Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,247 members, 7,825,942 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

Unknown Structures As Viewed From Satellite Near Nigerian Homes - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Unknown Structures As Viewed From Satellite Near Nigerian Homes (1175 Views)

Oba Of Benin - Erediauwa Akpolokpolo I - Dies Of Unknown Illness / 10th Century Great Wall Of Kano And Associated Structures / Nigerian Homes Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Unknown Structures As Viewed From Satellite Near Nigerian Homes by webtravelr: 5:12pm On Mar 07, 2010
I'm from the U.S. I have a friend who is from Nigeria and still lives there. She travels a lot around much of Africa. Every time she goes somewhere new, I go online and look it up. I love to travel but right now, by computer is the only way I can do that. So I use Google maps, satellite view and streetview to satisfy my need to visit places around the world. One day I noticed in the satellite views that in many towns in Nigeria there are structures in neighborhoods that look like they have walls but no roofs. The are often near to houses. Some are as big as houses and others are smaller. At first glance, they look like they could be small pens for small livestock. Or they could be some form of gardening. But then I thought the they could be abandoned houses where the roofs fell in over time. They could be the old foundations of the houses. But there seemed to be too many of them for that. I asked my friend what they were but she didn't know. I've seen them in satellite views of Abuja, Ibadan, Jos and several other cities. Here's a link to a Google satellite view of a neighborhood in Ibadan: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=7.411798,3.959509&spn=0.003772,0.009012&t=h&z=18. There are even more in Shaki: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=8.67206,3.402752&spn=0.00376,0.006968&z=18. Can anyone tell me what they are? I can't find any pictures online that show them more clearly than the satellite images.  smiley Thanks.
Re: Unknown Structures As Viewed From Satellite Near Nigerian Homes by MPEROR: 1:56pm On Mar 14, 2010
i think, i am not sure but my guess is they are uncompleted building at different stage of construction
Re: Unknown Structures As Viewed From Satellite Near Nigerian Homes by webtravelr: 8:48pm On Mar 14, 2010
Thanks Emperor. You could be right. That does make some sense. I just found it astounding to see so many all over Nigeria. I never thought so many people would read my post and not answer. I figured someone in Nairaland.com who knows Nigeria well would have a definite answer! smiley Oh well, guess I'll just have to see for myself when I manage to visit there someday!

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Girls / Iri Ji Ohuru( New Yam Festival) / What Is Your Take On This Wedding Gown? Evil Or Civilization?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.