Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,957 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

How Best To Install Water Supply In A Duplex Building - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Best To Install Water Supply In A Duplex Building (3885 Views)

6 Bedroom Duplex Building Plan / Distress! An Uncompleted Duplex Building - Silverpoint Estate, Ajah / 6 Tips To Estimate The Cost Of Building A Duplex In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Best To Install Water Supply In A Duplex Building by landt: 10:21am On Oct 04, 2017
Professional Plumbers in the house, please i need your advice. I am about to do the water supply installation of my building and this argument arose between me and my plumber. I am much concerned about the pressure at which the water will discharge from taps and showers most especially in the first floor (ground floor is not much of a problem).

The plan is to put the tank on top of the house and then run the supply pipes from the tanks to various point of use in the house. The question now is

1. Should the pipe run to the ground floor first before returning back to the first floor or the supply should run through the roofing and discharge into various point of use as regards to the first floor?

2. Is there any other way to achieve a good pressure in the house assuming all outlets are opened at the same time?

3. Which one is better - to put the tank on top of the house or to construct a separate water tank stand (Advantage and disadvantages in terms of cost and maintenance)?

4. What are the various sizes of pipe to be used to achieve maximum pressure.

Note: The house is over 28 feet from ground floor.

Your candid opinion will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Re: How Best To Install Water Supply In A Duplex Building by rotecch77(m): 5:47am On Oct 05, 2017
This is my little help or suggestions to your questions based on my experience in build industry

Ans (1) let your water connection run from the tanks at the upper area of the building and distribute it to each area of the building inside the ceiling,then from the ceiling down to the ground floor to serve each point there. If it's blocks of flats let one tank serve down flats and the second tank serve the upper floor.
The upper tanks pipes will be layed in the roof while the down apartment water supply should come straight down from the tank and supply each area on the grund floor of the building.

Ans (2)you can achieve good water pressure by enlarge the outlet of you tank to 11/4 or 11/2" diameter bigger pipe against the 1" pipe size that used to be there.then connect it to each point of the toilet or kitchen with reducer fitting of 3/4"

More so you can raise the height of the tank if it's on the slab on top of you building you can add about two more course of block and place your tank

Further more if you have very good piping work there in your building you can use water pressure pump.

Ans(3) you can use any of the two system either to place the tank on slab on your building or separate scaffold.
But disadvantage of placing your tank on the slab is that
*If your slab is not have characteristics of good slab, water will penetrate into it and course dampness and dampress cam lead to collapse of the slab with the weight of the water +tank. In furute
*Algea will develop there

* defect of paint will occur there.

Advantage
*Cost reduction.

SCAFFOLD
*More costly to erect.
*It will occupy some space
*it substandard pipe are not use it can collapse.
Advantage
* it's possible to achieve any height you want your tank to be.
* it can take any size of tank.

Ans 4) various sizes of supply water pipe are 25mm, 50mm 75mm depends on your building, bungalow, medium high riise building, high riise building, sky scraper.

You can reach us for more explanation.

Check my signature

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Best To Install Water Supply In A Duplex Building by landt: 10:03pm On Oct 10, 2017
rotecch77:
This is my little help or suggestions to your questions based on my experience in building technology field.

Ans (1) let your water connection run from the tanks at the upper area of the building and distribute it to each area of the building inside the ceiling,then from the ceiling down to the ground floor to serve each point there. If it's blocks of flats let one tank serve down flats and the second tank serve the upper floor.
The upper tanks pipes will be layed in the roof while the down apartment water supply should come straight down from the tank and supply each area on the grund floor of the building.

Ans (2)you can achieve good water pressure by enlarge the outlet of you tank to 11/4 or 11/2" diameter bigger pipe against the 1" pipe size that used to be there.then connect it to each point of the toilet or kitchen with reducer fitting of 3/4"

More so you can raise the height of the tank if it's on the slab on top of you building you can add about two more course of block and place your tank

Further more if you have very good piping work there in your building you can use water pressure pump.

Ans(3) you can use any of the two system either to place the tank on slab on your building or separate scaffold.
*If your slab is not have characteristics of good slab, water will penetrate into it and course dampness and dampress cam lead to collapse of the slab with the weight of the water +tank. In furute

Advantage
*Cost reduction.

SCAFFOLD
*More costly to erect.
Advantage

Ans 4) various sizes of supply water pipe are 25mm, 50mm 75mm depends on your building, bungalow, medium high riise building, high riise building, sky scraper.

Check my signature

Thanks so much for the information. i think you have done justice to all my questions. If i am to use pressure booster pump, is there any particular one you can recommend?
Re: How Best To Install Water Supply In A Duplex Building by adebaxton(m): 3:33pm On Oct 12, 2017
Seconded.
rotecch77:
This is my little help or suggestions to your questions based on my experience in building technology field.

Advantage
*Cost reduction.

SCAFFOLD
*More costly to erect.
Advantage

Check my signature

Re: How Best To Install Water Supply In A Duplex Building by adebaxton(m): 3:35pm On Oct 12, 2017
landt:

Thanks so much for the information. i think you have done justice to all my questions. If i am to use pressure booster pump, is there any particular one you can recommend?
i doubt you need it if you follow: let your water connection run from the tanks at the upper area of the building and distribute it to each area of the building inside the ceiling,then from the ceiling down to the ground floor to serve each point there.
Re: How Best To Install Water Supply In A Duplex Building by landt: 6:42pm On Oct 12, 2017
adebaxton:

i doubt you need it if you follow: let your water connection run from the tanks at the upper area of the building and distribute it to each area of the building inside the ceiling,then from the ceiling down to the ground floor to serve each point there.

i don't understand your post. Can you shed more light or be more elaborate?
Re: How Best To Install Water Supply In A Duplex Building by handsespen: 4:56pm On Jul 31, 2018
An Assessment of the Domestic Water Supply Situation in Old Karu Area of Abuja

Water supply and its associated terms are often confused in various quarters.According to Hayes, et al., (1989), water supply is the provision by public utilities, commercial organizations, communities endeavors or by individuals, usually by system of pumps and pipes...

http://www.scharticles.com/an-assessment-of-the-domestic-water-supply-situation/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

»»» Hotel Of 35 Rooms For Sale @ N190M Negotiable ««« / The Painting Of An Ajangbadi Block Of Flats / To Let / For Sale Abule Egba Axis.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.