Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,385 members, 7,822,794 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

Sitting On The Sidelines - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Sitting On The Sidelines (466 Views)

Sitting In The Dark / The Man Sitting In Your Front (the Story In My Head) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sitting On The Sidelines by MaeOtto(f): 8:24pm On Oct 01, 2017
Since I can remember I've always been told to be pretty, act like a lady. 'Wear some more lip gloss your lips look dry and chapped'. 'Wear more skirts, ladies show off their knees, what are you hiding under those jeans anyway?' 'Why would you want to play outside? girls play with dolls' 'Put on some earrings you look plain', 'Do no wear horizontal stripes, vertical stripes look better on you' 'People with your body shape shouldn't wear leather skirts' 'Do not wear hooped earrings, only hookers wear those' 'Wear braids, they suit you more than those weaves you love so much'

My first instinct was to go against everything my mother stood for like any other child would do. But I found myself slowly conforming to her ways. I crossed my legs and my ankles or my knees, I wore more skirts, I didn't speak unless I was spoken to, I didn't take a drink until I was offered one, I wore jewelry, i wore makeup to her liking, I didn't laugh out loudly like the other girls, I wore vertical stripes, I stayed away from leather skirts, I wore braids and I made sure to pick my plate of rice, grain by grain with a fork for almost an hour and despite my urges not to, leave a sizable amount on the plate like she asked. I never wore hooped earrings and I gave up almost all my jeans and all was right with the world.

That is until I noticed I was invisible, living on the sidelines trying to meet up to these expectations of something that I wasn't and almost losing myself in the process. I guess you could say that's when I started writing, really writing. things that mattered to me, things that made me feel like me. You never really notice how quite invisible you are until someone walks into the classroom and goes, 'Did that girl even show for class today?' and you were sitting right there three rows from him with your head on your desk.

For me that was all I needed. If people couldn't really see me then what's the use of acting like I'm this perfectly put together person that I wasn't. So I made my own rules, I wore my jeans, I wore horizontal stripes, I wore leather skirts, I wore weaves, I ate my food, I wore my whooped earrings and I laughed out loud every single time.

No one can put you in a box you don't decide to be in. Do not be a spectator in your own life, do not sit on the sidelines.

Agree to disagree.

Make your own rules.

Play in the game.
Re: Sitting On The Sidelines by hakeem4(m): 10:20am On Oct 03, 2017
Sits down here with my pop corn

Sholaqe(f), Daisythof, ajokebelle(f), dareerah(f), DrAmanda(f), donnaD(f), ayolatv, Narldon(f), presidency, sarrki(m), HungerBAD, Mzthowxeen(f), omosefeeguaibor(f), shany97(f), Statsocial, Silverreins2016(f), MrMystique(m), midehi2(f), ForeverYoung197(f), Praisemelody(m), myfantasies(f), KingEbukasBlog(m), JAZES(m), icedmila(f), DangotePikin, feran15(m), hayjay16(f), Behira(f), Shebarh(f), lalasticlala(m), stevo1997, DzTzl(f), ferhyntorlah(f), serena433(f), emerald20(f), smsshola(m), DuchessLily(f), delectablegyal(f), iTunesNG, Sandydayz(f), shachris02, cherylsmith(f), Abba999(f), Mushood, micolaj, Super1Star, Katsumoto, ifeanyija(m), tosyne2much(m), stalicia(f), MissTechy(f), jokunle(m), TopWinner(m), Eshinwaju, Seun(m), Mariojane(f), queenbesha(f), Madamkilljoy(f), sukkot, Takim107(f), amokeme(f), Harbosede02(f), DelCarter(m), jrerico1(m), trisha01(f), Mprex(f), nikkflexible(f)

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Thank-you Note / Vengeance / The Black Prayer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.