once it gets in.
Normal Porosity: moisture is easily absorbed and retained.
High Porosity: Moisture easily goes in and in the same vein easily comes out.
Knowing your hair porosity is important in choosing the right products for your hair.

YOU MUST BE PATIENT

Having readiness and tolerance for his journey is highly important and this is so because you need time to achieve your desired hair goals. Remember, your hair can't grow overnight so giving it some time is necessary.

FIND A GO-TO STYLE

You must have your mind set for hairstyles to wear while your natural hair is in its tender and vulnerable stage. You could try braid outs, wigs or sewing, protective styling such as
cornrow, buns and twist-out will also add values your hair.

ALWAYS DETANGLE

Always make sure your hair is detangled at least once daily, most people prefer using a Denman brush but I will advise you pick you detangling comb based on your hair type. For example, I have a very kinky hair with lots of curls but anytime I use a Denman brush, I notice while working it through my hair that my hair snaps off. Even if the quantity pulled out is little I would prefer them not falling off so personally I use big teeth combs or you can also detangle with your fingers. Detangling my hair is the next thing I do after brushing my teeth every morning

Click to continue
http://www.classic9ija.online/2017/09/tips-for-transitioning-to-natural-hair.html

(1) (Reply)

Uniport To Refund Post Utme Screening Exercise Fee- Read Why Here / Gov Wike Offers Lifetime Scholarship, Worth 40m To 12year Old Boy (Photos) / Giant Strides: Achievements Of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu' The Educational Sector.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.