Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,779 members, 7,810,033 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

How To Handle Job Rejection - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Handle Job Rejection (4815 Views)

How I Rose From Rejection To Pinnacle Of Impact—celebrity Carpenter, Moses / How To Handle Job Loss And Find A New Job / Man Sets Himself Ablaze In Gombe Over Buhari's Rejection Of Peace Corps Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Handle Job Rejection by careernaija: 10:56am On Oct 05, 2017
In this article, we are going to looking into the aspect of Rejection and we will share with you expert tips on how to cope and well manage job search rejection and related issues. Please stay tuned and we hope you find it interesting and educating.

At one point in time of our lives, we have suffered rejection. Whether job searching or dating, we have all faced rejection. People that are supposed to be there for us have also at some point rejected us. How do we face this? How can we move on, when it appears as if the world is against us? Not to worry, our expect share insight on how we can move on and recover from rejection. Rejection can lead to depression as being jilted by a lover. Rejection has a psychological effect that if not well manage can lead to other problems such as low self esteem, rejection can also affect the confidence level of whoever is involved.

Your CV/Resume is well prepared, you have got the required skills plus the fact that you have a high negotiating or bargaining skill level, you can still suffer job rejection. There are so many factors that could lead to rejection in our job hunt usually these factors are outside our control. The key to success as our expert will be sharing with you in this article will be anchored up how you able to manage the experience and avoiding getting depressed.

Dealing with Job Rejection can be a tough, especially when you serially encounter steady stream of rejection over time or when it’s a job you really need like the other day. Our expert will try to make process of overcoming job rejection a seamless one. Here are tip to handle job rejection:

Always go in with your plan B

You should also have a plan B, an alternate plan should you be rejected. You need something to fall back on when your moves fails. So the big question is what is your Plan B. You can go ahead and share your thought in the comment section.

Are you Prepared
You remember the Boy Scout motto: “Be Prepared”, that’s just it. You have to be prepared. You have to see it coming. It’s something you have to anticipate. As much as you be optimistic, you have to anticipate been rejected. The best thing then is to be prepared for it. You can never go wrong when you are prepared. Then next thing on your mind would be, how then do I get prepared? Getting prepared is to see it coming, it has happen to some of your friend, so you can talk to them about it, listen to them, know how they feel moving forward. There is a new trend, it’s the employability skills training. You get the demo, when you attend mock interview and test. A good strategy for honing your job search skills is to attend training, read and research online. Attend the upcoming Employability Skills Training organized by Careernaija HR Expert.

Avoid getting your Needs Met through Interviews
You cannot afford to lay all your eggs in one basket, if you do that with job search, you will be putting a lot of pressure on yourself. As much as you need the job badly, you don’t have to appear desperate. You don’t make emotional appeals or come off as being desperate. You only have to show and give your prospective employer tangible and solid real reasons why they should hire you instead. Employers would always hire an asset over someone they perceived as been or becoming a liability to the company.

Ask for Feedback
Some employers can be laid back sharing solid feedback if you don’t get the job, but there is no harm asking for a constructive feedback from your prospective employer. While it seems awkward to ask for feedback from interviewers, a good strategy for honing your jobs search and interview skills is to get an honest assessment of your performance. Ask them for what they felt your weakness and strength were in the interview, so you can work on them for future interviews.

Don’t Blame Yourself
As part of dealing with rejections, you don’t have to come too hard on yourself on your bid to Land Your Dream Job. You are not all responsible for what went down during the interview process, and that the truth. There are so many other factors beyond your control that could have led to the rejection. There might be some sort of attachment, a situation where the employers feels they can relate with one candidate better than the other, or any number of thousand small thing that can lead to getting rejected. That’s not the end of the World or your World, you have got to move on. You must the reality that Life isn’t perfect and we don’t always get what we want. Also you must understand that you are not alone, many other candidate also turned up for the Job.

Always Remain Professional
However the process goes down, remember that you have to keep it professional. It’s not a time to playing the blame game. It’s not the time to start comparing or whining. You focus should be how to move on and get better when next you are been called upon. You don’t use job interview as a yardstick to measure your professional worth. So many things that are complicated and the hiring process differ from one company to the other. Don’t take things personally, just because you didn’t make it this time around doesn’t mean you are not qualified for the job.

More importantly than not taking your rejection out on yourself is not taking it out on others. Don’t get defensive with the interviewer, or turn to social media to give bad review to the employer that just turned you down.

Focus on the Bright Side
Everyone has once suffered rejection in the past. But those that really move on to becoming successful are those that have chose to dwell on the bright side of things. Instead of focusing on rejection, try to shift to the moments when you have succeeded and when your expectations and desires were met. Being optimistic is remembering those positive outcomes that will help to release the feel good hormones and boost your moral. Remember that your life has just begun and the better side of your life is yet to come. Dwell on your strength and identify opportunities that you are passionate about, and that passion will show through in interviews.

Wrap Up
Job Hunting can be an excruciating and demoralizing experience, this is as a result of troubled labour market and the overabundance of qualified candidates competing for the same job.

As rightly said, we have all suffered rejection at one point in life or the other. Those that move on to success are those that were able handle the rejections that come their way, even when it comes to Job rejection. We hope you find this piece as useful as it has promised. The next article will talk about where else to turn to and continue your job search after been rejected

Source: Careenaija Recruiter

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by Babiboy: 12:58pm On Aug 30, 2023
Lol
Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by 9jvirgin(m): 12:58pm On Aug 30, 2023
It is only in Nigeria that job rejection can cause you psychological and emotional harm.

In my 8 years in the United States. I have worked in 10 big companies. I just change jobs when the pay is good and God's glory is sitting on my bank account smiley

Meanwhile, I have traversed the entire Victoria Island looking for jobs and was turned down only to end up working at Association of Friends in Maryland as a bar tender in those days.

In all you do in life, please try and experience America.

16 Likes

Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by ebner70(m): 12:58pm On Aug 30, 2023
What a good read
Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by Ulomma089(m): 12:59pm On Aug 30, 2023
Omo that is huge
Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by Chimezie198(m): 1:00pm On Aug 30, 2023
Na to carry 2by2 dey go job interviews now.. either you give me employment letter immediately or you go collect.

The violence taketh it by force

5 Likes

Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by MorolayoVictor(m): 1:01pm On Aug 30, 2023
Okay
Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by marvellous2222: 1:19pm On Aug 30, 2023
If you come across better connection you don't need to pass through all this issue
Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by oneolajire(m): 1:44pm On Aug 30, 2023
HRs and recruiters pls keep shut.

Stop making mockery of job seekers just because our leaders destroyed several companies and prevented meaningful ones to stay with their bad policies and corruption.

Nig was once a place where people don't write CV to get jobs as they graduate.

You people are always happy to interview 10000 people for just one position, while you keep mocking others.

Rubbish dot com

10 Likes

Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by Emma1Oj(m): 2:28pm On Aug 30, 2023
Hisss. I received one job rejection yesterday around few minutes passed 8pm. I jus know something good is coming. I jus delete am. Life goes on.

2 Likes

Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by phemmyfour: 2:41pm On Aug 30, 2023
9jvirgin:
It is only in Nigeria that job rejection can cause you psychological and emotional harm.

In my 8 years in the United States. I have worked in 10 big companies. I just change jobs when the pay is good and God's glory is sitting on my bank account smiley

Meanwhile, I have traversed the entire Victoria Island looking for jobs and was turned down only to end up working at Association of Friends in Maryland as a bar tender in those days.

Not just America, generally in western Europe . When the unemployment rate is low, job rejection will be low as well.

Most of job rejection in Nigeria is due to surplus to requirement.
E.g. Application received: 100
Vacant position: 5

Probability of getting picked: 5%

2 Likes

Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 30, 2023
It happend to me today.Have been indoors since.. not willing to talk to anyone.pls someone should help me with data
Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by nakoks(m): 3:42pm On Aug 30, 2023
Helper1000:
It happend to me today.Have been indoors since.. not willing to talk to anyone.pls someone should help me with data
Data to do what kwanu?
Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by BItt: 4:48pm On Aug 30, 2023
9jvirgin:

been out of job and getting all sorts of rejection is frustrating.
I was offered a job as a bartender but the pay was so low, that only wasn't the issue. While I was there at that bar still listening to the manager, an incident happened between one waiter and the guest.

I suppose the guest is one small yahoo boy wey just collect. I don't know what happened between the two of them sha. The dude hit the waiter and that waiter did not let him go without dishing him good heavy punches.
Twas quite a drama.
Nevertheless I turned the job down. How were you able to cope being a bartender
Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by Messileo10000: 5:13pm On Aug 30, 2023
nakoks:

Data to do what kwanu?

Help me ask o abeg grin grin

1 Like

Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by omojeesu(m): 6:58pm On Aug 30, 2023
*The story of the Fishing Hook & the Fishing Net* is the story of the salary / shop business / service business & NETwork Marketing.

It is about having a *system or platform* that is *strong, sustainable and reliable* & *workable practical & flexible strategies*.

It is not just about *effectiveness* (just making money) but more about *efficiency* (how smaller input produces great results creating wealth)
Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by professore(m): 7:04pm On Aug 30, 2023
9jvirgin:

Did you use your naija certificate or had to go to American school? grin
Re: How To Handle Job Rejection by Nobody: 7:45am On Aug 31, 2023
nakoks:

Data to do what kwanu?
I don't understand.. to operate my phone

(1) (Reply)

For Those In The Civil Service (tertiary Institutions) / Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum / Is CPA Recognised In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.