Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,716 members, 7,816,948 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? (11142 Views)

The Paradox Of Nihilism- A Problem For Atheists And Humanists / Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib / Atheists And Freethinkers, What Do Y'all Do On Christmas Day And December 31st? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by McSterling(m): 3:38am On Oct 01, 2017
I remember reading a debate online between two atheists on the subject of abortion. Richard Carrier argued for abortion while a certain brilliant lady whose name I can't recall argued against. Quite an interesting debate.

For me, I think the final choice on abortion lies with the woman whose life is actually on the line. And I do not regard it as murder as many are wont to. Provided the pregnancy is still quite early and the woman doesn't want to bear it to term for obvious good reasons, then it's fine. That's better than bringing a child into the world when one knows one isn't quite ready, no?

My views on this are obvious taboo in the hyper religious Nigerian society, and would seem to contradict my stance on humanism.

Well, as a humanist, do you think abortion is immoral?

3 Likes

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by felixomor: 4:04am On Oct 01, 2017
Abortion is murder.
A fetus is just as good as a human being
To make matters worse, nobody speaks on behalf of the fetus.
Its like sentencing a dumb man to death because he cant talk.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by petergriffin: 4:47am On Oct 01, 2017
Abortion is bad and an abuse to nature and God
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Deicide: 5:29am On Oct 01, 2017
felixomor:
Abortion is murder.
Who speak on behalf of the sperm and ova during menstruation? wet dream? who speaks for the fetus during a miscarriage?

@OP the woman made the decision to go into unprotected sex with her lover that decision she made she should be able to take responsibility for it so I don't agree that abortion should be done in this case though am not Pro-Life and it also depends on the law of the land.

6 Likes

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by hopefulLandlord: 5:40am On Oct 01, 2017
felixomor:
Abortion is murder.
Ah an anti-abortion nut making a silly and highly flawed argument. What else is new?
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Daeylar(f): 5:44am On Oct 01, 2017
McSterling:
I remember reading a debate online between two atheists on the subject of abortion. Richard Carrier argued for abortion while a certain brilliant lady whose name I can't recall argued against. Quite an interesting debate.

For me, I think the final choice on abortion lies with the woman whose life is actually on the line. And I do not regard it as murder as many are wont to. Provided the pregnancy is still quite early and the woman doesn't want to bear it to term for obvious good reasons, then it's fine. That's better than bringing a child into the world when one knows one isn't quite ready, no?

My views on this are obvious taboo in the hyper religious Nigerian society, and would seem to contradict my stance on humanism.

Well, as a humanist, do you think abortion is immoral?

I don't know about being moral because bringing a child into this world is a serious issue so it has to be a decision dependent on the people who will be responsible for the child and not on what others who don't have the responsibility to care for the child think is right or wrong. They don't matter, only the views of the people actually responsible for the care of the child matter

I'm for abortion for but then I think, won't the woman just use it as an excuse to keep getting abortions, it's irresponsible for someone to get over 4 abortions when a condom isn't that expensive or you could take birth control pills or something, but then I think again, what is my business?, is it my body? Will I carry the baby? Will i deliver the baby? Will I help take care of the baby? Will I take care of the child forever? Isn't it better for a baby to be aborted then to be born to parents who don't want them, the effects of such are seen in the society today. No baby should be born to parents who don't want he/she.

Then I get confused and ultimately decide to be neutral. If you want to keep the child, if you don't want to keep the child, it's up to the parents, let them do what they feel is best

By the way, I'm not interested in the views of the "hyper religious Nigerian society," who are only religious when it benefits them and become bloody hypocrites when it doesn't.

7 Likes

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 7:35am On Oct 01, 2017
It is subjective.....

What type of abortion are you discussing about? There is a delibrate abortion, they are abortion that are terminated for the pupose of shame e.g father and daugher pregnancy.....rape victim, medical conditions and so many more...

I willl assume you are talking about deliberate termination....

Killing a human or yet to be a human (fetus) without reason for one or more valid reason is without doubt wrong. And in this case deliberate termination of pregnancy should be totally condemn..

I agree all humans have certain rights, among them being Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness......well, the pregnancy may be yours but your own personal decision isn't enough to justify the wrong act......just like cannabis is a wrong act....though you only affect yourself when you do it.....

3 Likes

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by wirinet(m): 7:35am On Oct 01, 2017
felixomor:
Abortion is murder.

If abortion is murder, then who speaks for the over 50% of all fetuses that are naturally aborted (miscarried). Who is murdering 50% of all fetuses because they cannot talk?

See report;

Pregnancy and Miscarriage

According to the March of Dimes, as many as 50% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage -- most often before a woman misses a menstrual period or even knows she is pregnant. About 15-25% of recognized pregnancies will end in a miscarriage.
http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/pregnancy-miscarriage

Many times an egg is fertilized with a sperm to form a zygote, but the zygote is unable to implant itself unto the uterus, it ends up as an aborted pregnancy. Same thing as having an abortion within 4 weeks of pregnancy.

5 Likes

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by felixomor: 8:06am On Oct 01, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Ah an anti-abortion nut making a silly and highly flawed argument. What else is new?
Sharrap. You know nothing

2 Likes

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by felixomor: 8:10am On Oct 01, 2017
wirinet:

If abortion is murder, then who speaks for the over 50% of all fetuses that are naturally aborted (miscarried). Who is murdering 50% of all fetuses because they cannot talk?

Thank God you said natural

Natural death is different from murder.
Get it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by hopefulLandlord: 8:13am On Oct 01, 2017
felixomor:

Sharrap. You know nothing
oh look! an omniscient being calls me Jon Snow

2 Likes

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by felixomor: 8:22am On Oct 01, 2017
Deicide:

Who speak on behalf of the sperm and ova during menstruation? wet dream? who speaks for the fetus during a miscarriage?

Baba there is no sperm in menstruation.
Besides miscarriage and menstruation are not intentional acts.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Deicide: 8:23am On Oct 01, 2017
felixomor:

Thank God you said natural

Natural death is different from murder.
Get it
Felixmoron you did not answer the main question but use style to run from it cheesy
wirinet:

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by felixomor: 8:25am On Oct 01, 2017
Deicide:

Felixmoron you did not answer the main question but use style to run from it cheesy
Please switch to your other monikers
The foolishness on this one is strong as usual ryt now.

1 Like

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Deicide: 8:26am On Oct 01, 2017
felixomor:

Baba there is no sperm in menstruation.
Besides miscarriage and menstruation are not intentional acts.
It seems that English language is a problem for you here lemme highlight it so you can understand but if you still cant then i cannot help you
Deicide:

Who speaks on behalf of the sperm and ova during menstruation? wet dream? who speaks for the fetus during a miscarriage?
Gerrit?

@bolded which brings us back to you answering that question Who is responsible?
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Deicide: 8:29am On Oct 01, 2017
felixomor:

Please switch to your other monikers
The foolishness on this one is strong as usual ryt now.
Will switching to my other moniker make you answer the question felixmoron? grin
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by felixomor: 8:29am On Oct 01, 2017
Deicide:

[s]It seems that English language is a problem for you here lemme highlight it so you can understand but if you still cant then i cannot help you

Gerrit?

@bolded which brings us back to you answering that question Who is responsible?[/s]

So where does sperm come in ?
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by felixomor: 8:30am On Oct 01, 2017
Deicide:

[s]Will switching to my other moniker make you answer the question felixmoron?[/s] grin
Ediort,
Just Obey undecided
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Deicide: 8:32am On Oct 01, 2017
felixomor:

Ediort,
Just Obey undecided
Answer the question FELIXMORON cheesy
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Deicide: 8:33am On Oct 01, 2017
felixomor:

So where does sperm come in ?
You still don't understand do you know what that means? it means i cant help you grin this one pass my power
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by wolesmile(m): 8:34am On Oct 01, 2017
felixomor:
Abortion is murder.
Honestly, I am against abortion, especially from the second trimester. We might want to argue for its justification when its a pregnancy of shame, like incest and rape cases. But what if the baby is born before the issue of its paternity comes up, will the baby be to cover the shame? Whoever doesn't want a baby yet should prevent pregnancy through the various birth control measures. Or better still, abstain. Even rape victims should be educated on the need to put aside their shame and get medical help immediately.
However, there are times when a pregnancy may threaten the life of the mother. I'll strongly support abortion in this instance. Better to allow the fetus go than lose both mother and the unborn child.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by felixomor: 8:34am On Oct 01, 2017
Deicide:

[s]You still don't understand do you know what that means? it means i cant help you grin this one pass my power[/s]

You finally copped out.
Ediort cool
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by felixomor: 8:36am On Oct 01, 2017
Deicide:

Answer the question FELIXMORON cheesy
Keep quiet dia
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Humanistme: 8:37am On Oct 01, 2017
petergriffin:

the question is for humanists and freethinkers not religionists.

2 Likes

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Humanistme: 8:38am On Oct 01, 2017
Daeylar:

I don't know about being moral because bringing a child into this world is very serious so it has to be a decision dependent on the people who will be responsible for the child and not on what others who don't have the responsibility to care for the child think is right or wrong.

I'm for abortion for but then I think, won't the woman just use it as an excuse to keep getting abortions, it's irresponsible for someone to get over 4 abortions when a condom isn't that expensive or you could take birth control pills or something, but then I think again, what is my business?, is it my body? Will I carry the baby or help take care of the baby? Will I take care of the child forever? Isn't it better for a baby to be aborted then to be born to parents who don't want them, the effects of such are seen in the society today.

Then I get confused and ultimately decide to be neutral.

By the way, I'm not interested in the views of the "hyper religious Nigerian society," who are only religious when it benefits them and become bloody hypocrites when it doesn't.

hmmm
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by petergriffin: 8:46am On Oct 01, 2017
Humanistme:

the question is for humanists and freethinkers not religionists.
grin grin then remove God from my comment

2 Likes

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 8:52am On Oct 01, 2017
wirinet:

See report;

Many times an egg is fertilized with a sperm to form a zygote, but the zygote is unable to implant itself unto the uterus, it ends up as an aborted pregnancy. Same thing as having an abortion within 4 weeks of pregnancy.

Natural death is not murder. Murder is an intentional act. Any intentional abortion is a no no. Perhaps you would have loved to have been intentionally aborted or murdered as a fetus.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by adepeter2027(m): 8:54am On Oct 01, 2017
petergriffin:
But God killing the Egyptian isn't murder àbí undecided
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by adepeter2027(m): 9:00am On Oct 01, 2017
Butterfly and Felix won't kill me o-o.

According to them, the universe is perfectly designed, yet abortion is NATURAL. But when humans deliberately execute the act, it's artificial. (lwkmd4h)

cc hopefullandlord, deceide and Co.

Una read that nonsense above?.......

4 Likes

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Humanistme: 9:08am On Oct 01, 2017
petergriffin:
grin grin then remove God from my comment

Then your comment is useless, spontaneous abortion occur in nature.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Deicide: 9:14am On Oct 01, 2017
adepeter2027:
Butterfly and Felix won't kill me o-o.

According to them, the universe is perfectly designed, yet abortion is NATURAL. But when humans deliberately execute the act, it's artificial. (lwkmd4h)

cc hopefullandlord, deceide and Co.

Una read that nonsense above?.......
Yeah i saw it grin
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by chemystery: 9:18am On Oct 01, 2017
As an atheist, in as much as I disagree with the theist on the existence of god doesn't mean I disagree with them on anything else.

To me, abortion is morally wrong but morally equating it with murder and thus criminalizing it is where the biggest problem lies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Who Is The Head Of A Christian Home? Christ Or The Husband? / See How You Miss The Blessing Of God Almighty Always / "Benefit Of Singleness And Commitment In Marriage" - Faith Oyedepo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.