Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,508 members, 7,823,190 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

TSTV In Trouble? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / TSTV In Trouble? (1874 Views)

BBN SEASON 5 Guys In Trouble, Dorothy And Other Housemates Expose Nak*dness / TSTV Launches In Nigeria: Channels, Packages, Subscription & Decoder Prices / DSTV In Trouble As TSTV Takes Center Stage On 1st October, Offer Pay-as-go Subsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TSTV In Trouble? by Leopantro: 9:48pm On Oct 03, 2017
1. Bein sports acquired the EPL, Champions League and Laliga only for MENA (Middle East and North Africa). They do not have the right for Nigeria. DSTV owns the rights for Nigeria till 2019. You cannot give what you do not have. When a new service is launched, you have to wait for the next bidding round to have a shot at acquiring the rights. You cannot jump in the middle and start showing it. Things are not done that way in the PayTV world.
A lot of channels listed like CNN, National Geographic, Discovery etc were acquired by DSTV on an exclusive basis for DTH in sub-saharan Africa by DSTV. Channels like Star Movies, MBC2, etc are only cleared for middle east and Asia. I really doubt that they have the rights to those channels. They may show it for one or two months before they are asked to take them off air.
I check with a content aggregator on the cost per subscriber for these channels, assuming they can buy the rights, it came out the about 23 USD per month. That is excluding the sports channels. Based on today's naira exchange rate of 365 naira to a dollar, the cost is 8,395 Naira per subscriber. The content owners globally charge per month for their content. They do not charge per week or part of the month. The content owners dictate the terms. Nobody can pay 8395 Naira and charge 3000 Naira. Not possible.
The cost of decoder package is as follows - decoder 25 USD, smartcard 4 USD, dish is 5 USD. Total is 34 USD (12410 naira). If we add shipping and clearing, you can get 15,000 Naira. To charge 5000 Naira for the package, you will need a lot of cheap money from bank to fund the decoder purchase. Buying 15,000 and selling 5000 sounds interesting to me.
To do internet via satellite, you need VSAT equipment which is expensive compared to the dish/lnb you need to receive dstv. Minimum cost of vsat equipment should be not less than 50,000 Naira. If you use the traditional dish equipment, you can only receive. You cannot do internet with it. Unless TSTV will supply you 40,000 Naira vsat equipment for 5000 Naira.
I went to lyngsat and checked the ABS 3A satellite, I did not see any information about any TSTV channels. Lyngsat is the database of all channels currently on satellite.
When you launch a new DTH platform, you start with a test transmission. This allows you to work through some issues that might come up. It also gives people chance to see some of your channels to make sure they are real before committing their money. There is no test transmission from TSTV.
In conclusion, people should ask enough questions before investing their hard earned money. If it is too good to be true, it's probably is. Let this not be another MMM.
EFCC recently arrested this guy for fraud.
http://motherhoodinstyle.net/2016/01/23/doctor-who-proposed-marriage-to-wifes-close-friend-4-months-after-her-death-dumped-after-hes-nabbed-by-efcc/

Re: TSTV In Trouble? by psalmson001: 9:50pm On Oct 03, 2017
Re: TSTV In Trouble? by Abdullateef77(m): 9:55pm On Oct 03, 2017
Will let time judge all of this
Re: TSTV In Trouble? by lordm(m): 9:57pm On Oct 03, 2017
Na wa o
Re: TSTV In Trouble? by Nasa28(m): 9:59pm On Oct 03, 2017
Dstv agent spotted......

BTW, I'm sure they know Wat they're doing...

1 Like

Re: TSTV In Trouble? by Leopantro: 10:02pm On Oct 03, 2017
i don't even have DSTV and i stopped my GoTV subscription two months ago; was boring.
Re: TSTV In Trouble? by rezky(m): 10:03pm On Oct 03, 2017
Make I jst dey observe....after I don advertise pass d company.. I jst dey hammer on *PLUS 10Gig DATA* like say na me dey share am...'
Re: TSTV In Trouble? by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:06pm On Oct 03, 2017
[quote author=Leopantro post=61081972][/quote]

Interesting.

So why are all these stations being shown by CTL in the east for about 3.5k?

Is there no other satellite provider in the entire Africa showing CNN? Hope you know its actually available as Free To Air on some satellites in Africa?

I doubt if paying for CNN gives them the right to use it for Gotv too

This sub Saharan Africa rights thing is a fable. There's something about that story that doesn't add up.

Canal+ shows the premier league in many countries in Sub Saharan Africa. BeIN sports too. Check TV listings for any coming premier league match...

Install Live Soccer TV app, it has listings for stations showing football. Sudan, Chad, Djibouti and some more watch BeIN sports.

I think we often conflate the fact that many of these countries don't have satellite TV providers at all, and Dstv is likely the only provider there to mean its only DStv that has rights.

Ive read somewhere once that the rights is for English speaking broadcast and others can broadcast in other languages. Thing is, its hard to sell French broadcasts in an English speaking country....

If I'm not mistaken sef, the last time they sold rights it was country by country and not whole Africa

Moreover, nothing stops a provider that has rights from sublicensing.

Thats all I want to know. I am not challenging your lengthy write up even though Im not inclined to fact check but some things no add up na

PS: LYNGSAT is not omnipotent. Its people who list SATs there and many times you will find old info or no info for what's there. For instance least time I checked Daarsat was still listed and we ask know it died.

Some one posted it on FTA thread that test transmission started with 7 stations about a week ago. I just wasn't inclined to move my dish yet. I don't think those that said it was transmitting had cause to lie. But sha na Nigeria we dey.

They have a big office and equipment in Abuja. They haven't collected a dime from anyone. It will be very weird that they'd do all that, get govt rebates, launching etc for nothing.

What if the entire football thing is streaming? Does DStv own streaming rights too?

Chill

2 Likes

Re: TSTV In Trouble? by obojememe: 10:08pm On Oct 03, 2017
This is nawa
Re: TSTV In Trouble? by harizonal123(m): 10:16pm On Oct 03, 2017
Enemies of progress everywhere you turn

2 Likes

Re: TSTV In Trouble? by dustmalik: 10:27pm On Oct 03, 2017
Re: TSTV In Trouble? by donjazet(m): 10:40pm On Oct 03, 2017
I will still purchase it at this cheap price to enable them grow very well.

LIKE AND SHARE IN SUPPORT OF TSTV.

6 Likes

Re: TSTV In Trouble? by Ajanacool(m): 10:43pm On Oct 03, 2017
Fake letter. DSTV agents/staff/relatives at work. But its too late already. Tstv is only gaining more popularity. Dstv make una start counter promo o. or go down honourable

2 Likes

Re: TSTV In Trouble? by braithwaite(m): 10:44pm On Oct 03, 2017

Lie or no lie, na onli football b my issue.. E no cost me past 600mb to watch my darling team online every weekend and during UCL games..

Tstv or dstv ah no send anibodi..

2 Likes

Re: TSTV In Trouble? by emmanuelpopson(m): 10:52pm On Oct 03, 2017
and the enemies submitted...

1 Like

Re: TSTV In Trouble? by TheKingIsHere: 10:53pm On Oct 03, 2017
Tstv is finished that's why they cannot sell their decoder.
Re: TSTV In Trouble? by Leyqute(m): 10:55pm On Oct 03, 2017
LOOOOOL
Re: TSTV In Trouble? by Mediapace: 11:03pm On Oct 03, 2017
If this people no show Uefa , i swear i no go buy am
Re: TSTV In Trouble? by alt3r3g0: 11:04pm On Oct 03, 2017
Op where is your link to make this legit?

cc: refreshrate
Re: TSTV In Trouble? by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:16pm On Oct 03, 2017
Meanwhile, why is the market responding instead of calling their lawyers to sue TSTV?

Adding stations and more football content to Gotv, even hearing speculation of DStv price promos.

Why is that the response?

I think it's better to just chill and watch events unfold rather than jump to all these conclusions.

At least these guys managed to get connection to the govt of the day. And we all know 'leg' is 90% of Nigerian Business

1 Like

Re: TSTV In Trouble? by alt3r3g0: 11:18pm On Oct 03, 2017
4llerbuntu:

Interesting.

So why are all these stations being shown by CTL in the east for about 3.5k?

Is there no other satellite provider in the entire Africa showing CNN? Hope you know its actually available as Free To Air on some satellites in Africa?

I doubt if paying for CNN gives them the right to use it for Gotv too

This sub Saharan Africa rights thing is a fable. There's something about that story that doesn't add up.

Canal+ shows the premier league in many countries in Sub Saharan Africa. BeIN sports too. Check TV listings for any coming premier league match...

Install Live Soccer TV app, it has listings for stations showing football. Sudan, Chad, Djibouti and some more watch BeIN sports.

I think we often conflate the fact that many of these countries don't have satellite TV providers at all, and Dstv is likely the only provider there to mean its only DStv that has rights.

Ive read somewhere once that the rights is for English speaking broadcast and others can broadcast in other languages. Thing is, its hard to sell French broadcasts in an English speaking country....

If I'm not mistaken sef, the last time they sold rights it was country by country and not whole Africa

Moreover, nothing stops a provider that has rights from sublicensing.

Thats all I want to know. I am not challenging your lengthy write up even though Im not inclined to fact check but some things no add up na

PS: LYNGSAT is not omnipotent. Its people who list SATs there and many times you will find old info or no info for what's there. For instance least time I checked Daarsat was still listed and we ask know it died.

Some one posted it on FTA thread that test transmission started with 7 stations about a week ago. I just wasn't inclined to move my dish yet. I don't think those that said it was transmitting had cause to lie. But sha na Nigeria we dey.

They have a big office and equipment in Abuja. They haven't collected a dime from anyone. It will be very weird that they'd do all that, get govt rebates, launching etc for nothing.

What if the entire football thing is streaming? Does DStv own streaming rights too?

Chill

Will they illegally stream Bein sports as well? Because from the letter Bein sports does not know them.

I dont think because something can be streamed means no lines are being crossed. Youtube does take down streaming of some live contents and even hosting of some other contents on their website.

1 Like

Re: TSTV In Trouble? by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:50pm On Oct 03, 2017
Re: TSTV In Trouble? by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:51pm On Oct 03, 2017
alt3r3g0:

Will they illegally stream Bein sports as well? Because from the letter Bein sports does not know them.

I dont think because something can be streamed means no lines are being crossed. Youtube does take down streaming of some live contents and even hosting of some other contents on their website.

Well, thing about streaming is you have to know who to go after especially If they dont run the servers.

I've been streaming football exclusively for 2 years now, it's a different world compared with YouTube. YouTube is a content aggregator. You are posting your video on YouTube servers. They have control.

When the server is not yours, it's more difficult. Even UK that they started clamping down on kodi boxes and livestreaming through ISPs, folks simply use a VPN and life continues.

Anyways, I still want to know how all these infringement thing doesn't affect CTL
Re: TSTV In Trouble? by alt3r3g0: 12:16am On Oct 04, 2017
4llerbuntu:

Well, thing about streaming is you have to know who to go after especially If they dont run the servers.

I've been streaming football exclusively for 2 years now, it's a different world compared with YouTube. YouTube is a content aggregator. You are posting your video on YouTube servers. They have control.

When the server is not yours, it's more difficult. Even UK that they started clamping down on kodi boxes and livestreaming through ISPs, folks simply use a VPN and life continues.

Anyways, I still want to know how all these infringement thing doesn't affect CTL

Not just CTL, CMTV and Metro Digital. One thing that's common among these 3 is that they only operate in Niger Delta states and the east. Even HITV that pursued viewing centres looked the other way.

Another question is why do they not expand beyond that region when they have all it takes to run DSTV out of the park?
Re: TSTV In Trouble? by okomogo(m): 12:18am On Oct 04, 2017
Fellow Nigerians, this purported letter above is fake and was cooked by a Nigerian that has never been to the Gulf. No company in GCC have a plain English letter headed paper, it's always on English and Arabic, Bein sports can not receive a letter yesterday and today it's reply is has already been received, Bein sports is being aired by both CTL and Metro digital for more than 8 years now and nothing has happened. In Epl right acquisition language is very important factor, Dstv cannot air matches in Arabic around Mena where Bein sports acquired such right but they can air it in English language coz Bein sports had Arabic monopoly right there, same applies to English speaking country.

2 Likes

Re: TSTV In Trouble? by alt3r3g0: 12:22am On Oct 04, 2017
okomogo:
Fellow Nigerians, this purported letter above is fake and was cooked by a Nigerian that has never been to the Gulf. No company in GCC have a plain English letter headed paper, it's always on English and Arabic, Bein sports can not receive a letter yesterday and today it's reply is has already been received, Bein sports is being aired by both CTL and Metro digital for more than 8 years now and nothing has happened. In Epl right acquisition language is very important factor, Dstv cannot air matches in Arabic around Mena where Bein sports acquired such right but they can air it in English language coz Bein sports had Arabic monopoly right there, same applies to English speaking country.

Maybe TSTV don come spoil market. Anyways let TSTV start working and put all these theories to rest once and for all. We need healthy competition which is good for the comsumers.
Re: TSTV In Trouble? by joyandfaith: 6:23am On Oct 04, 2017
no trouble anywhere

Re: TSTV In Trouble? by refreshrate: 11:15am On Oct 04, 2017
joyandfaith:
no trouble anywhere

alt3r3g0 you mentioned me.

Hope this answers your naysayers mentality?

(1) (Reply)

Omg! No One Informed Me To Chat With Rmd / Movie Script For Sale / Majid Michel, Belinda Effah To Star In “the Refugees”!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.