Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,226 members, 7,811,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:57 PM

Hello World (the Novel) A Weekly Update - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Hello World (the Novel) A Weekly Update (832 Views)

Juliet Chudie Releases New Novel - A Mother's Heart Bleeds / Jewel From The Ghetto: New Novel Release!!! / Hello World (the Novel) Episode 2. A Weekly Update (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hello World (the Novel) A Weekly Update by MezieNnnamani: 1:24pm On Sep 30, 2017
To God, for His Inspiration

HELLO WORLD!

Chimezie Nnamani

HELLO WORLD!

a novel

Prologue

I am standing perplexed in the middle of it all. It’s happening right before my eyes. Could it be what I am thinking it is? No…I don’t think so. I can’t even think straight anymore. A whole me, fearless and brave Doctor Olu… scared to my wits, almost about to piss on my boxers – Impossible. From where I stood confused with an unknown fear pinning me to a spot, I saw the beautiful Doctor Susan screaming helplessly on the floor, people running aimlessly across her almost stampeding her. Normally, I would run and help her up. Her or any other person for that matter, putting up a little show at the end – at least all my gym time and macho looks wasn’t for fancy, yet I couldn’t. The emergency ward where I was at that point was in a total pandemonium. Patient’s prescription papers flew aimlessly in the air. A fat lady, in her confused state had scattered the table while running aimlessly like everyone else, leaving the papers flying invariably when she struck the table. I stood there; right there in front of the emergency ward entrance holding a patient’s file on my left hand, pinned, as if I had no control of myself anymore. Maybe it was the shock that left me confused. I couldn’t move, yet I could, if I wanted to but for so many reasons, I stood motionless, watching it all unfold with cringing thoughts on my head, trying to fathom what was actually happening.
My thoughts were incoherent. First I thought about Adaobi, then Sammy; I screamed, “Oh my God, Jennifer”, I remembered my department meeting which was supposed to be held in the next hour. Where could they be right now? Everyone. Is this thing happening there too, wherever they were? I didn’t even know where any of them were. Jesus! My family. How can I not have a clue where my family could be at the moment? That moment, my brain received some signal to move, as if I was jump started with a 50v back to reality and for almost five minutes of standing, with my mouth wide open; I moved, thrusting my hands in my pocket for my phone.
There was no network signal on my phone. I cursed all the curses I ever knew. That moment, I saw Chief Nathan my department head, running towards the emergency ward, just like everyone else – helpless. As he approached, I tried talking to him about what was happening, if he had any clue. He didn’t answer; he kept on running – making his way towards the exit of the hospital. I screamed his name but it seemed like his brain was on a shut down too, just like mine earlier but at least he did make a run for it before it shut down. I joined him and when I came out of the hospital. The commotion was more than my eyes could take. Noise everywhere, people running halter scatter, an ambulance had hit head-on into a wall and I could see Pa Ejiro, one of the hospital drivers in pains struggling to get loose from the debris of the shattered ambulance. I looked up… and what I saw left my jaw drop. I froze. Slowly, I covered my face and fell on my knees and started weeping. There could have been a twitch to this whole story if only I could go back to a certain point and correct something – an episode in my life that changed everything. Tears flowing like a river – that was when the memories became real, it came to me like it was happening again.
From forty-two years old, I became seventeen again. The air changed, the environment became Okon Uduak Street. Street lights, sounds of music blaring from a nearby bar. People walking past – the memories became alive. First, my memories will make you smile, then you will laugh, then you will cry. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

PART 1

One

7:45pm
Sep, 1989.
Okon Uduak Street.
Lagos, Nigeria

The mild showers that lasted for several hours during the day left the weather chilly. I walked hurriedly because I was already feeling the chills. I have never been a friend of cold weather. Even on a hot afternoon, I will always prefer to have my bath with hot water – yes, I never got along with cold weather. As my quickened steps made its way home in escape of the chills, I could still hear one of my favorite songs blaring from Spot it bar, a fancy bar in my street where mostly young people came to ‘chill out’ every evening. When I say chill out, I don’t mean it literally – but I’m sure you get my drift. I hate cold weather like I said. The term invariably means relaxing over drinks, chatting and been happy with friends. Normally I would make a stop and hail my guys – which usually means sitting with them, getting drunk and smoking whatever they had on the table. Weed, roofies, and whatever drug that could get one going in his ‘zone’. However, tonight, my home got the best of me.
“Smog…” I ignored it. was my nick name. “Smog…what’s up Gee?” I knew who it was, it was Young Allen. Not tonight Allen, I said to myself, not voicing it out. The voice grew nearer so I had to turn.
“Hey Man”, I said.
“Yo… blood. What’s up” he said stretching his hands for a handshake. We shook in our unique kind of way.
“Man…so you were just going to walk past…? All the guys are here tonight, Jidecoded too, and Cynthia came with one of her friend. The girl has been asking of you. I don’t even know the girl but she knows you. Dude she’s hot.” He winked. “Finally, who no know Smogcacus…baddest boy…” He smacked my arms laughing and making a jugging kind of movement. No doubt the alcohol and probably whatever drugs in his system were already taking full effect. He took a sip from the can beer in his hand and motioned for us to head into the bar. I knew the bar would be warm. There will be clouds of smoke in the air, music blaring, people dancing; these activities alone were enough to keep the bar at my best temperature. But tonight, there was a sense of urgency in me to get home that I know wasn’t just about the weather.
“Young…”
“hmmm…?”
“Show first”, I said, telling Allen to come closer.
“I get scores to settle this night”. I wasn’t through with my words when Young Allen snapped.
“Who be that…and why you no tell us since na…”
“Relax guy…” I held him to further buttress my point and for him to calm down without making an unnecessary noise which might make all the other guys come outside.
“It’s my old man”.
“Oh…” he said. Now looking calm as if what I’ve said transferred a sense of calm in him.
“I have to go now, but I will definitely catch up with you guys tomorrow.”
“No problem bro…I got you”. He said. He wanted to turn to make his way to the bar, I grabbed his arms. “Young…do me a favor”.
“Anything bro…”
“Don’t tell anybody you saw me tonight…just not up for it tonight”. He looked me in the eye and nodded. “Go take care of your business man. But that babe dey feel you die. Na me go carry am be that.” I just smiled and gave him a thumbs up to go right ahead.
“Guy, do your thing bro”. Young Allen said, taking a sip and making towards the bar’s entrance.
As far as it was Young Allen, I knew he wasn’t going to tell anyone he saw me tonight. He valued trust more than anything else and his loyalty sometimes makes me wonder if anyone could be that loyal in the world because I don’t even trust myself but Young Allen will trust anybody, so far you’ve proved to him a snap of why he should.
I made my way home still feeling chills all over wondering how to deal with my dad.

My name is Oluwatobi Johnson Jr. Aremu, the first son of Capt. Johnson Aremu. Most of my friends will swear my life is golden – a pilot father, a midwife mother, living in one of the best buildings in my neighborhood, attended one of the best schools in town. I did get almost all I wanted – you know the basics. Clothes, shoes, money…free access to any of my parents’ cars especially since they were seldom around. Dad’s always somewhere half away around the world; mum almost daily, was on hospital call. I might as well say I was raised by nannies and house helps. From the day I could remember been able to recollect events in life as a kid, this has always been the norm except during mid-year when dad and mum get to take a short leave and we’d leave Nigeria for summer vacation to spend two weeks of four golden family time. Rome, London, Paris, Amsterdam, Los Angeles, Johannesburg, Melbourne – been there as a kid alongside my little brother Daniel and my parents. That was the only life I knew, until I grew up to discover I was already living up some people’s dreams since childhood – my head popped. Just like your guesses, I moved with the wrong crowd, started keeping late nights and getting into trouble with the law as well as causing trouble in school. I was already done with secondary school and the events and troubles I had gotten into had caused a heated sour relationship with my dad and I. I knew he was going to be home for the weekend, having overhead mum on the phone some days back. So, there I was hurrying to get home to avoid another episode of arguments with my dad if I kept another late night. It usually goes like this:
“…for some reasons, you have refused to grow up! You still think you’re a kid, all you care about is to get drunk, mess around with girls, get into trouble. Look young man, the next time I get a call that you’re in police custody for whatever reason, better count me out getting you out there…look at your cousin Kenneth, he is doing well in the UK. A medical doctor in the making… and his mom… is always talking good of him. I get to spend forty-three hours flying home just to face this…another head-ache…Nonsense!”
“Dad… you shouldn’t be comparing me with Kenneth… He’s in the UK and I am here.”
“So, you been here means trouble … eh? Is that what you’re telling me young man…?” He comes closer to me as if he wants to throw a punch or something at me, whilst I adjust back. He takes a deep repressed breath, and snaps his finger at me and walks away.
“I don’t like this dad, seriously you’re overreacting”. I said subtly, knowing very much that my voice wasn’t audible enough.
My mum usually comes out afterwards after overhearing us arguing and start advising me with her sonorous innocent voice, almost crying.
“Kilonshele Olu, Kilode. What is it? Why have you decided to get my blood pressure running high all the time eh? You don’t have to be like this with your father. He loves you so much but he’s also not happy seeing you like this. I’m not happy. Wo! Look here…you literally break my heart all the time with this new behavior of yours.”
Mum was easy. Too easy, she had no heart, I mean literally, she can break down in tears even in the slightest of things. But my problem was my dad. With him snapping his fingers at me and walking away, that usually means, I wasn’t allowed to use the cars for another three days he will be around, and I tried to avoid him until he left and I was a free man again. That’s a usual episode.
For some reasons, I didn’t want that tonight, not that I was bracing myself for a change – nah, I just wanted to avoid not been able to feel free for once when my dad was in town. Just like I had proposed in my mind, he was in the house already, am guessing he just arrived seeing him seated in his favorite chair in the living room, watching a news channel, still wearing his captain suit.
“Welcome dad” I said, making way to head to my room.
“Yeah”, he said. Looking at me briskly and concentrating back on his news.
I wasn’t surprised at the response even though it was totally awkward for a father-son first conversation in weeks.
“Kenneth’s mum said your admission letter will arrive sometime next week. So, you should go check the mail box at the post office from Thursday. You should really thank God, they considered you despite your ‘not so good results’”. He said without looking at me.
“Yes sir” I replied and headed for my room, thanking heavens for no episode of argument, just monosyllabic words about school. The very ‘medicine and Kenneth’ talk that always made me look like a waste. It’s his dream to see me be a medical doctor. He’s always been fascinated with medical people, no wonder he married a nurse. Am sure it must’ve been a love at first sight thing for him when he saw my mum and now he wants the same for his son. I’ve come to like medical doctors having followed my mum several times to the hospital, else I would have revolted to be something else, just to be on the opposing side – I am that stubborn.
Re: Hello World (the Novel) A Weekly Update by smileing: 1:59pm On Sep 30, 2017
Nice beginning

Following

1 Like

Re: Hello World (the Novel) A Weekly Update by MezieNnnamani: 4:51pm On Sep 30, 2017
Thanks. @smileing
Re: Hello World (the Novel) A Weekly Update by nechechris(f): 8:55pm On Sep 30, 2017
smileyso interesting. Am following. God will take you there.
Re: Hello World (the Novel) A Weekly Update by smileing: 11:38pm On Sep 30, 2017
MezieNnnamani:
Thanks. @smileing

Welcome
Don't disappoint and don't starve me of updates cool

(1) (Reply)

Pregnant At 16 / Proposal Writer Needed / Diary Of A Pastor’s Wife (episode 6)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.