Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,862 members, 7,844,793 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook (5188 Views)

Hurray!!! Nairaland Is 10 Years Today!!! / I Really Enjoy Nairaland Than Facebook Or Twitter. / Nairaland Is More Interesting And Addictive Than Facebook.true Or False? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by Afam4eva(m): 2:19pm On Mar 09, 2010
denny4ril:

cool i am on both but i think this nairaland is more lively, u can connect both locally and globally as well as u can on fbook but fbook has some restrictions and a bit more firm, not that flexible, u know!

and what are these restrictions?
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by DOAweb(m): 2:19pm On Mar 09, 2010
[size=16pt]Whatever!!!  grin grin grin grin[/size]
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by Afam4eva(m): 2:26pm On Mar 09, 2010
Seun is paying leap service to the future of Nairaland because he has no competition.
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by Teaser4(m): 2:28pm On Mar 09, 2010
This is a controversial issue,fb is aint like b4,frm mobile site u cant accept friend request nd many probs
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by vianooo1(f): 2:38pm On Mar 09, 2010
Nairaland and F.book can't be compared cus they are too different kind of sites.

i completely agree
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by harakiri(m): 2:52pm On Mar 09, 2010
It depends on how you look at it.Ghana forum users would always say theirs is the best coz the feel "at home" on there.Same with Nigerians when they come to nairaland.

@Poster

If you want unbiased contributions, ask this same question on an american,british or chinese forum and see the outcome grin
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by Maxidoe(m): 3:19pm On Mar 09, 2010
Dolemite:

Utter rubbish, Nairaland has had the same design for over 5 years, not even a single change other forums change from time to time, over 5 years and Seun is still using the same SMF and google sponsored ads, i don't know how much he makes but considering the number of people here i'd say quite a lot - but he does nothing to take the site to a new level, reach out to new audiences  -no ambition at all, same Nigerian if it isn't broke don't fix it mentality. Facebook is innovative, you can develop your own apps now, great avenue for businesses now come on how can you even compare? Nairaland's success is solely based on the people, let to Seun alone this site would have been dead along time ago - not even a simple chatroom for God sake, the only thing that makes this site 'lively' is YOU the people who come here.

. . .and if this trend continues i see another Nigerian website coming out from no where and blowing Nairaland right on it's backside. . .

Gbam, Another strong Gbam you have said it all,i keep saying it this site in terms of look is bleeped,its so static, no changes since i joined till today,no ambition, new modules or applications are never added,this site is simply not dynamic.

You can do everything you do on Nairaland on facebook, but trust there are thousand things you do on facebook, you would never do here.

Not to talk of the insults that keeps flying from every angle, people who derive joy from others misfortune,their is no respect amongst members, tribalism is the order of the day, it goes on and on, most times there attitudes is sickening.
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by chukz4real(m): 3:20pm On Mar 09, 2010
:-x :-x :-x
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by ohisng(m): 3:32pm On Mar 09, 2010
FB is way ahead of NL!! NL doesnt even spend money to improve its quality!!
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by parki: 3:35pm On Mar 09, 2010
Nairaland is just a bullshit site. . . . . . . . No wonder it is owned by an effing nigerian
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by SamMilla1(m): 3:52pm On Mar 09, 2010
C'mon people.

Seun himself knows the differences between nl and facebook.
They cannot be compared in anyway.
i commend seun for keeping up in hosting nairaland. its not easy considering that he lives in nigeria
but some people just have to understand the concepts of these two sites before throwing a thread out.
A kid just discovered internet and start comparisons,

80% of nairalanders are on facebook.
0.05% of facebookers are on nairaland.
can you see that ?

now while nairaland is rich on info about naira
fb is rich on info about every other currency out there including naira.

while nairaland is hosted on approximately 190dollar/mon server [including the nairalist]

facebook is hosted on 10,000 dollar/month server.

while facebook has about 5000 workers
nl has one worker [seun].

while facebook can host millions of applications from millions of members
nairaland hosts none.

while facebook is a custom script
nairaland runs on an SMF script and its free.

while facebook is in hundreds of languages

nairaland is on 1.

now individually, we all have what we do on both sites.
if i want to feel at home and tell jokes that nigerians will understand, i come here.

if i want to connect to the world, i go to facebook.

mathematically  facebook = the whole world + nigeria
  nairaland = nigeria minus the rest of the world.
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by Bawss1(m): 4:00pm On Mar 09, 2010
Come on Facebook is way better than Nairaland.

For starters compare what FB has done for Zuckerberg and what NL has done for Seun.
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by maedan(f): 4:04pm On Mar 09, 2010
People are being unfair in their comparisons between the two. Sam Milla, I mean, come on -
Sam Milla:

1.)  70% of nairalanders are on facebook.

But how is that a bad thing? Are all facebookers Nigerian?? This is first and foremost a Nigerian site, not a world site

2.)  now while nairaland is rich on info about naira

Ditto above.

3.)  while nairaland is hosted on aproximately 270dollar/mon server [including thr nairalist]

Now this is UTTERLY unfair tongue.

4.)  while facebook can host millions of applications from millions of members
nairaland hosts none.

a site can be lively, can in fact exist happily, on zero applications whatsoever. All it needs is members.

5.)while facebook is a custom script

Hmm. What ever grin.

6.) while facebook is in hundreds of languages

nairaland is on 1.

I could have sworn I saw a few threads in other languages on NL. . . undecided

if i want to feel at home and tell jokes that nigerians will understand, i come here.

6.) mathematically  facebook = the whole world + nigeria

Na lie!! many foreigners frequent and even contribute to the site. I have seen quite a few cool.

As we speak, this site has about 1,400 users online at a given time. A quarter of those are actually registered, frequent members. So I guess it's safe to say that NL is lively in its own right. Facebook is a social site, Nairaland is a society. Most of the time wink.
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by PurestBoy(m): 4:05pm On Mar 09, 2010
Sam Milla:

C'mon people.

i commend seun for keeping up in hosting nairaland. its not easy considering that he lives in nigeria
but some people just have to understand the concepts of these two sites before throwing a thread out.

can you see that ?

while nairaland is hosted on approximately 190dollar/mon server [including the nairalist]

nairaland hosts none.

nairaland is on 1.

We all know facebook is international but which of the two can you not do without? Where do you get your fun and tell us how facebook is informative? Pls sincere about your answer
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by Bawss1(m): 4:17pm On Mar 09, 2010
Sam Milla:

C'mon people.

can you see that ?

nairaland hosts none.

nairaland is on 1.

Seems like the typical excuses you get for mediocrity in Nigeria. Its not easy blah blah blah. Nobody ever said it would be easy.
NL is great but it can be greater. So much potential to unlock
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 09, 2010
MAKE ME VOTE

ADMIN CREATE POLL
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by SwtzMinx(f): 4:26pm On Mar 09, 2010
.dz is a wEiRd thread. . .fb is c0MPleTely nd UtTErLy different fr0m nairaland. . .n0 bASis 4 c0mparis0n.
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by SamMilla1(m): 4:49pm On Mar 09, 2010
maedan:

People are being unfair in their comparisons between the two. Sam Milla, I mean, come on -

As we speak, this site has about 1,400 users online at a given time. A quarter of those are actually registered, frequent members. So I guess it's safe to say that NL is lively in its own right. Facebook is a social site, Nairaland is a society. Most of the time wink.

Yes , Nl is lively on its own,  thats why you dont have to compare it with facebook.
Its a lively site, actually the most lively nigerian website but again,it cant be compared with FB.
Then about 1400 users online at a given time,
it could be more than that if seun raises the online time to one hour or two hours or more.
It can be dramatically reduced if he takes it down to 1 minute.
Lets just say i know about SMF and nairaland far more better than you.

PurestBoy:

We all know facebook is international but which of the two can you not do without? Where do you get your fun and tell us how facebook is informative? Pls sincere about your answer

Nice question. It depends on what you do on both sites.
There was a time i visit Nairaland 20 times a day and facebook twice.

But now i visit nairaland 3 0r 4 times a day and visit facebook about 20 times a day.

It all depends on what you do on both sites.
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by elbat: 5:03pm On Mar 09, 2010
Interesting thread. The two sites each have their own unique and distinct blend of fun.

FB only allows my own people to see my shit except I join a group,
NL is open where I can see what everyone on the forum is thinking, and it's a more naija focused perspective.

So depends on what I am looking for,
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by maedan(f): 5:05pm On Mar 09, 2010
Sam Milla:

Yes , Nl is lively in its own,  thats why you dont have to compare it with facebook.
Its a lively site, actually the most lively nigerian website but again,it cant be compared with FB.

Sam Milla:

It depends on what you do on both sites.
There was a time i visit Nairaland 20 times a day and facebook twice.
But now i visit nairaland 3 0r 4 times a day and visit facebook about 20 times a day.
It all depends on what you do on both sites.

Just what is your stand? That they shouldn't be compared, or that "it depends"??

Sam Milla:

Then about 1400 users online at a given time,
it could be more than that if seun raises the online time to one hour or two hours or more.
It can be dramatically reduced if he takes it down to 1 minute.

Speak in English please. What exactly are you on about??

Sam Milla:

Lets just say i know about SMF and nairaland far more better than you.

Yes, yes embarassed. And that makes me feel so scholastically deprived cheesy tongue.
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by Ben13: 5:08pm On Mar 09, 2010
They're two different softwares altogether~!

Facebook and Nairaland are good.
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by Thor(m): 5:11pm On Mar 09, 2010
LMAO

Facebook has over 350 million users grin grin grin

You can not compare Nairaland with such a social networking giant grin grin grin
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by maedan(f): 5:13pm On Mar 09, 2010
Thor:

LMAO

Facebook has over 350 million users grin grin grin

You can not compare Nairaland with such a social networking giant grin grin grin

Lol. And upon this I rest my case cheesy.

The topic should have read, Nairaland or Facebook - Which One is More Important to YOU??
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by SamMilla1(m): 5:17pm On Mar 09, 2010
maedan:

Just what is your stand? That they shouldn't be compared, or that "it depends"??

Speak in English please. What exactly are you on about??

Yes, yes embarassed. And that makes me feel so scholastically deprived cheesy tongue.

Let me try to explain a little for you.

If you check on nairaland, it says "Online in last 10 minutes"

Now if seun increase that to 20 minutes, that 1400 users online at a given time will be doubled to 2800.
You get that ? Easy enough lady.

Ok , in that same 10 minutes , facebook hosts 100,000 users online at a given time,

Can you see that ?
As at one year ago, facebook has 350 million users. Real time users ,
Thats why i said you cant compare them,
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by maedan(f): 5:26pm On Mar 09, 2010
Sam Milla:

Let me try to explain a little for you.

If you check on nairaland, it says "Online in last 10 minutes"

Now if seun increase that to 20 minutes, that 1400 users online at a given time will be doubled to 2800.
You get that ? Easy enough lady.

Ok , in that same 10 minutes , facebook hosts 100,000 users online at a given time,

Can you see that ?
As at one year ago, facebook has 350 million users. Real time users ,
Thats why i said you cant compare them,

Come now bro, I said case rested!! (a lawyer would understand, Mr. Internet guru grin)
But ok, ok, I'll pretend I get your point, just so we can agree to disagree.
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by Acidosis(m): 5:39pm On Mar 09, 2010
MEANINGLESS COMPARISON
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by switch360(f): 5:48pm On Mar 09, 2010
Hey guys!! THE COMPARISON IS BASED ON BEING LIVELY NOT ON ITS PUORPOSE SO THERE IS BASIS FOR COMPARISON
The comparison is in terms of being LIVELY so it can be compared!! it is clear that many people has never really explored facebook to its full potentials. Facebook has got lots of Applications, games and third party applications that makes it FUN and lively, it also has discussion and thread far beyond what Nairaland can ever achieve.
Nairaland has since lost its bite and people come here to post insult, express sexual fantasy with little level of intelligent , usefull post of recent. most of nairaland traffic is more or less like WAKA PASS . they get here through search engines and majority dont stay because there is brain drain in the land. 90% of its registered users are not active in fact 90% of the so called 489032 members has zero posts. ever wonder why??

The percentage of facebook users who are active far exceed this, the reason is simple, they have enough reason to stay!!

@ sam milla
i hail o. the site's usefull content has greatly reduced
[b]
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by lousyyabz: 6:03pm On Mar 09, 2010
nairaland has quickly lost its taste to me. too much celebrity frenzy and favourism on this forum. moderators are also power hungry and deleting unpopular individuals just because they share different views with others. Also coupled with the fact that anonymous people log on to make themselves feel better by bashing others is simply pathetic. facebook is more real to me. if u see someone as fat as a pig insulting u, u can relate with that but here people make up stories just to put others down. on the other hand, facebook welcomes all cultures, supports free speech and is in no way promoting the creators homeland. here i have seen people bashing a jamaican because they see it as an insult to come to a "nigerian"forum to express her jamaican opinion.
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by babaowo: 6:32pm On Mar 09, 2010
some people are dude why compare both together?
Re: Nairaland Is More Lively Than Facebook by Nobody: 6:46pm On Mar 09, 2010
I don't have a facebook. But NL is interesting indeed. Some ppl on here I tell you. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Please Who Knows What Is Slippery Elm In Yoruba? / Callotti's Public Pms Part 2. / Facts You Probably Never Knew! (Must Read)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.