Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,424 members, 7,815,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

Learn How To Start An Online Store In Nigeria- FREE!!! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Learn How To Start An Online Store In Nigeria- FREE!!! (1119 Views)

How To Open Lesotho Paypal Account In Nigeria Free / How To Start An Online Store In Nigeria And Make Your First Million Naira / How To Start Pure Water Business In Nigeria(free Report) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learn How To Start An Online Store In Nigeria- FREE!!! by Temitope2000: 8:56am On Oct 07, 2017
[center]HOW TO START AN ONLINE STORE IN NIGERIA[/center]
http://smenigeria.info/2017/09/step-by-step-guide-to-start-an-online-store-in-nigeria/

You may have heard something about selling online generally, or setting up an online store. Well, some are true, some others aren’t. Almost everyone of us have at one time or the other dreamt about just resting at home while money keeps pouring into our bank accounts. As an entrpreneur, one should never ever rest on one’s oars. Even if your business is doing great currently, it can definitely do better, unless of course you are one of those not interested in making money. I can categorically tell you that I don’t know of any, do you? Thought as much.

The Nigerian Online Retail Store Business is one of the fastest growing business opportunities you can find at the moment in Nigeria. The results of a recent study done by one of Nigeria’s foremost management companies, Philips consulting, revealed that Nigerians spend over than N1.3 billion monthly on online shopping with Jumia enjoying 38% of the market and Konga coming a close second with 26% among others including dealdey, Olx and Kaymu.

Starting an online store today has become simpler than ever before. Anyone with a computer or even a smart phone can get started within a couple of minutes and you don’t even need any super power skills. You don’t have to be a programmer to start a successful online store. And more importantly, you can sell anything and everything, so far it’s not contraband anyways. As long as you have a personal product that people really want, or some awesome ideas about how to sell useful, original products that other people are making, you’ll always be able to improve your revenue stream thanks to the online retail industry. You don’t even need a personal website. Did I also tell you that you don’t need to have a product you made yourself in order to sell? So, I just did. You can take other people’s product and sell them for commission. There are intermediaries that facilitate that for you. The likes of Amazon, ebay, Jumia and Konga are just a few of the more prominent names in this area-enter affiliate marketing. Service providers are not left out in this either. You can create an online office to showcase the services you offer, whether you are a Caterer, or an interior decorator. This will enable you to project yourself to a whole new category of audience. It also helps to move you higher in the credibility rankings. In case you are interested in starting your own personal online store, and I do recommend that especially if you are a a creative type; fashion designers, artists, and the likes, this next section is for you. You could even be a farmer with farm produce to market, or maybe you just wish to start your own online supermarket.

The following are just a couple of products/services you could consider selling online:

E-books
Clothings
Shoes
Toys
Paintings and other artworks
Old Household Scraps
Furniture
Electrical appliances
Mobile gadgets such as Phones, Tablets
Other home appliances
Catering
Event planning

By following the steps below, you can have your own online store up and running within minutes of reading this blog. I’m not just going to be giving you blind directions. These are tried and trusted steps that have worked for others, and they can work for you too. You can setup your online store with WordPress in 45 minutes or less by simply following the directions in this tutorial.

Six (6) things you will learn:

Choosing a product to sell
Choosing a flexible online store platform
How to Register a free Domain Name and web hsting account
How to Install WordPress
How to Create a WooCommerce store
How to Add Products in your Online Store

Step 1: Choosing the products to sell:

Obviously, if you have decided that you want to launch an online store, the first thing that should come to your mind is determining what and what to place on your virtual shelfs…logical right? If you are responsible for creating those products yourself, then fine. All you have to do is create a couple of your products in advance, as far as your resources will allow. However, if you are going to be selling other people’s products, then it’s a good idea to carry out a background check on which products are available for you to sell. It’s better to go with products that people will actually be interested in, rather than a product with little obvious usability just because of the eye watering profit margin involved. Try to strike a balance between your long and short term profitability. Turnover is the basis of most successful small businesses. You can scale your investments according to your targets. This will ensure that you don’t end up being out of cash just because you placed all your eggs in the wrong basket.

Step 2: Choosing a flexible Online Store Platform

There are two popular e-Commerce platforms that I recommend: Shopify or WordPress + WooCommerce. Shopify is a fully hosted e-Commerce solution that starts at $29 / month. It’s a hassle-free solution where you just login and start selling just like you would open a gmail address. The downside to Shopify is that it gets quite expensive, and your payment options are limited unless you pay additional fees. Also the package is not easily customizable as you are kinda stuck with features that ship with the platform

This is why most users choose WordPress + WooCommerce because of the flexibility it offers. Even though it requires a more technical setup, it’s well worth the hassle at the end of the day. WooCommerce is the world’s largest eCommerce platform. Woocommerce currently runs on is 22,097,921 online stores and counting globally.

guide to setting up online store in Nigeria

Impressive right?

In this tutorial, we will concern ourselves with how to setup an online store in WordPress using WooCommerce. To setup your store, you need to have a domain name, web hosting, and a SSL certificate.

A domain name is your website’s address on the internet. It is what users will type in their browsers to reach your website (for example: google.com or smenigeria.info). Web hosting is where your website files are stored on the internet. It’s your website’s residence on the internet. Every website on the internet is being served from a web host.

SSL certificate adds a special layer of security on your website. It enables you to safely accept sensitive information such as credit card numbers and other personal information. This is a prerequisite condition which you must satisfy for you to accept credit card payments on your website.

Normally a domain name costs around N4000 per year, while serious web hosting can be procured for about N1000 per month, and SSL certificate can cost upwards of around N56000 in a year. Thankfully, domainking, one of the most prominent web hosting comapanies in Nigeria offers users a free domain name and a discount on web hosting when you subscribe for their hosting plans. You can get all this starting from just N3000 per year.

Let’s go ahead and purchase your domain + hosting + SSL. Simply choose a web hosting package of your choice and then choose a domain name that you like and is available (nobody is already using it).
You can pay with your Nigerian Debit card or at the bank. It doesn’t matter either way. After payment you will recieve a confirmatory email containing your login details on domainking. The next step is to setup your WordPress site and then your online store

Step 3. Setting up WordPress

WordPress installation on domainking is a breeze, and its free! WooCommerce installlation also follows the same pattern.

Watch out for part 2:
Re: Learn How To Start An Online Store In Nigeria- FREE!!! by ghettowriter(m): 9:01am On Oct 07, 2017
Brilliant & Informative! :following.
Re: Learn How To Start An Online Store In Nigeria- FREE!!! by Temitope2000: 8:58am On Oct 09, 2017
Thanks for the complement @ghettowriter. I'm compiling the next part of this walkthrough. I want to include screenshots too, so that it'd be easier for anybody amd everybody to follow along nicely....

1 Like

Re: Learn How To Start An Online Store In Nigeria- FREE!!! by Temitope2000: 3:42am On Nov 07, 2017
Step 2. Setting up WordPress

In this tutorial we'll continue with setting up both Wordpress and WooCommerce for your online store. This is a sequel to our previous post step by step guide to start online store in Nigeria 2017. In case you missed that post, I advise you to go back and check out the contents before cooming here, or you may choose to continue..it's your choice really. Wordpress installation on domainking is a breeze, and its free! Similarly, WooCommerce installlation follows the same pattern-easy peasy!.
The screenshots that go with this tutorial have been added in form of a zip file at the end. Hope they make things clearer.

WooCommerce comes as a Wordpress plugin that needs to be installed on your Wordpress-run site. To install, simply navigate to the plugin page from your Wordpress dashboard by clicking on "Add new" sub menu on the "Plugins" link, which is found on the left sidebar. This takes you to the Wordpress plugins directory. Type WooCommerce into the search bar, and click on the install button. Click on the "activate" button and voila, you're LIVE!

First, you need to visit Settings » General page to setup your WordPress site title and description.

Setting up HTTPS to Use SSL

You are going to need a SSL Certificate in order to complete this process. You can easily add this option to your current hosting account, if you didn't already select it as an add-on during checkout for your hosting plan. The price of a domain SSL currently ranges from somewhere around N6000 to as high as N300000 for Symantec SSLs. In case you don't mind hosting with a foreign webhost, 1and1.com provides excellent hosting plans that are affordable, as well as domain registration. If you order their basic plan, it comes with a free .COM domain name as well as free SSL certificate for one year. All this you can get for just $10...yeah I know, its awesome!

Activating your SSL certificate shouldn't be a problem, and in case you need help, you can always contact Cutomer Support for assistance. The next step is to configure your WordPress site, so it loads as https rather than http.

On the Settings » General page, you need to change your WordPress Address and Site Address to use https instead of http.

Don’t forget to scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the save changes button to store your settings.

Your basic WordPress setup is now complete.Up next is time to setup your online store!.

Step 3. Setting up Your WooCommerce Store

Before you can start selling, there are a few things like currency, payments, and shipping information that you need to set up.

You will be seeing a ‘Welcome to WooCommerce’ notification on your WordPress admin pages. Go ahead and click on the ‘Run setup wizard’ button in the notification.

This will launch the WooCommerce setup wizard where you need to click on the ‘Let’s go’ button to get started.

WooCommerce needs few essential pages for cart, account, shop, and checkout. Click on the continue button to automatically create these pages.

This will take us to the next step-you will need to tell WooCommerce where your store is located and which currency and unit of measurement to use.

After selecting your location and currency, click on the continue button to move on.

Next, you need to enter some minor shipping information.

Click on the continue button to move on.

Next, you will be asked to choose a payment method for your online store.

By default, WooCommerce comes with support for PayPal, PayPal Standard, and Stripe payment gateways. There are many other payment methods available for WooCommerce which you can install later if you need.

Currently, Paypal is not a valid payment option for Nigerian merchants. This is because Nigerian domiciled Paypal accounts can only be used to make payments at the time of writing this post, and not to receive payments. Nevertheless, there are several other payment gateway options available to you as a Nigerian Merchant.

After completing this setup, your WooCommerce online store is all setup.

Congratulations! you just completed the setup wizard. You can now proudly go ahead and tweet to your friends about your shiny brand new store.

After finishing the WooCommerce setup, you are now ready to add products to your online store.

Step 4. Adding Products to Your Online Store

We are now going to be adding the first product to your online store. You may choose to proceed directly from the previous screen by clicking the "create your first product tab". Otherwise, you can also acheive the same purpose by clicking Visit Products » Add New page to add a new product.

First, provide a title for your product and then some detailed description. The latest version WooCommerce provide intuitive guides to set up your new products, from giving it a name to setting a price.

On the right hand column, you will see the ‘Product Categories’ box. Click on the ‘+Add New Product Category’ to create a category for this product. This allows you and your customers to sort and browse products easily.

Scroll down a little and you will notice the Product Data box. This is where you will provide product related information like pricing, inventory, shipping etc.

Below product data box, you will see a box to add product short description. This short description will be used when users are viewing multiple products on a page.

Finally, on your right hand column you will see boxes to add a main product image and a product gallery.

Once you are satisfied with all the product information you have added, you can click on the Publish button to make it go live on your website.

You can repeat the process to add more products as needed.

I hope you've found this post useful. If that is the case, please feel free to like, share, and of course drop your comments! If you have some experince about the topic, please contribute as much as you can. No man is an island of knowledge. See you later...
I'm currently working on a tutorial about how you can easily customize your theme to make it unique among all the Woocommerce sites on the planet. Keep tuned in....

NB
This post is a sequel to our previous post step by step guide to start online store in Nigeria 2017.
God bless us all!!!!!!!!!
Re: Learn How To Start An Online Store In Nigeria- FREE!!! by Temitope2000: 3:52am On Nov 07, 2017
This is the link to the screenshots rar file: https://www.4shared.com/rar/Uo8qWFjEca/woocommerce-tutorial.html
Re: Learn How To Start An Online Store In Nigeria- FREE!!! by Jaxx123: 2:59pm On May 13, 2021
YOU WANT CONTINOUS SALE AND PASSIVE INCOME OVER THAT YOUR BUSINESS? PLEASE BUILD GOOD LEAD LIST

To be candid, I never thought u were legit cos of scammers everywhere

The above statement is what I received this morning from one of my subscriber from marketing funnel list.

Hey, can you help me promote this cream I made it my self? she asked

Yes of course, we can help you automate it using online digital lead.

We set up the funnel and the whole process, boom! after few days’ success she desire keep coming.

Let me tell you this if u have any business you are running.

If u place ad or Facebook, Google ad or any platform and all you are doing is directing visitor to your landing page .

You are missing enough!!!

Let me tell you.

IMAGING, over 1,000 people visited your website and they all left within 20 seconds without buying or take any good action.
Do you know, it is not good enough?

READ THIS They don’t buy your offer did not mean they don’t need your offer.

-They don't buy because
-They are not convince enough
-They don't have your fee

-They don't trust you and your offer as well.

THIS IS WHERE YOU NEED THIS DIGITAL MAGIC CALLED LEAD MAGENTIC PAGE SET UP

If you build good lead magnetic capture page in the beginning, those 1000 visitor are already yours automatically.

THIS IS THE MOST SIMPLE FUNNEL TO USE AND FOLLOW

AD+LEAP CAPTURE PAGE+SALE PAGE=LIST
AD+LEAP CAPTURE PAGE+SALE PAGE+EMAIL SWIPE=SUCCESS

It mean you can automated following up those 1,000 people with your email or Whatsapp swipe even when you are not there for 5,7,10days

DON’T JUST SET UP EMAIL LEAD BUT ALSO WHATSAPP LEAD AS WELL.

This is one of the winning funnel till day that convert well.

Don’t ignore the process

Because the outcome is awesome.

No Product Is Old but Our Marketing Style Does

For any business marketing boosting and promotion guide

WEBHOUSE LAB
HOLLA ME ON
Webhousemax2020@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

I Wanna Buy A Manual Sewing Machine....... / N2.5m Fake Credit Alert: Diamond Bank, Customer Know Fate Feb. 5 / Breaking!!! $1 Is Now Equals To #182

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.