Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,548 members, 7,827,049 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Any Lawyer In The House Who Can Help On This - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Any Lawyer In The House Who Can Help On This (1118 Views)

Abeg O...any Lawyer Or Law Student? / Lawyer Sues FG, ASUU Over Strike / Lawyer In The House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Lawyer In The House Who Can Help On This by muyiwabank(m): 1:40pm On Feb 17, 2007
Jim, an estate agent, carried out a homebuyer report and mortgage valuation in July 2001, for Ms merret whislt working for ABC agency and Surveryors Limited.Normally , this work would have been undertaken by Alfreda, a Chartered Surveyor but she was otherwise engaged, instead of loosing a fee of £475 (incl. Vat), He decided to go ahead with the instruction as He was under pressure to meet pipeline figures for that month. During the survey, He noticed some minor damp patches on the lower section of the ground floor walls but thought taht was a minor issues and did not comment on it as he has seen this type of minor defects many times. In April 2003,He left ABC Surveyors LTD to go to work for the local Authority. Unfortunately, in September 2005,Jim read in the paper that ABC Estate Agency and Surveyors went into bankruptcy.

Explore the legal issues that arise.
Re: Any Lawyer In The House Who Can Help On This by VOR(m): 1:59pm On Feb 17, 2007
So you wan make we answer your sample exam question for you? grin grin grin
Re: Any Lawyer In The House Who Can Help On This by muyiwabank(m): 8:16pm On Feb 17, 2007
Oga no be so na research an im still working on it, i just want to see if i can get any clue from the forum

Oga vor, can you help?
Re: Any Lawyer In The House Who Can Help On This by VOR(m): 9:39pm On Feb 17, 2007
I'm not an expert in property law but I suppose the legal issues which on the face of the question appear apparent are:

1/ As an estate agent is Jim legally qualified to carry out this kind of survey?

2/ What liability if any would Jim be subject to if the owner of the property was to sue for possible negligence?

3/ Would ABC estate agency be liable as a LTD liability Co for the negligence of a former employee?

I hope this helps but please do not accept it as gospel. Immigration, as you well know, is my area of expertise.
Re: Any Lawyer In The House Who Can Help On This by muyiwabank(m): 4:15pm On Feb 18, 2007
thanks @vor,

it surely helps because you have been able to break it down a bit and the whole thing is on Tort anyway.

i will do something on your own interpretation and take it to my tutor.

i will surely get back to you so tha you can also have some ideals on property law.

Thank you.
Re: Any Lawyer In The House Who Can Help On This by VOR(m): 2:35pm On Feb 20, 2007
I suppose the question is not soley related to matters concerning property, in
which case you should also give consideration to NEGLIGENCE and VICARIOUS LIABILITY.

I would be most interested to know how your lecturer deals with it.
Re: Any Lawyer In The House Who Can Help On This by muyiwabank(m): 3:21pm On Feb 20, 2007
ok sir
Re: Any Lawyer In The House Who Can Help On This by goldeojays(m): 10:07pm On Feb 27, 2007
that was indeed a clue me too dey intrested in the response from your prof.
Re: Any Lawyer In The House Who Can Help On This by muyiwabank(m): 2:20pm On Feb 28, 2007
it was a good clue, i have gotten something from my reaserch which i believe its pretty good i will post it to the house soonest.

thanks all
Re: Any Lawyer In The House Who Can Help On This by VOR(m): 5:53pm On Mar 13, 2007
muyiwabank:

thanks @vor,

it surely helps because you have been able to break it down a bit and the whole thing is on Tort anyway.

i will do something on your own interpretation and take it to my tutor.

i will surely get back to you so tha you can also have some ideals on property law.

Thank you.

Muyiwa,

I still de wait o!!!
Re: Any Lawyer In The House Who Can Help On This by Omonla(f): 4:24am On Mar 14, 2007
muyiwabank:

Jim, an estate agent, carried out a homebuyer report and mortgage valuation in July 2001, for Ms merret whislt working for ABC agency and Surveryors Limited.Normally , this work would have been undertaken by Alfreda, a Chartered Surveyor but she was otherwise engaged, instead of loosing a fee of £475 (incl. Vat), He decided to go ahead with the instruction as He was under pressure to meet pipeline figures for that month. During the survey, He noticed some minor damp patches on the lower section of the ground floor walls but thought taht was a minor issues and did not comment on it as he has seen this type of minor defects many times. In April 2003,He left ABC Surveyors LTD to go to work for the local Authority. Unfortunately, in September 2005,Jim read in the paper that ABC Estate Agency and Surveyors went into bankruptcy.

Explore the legal issues that arise.

@ Muyiwabank

Did you get an answer to your question yet?
A couple of the issues I saw, like Mr. VOR said, are negligence and vicarious liability.

You could also consider these:
- Principal and agent issues
- Is Jim an independent contractor or employee?
- Liability to a third party
- Disclosed, partialy disclosed or undisclosed principal
- Respondeat superior (comes under vicarious liability)
- Frisk or detour (Was Jim within the scope of his duties or substantially departed from it?)
- Strict liabilty (Estate agents are required to warn of any defects - In the U.S. anyway)

(1) (Reply)

When Will Kogi State Unversity Admission List Be Out / School For Abnormal Children?! / Oou Website 2 Seach Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.