Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,645 members, 7,813,164 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:06 AM

Things I'm Learning Fast About Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Things I'm Learning Fast About Business (898 Views)

All You Need To Know About Business Plan In Nigeria / Any Update About Business Executive International,abeokuta / Things I'm Learning Fast About Business: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things I'm Learning Fast About Business by Henitan24(f): 2:31pm On Oct 07, 2017
1. Your client should never be your friend. And your friend should never be your client. Money wrecks Good Relationships. If you cherish the friendship, do the job for free.

2. Don't be too nice and considerate about charging your fees. The person paying you will not be nice and considerate to you if you don't do the job or if you do a bad job.

3. Completely remove emotions and religion when charging your fees. It's either they can afford you or they cannot. From my experience, clients who think you're unaffordable usually spend more money on even more useless things. It's really not about Affordability but Value.

4. Never agree to be paid later, unless the proceeds will be coming into your account FIRST. Otherwise, if the money goes directly into your client's account, he or she may no longer pick your calls.

Money reveals the worst in the best among us.

Caveat: An exception may be created for clients who once offered voluntary financial assistance. We must remember those who showed up in our darkest hour.

5. When it comes to business and money, promises means nothing to Nigerians. They'd promise anything just to get rid of you. Promises won't pay your bills.

6. Naturally, humans do not like parting with their money to someone else. But you can make it easy for them BY NOT DOING THEIR JOB OR BY WATCHING THEM SUFFER.

Survival always makes people give up money. From my experience, clients in police custody hardly negotiate fees.

7.Any man with too much conscience would forever remain poor. People (men and women without conscience) will take unfair advantage of you (with too much conscience).

©Olakunle Allison

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things I'm Learning Fast About Business by HegenIkomkeh(m): 9:40pm On Oct 19, 2017
Nice write up.
Re: Things I'm Learning Fast About Business by hanassholesolo: 10:09pm On Oct 19, 2017
Henitan24:
1. Your client should never be your friend. And your friend should never be your client. Money wrecks Good Relationships. If you cherish the friendship, do the job for free.

If your friend can't see that you're into business to make money, then he/she is not really a friend.

2 Likes

Re: Things I'm Learning Fast About Business by hanassholesolo: 10:11pm On Oct 19, 2017
Henitan24:

7.Any man with too much conscience would forever remain poor. People (men and women without conscience) will take unfair advantage of you (with too much conscience).

©Olakunle Allison

cool cool
Re: Things I'm Learning Fast About Business by RuggedSniper: 11:19am On Nov 08, 2017
Henitan24:

2. Don't be too nice and considerate about charging your fees. The person paying you will not be nice and considerate to you if you don't do the job or if you do a bad job.

3. Completely remove emotions and religion when charging your fees. It's either they can afford you or they cannot. From my experience, clients who think you're unaffordable usually spend more money on even more useless things. It's really not about Affordability but Value.

4. Never agree to be paid later, unless the proceeds will be coming into your account FIRST. Otherwise, if the money goes directly into your client's account, he or she may no longer pick your calls.

Caveat: An exception may be created for clients who once offered voluntary financial assistance. We must remember those who showed up in our darkest hour.

5. When it comes to business and money, promises means nothing to Nigerians. They'd promise anything just to get rid of you. Promises won't pay your bills.

6. Naturally, humans do not like parting with their money to someone else. But you can make it easy for them BY NOT DOING THEIR JOB OR BY WATCHING THEM SUFFER.

Survival always makes people give up money. From my experience, clients in police custody hardly negotiate fees.

©Olakunle Allison
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
Brilliant post..!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things I'm Learning Fast About Business by eezeribe(m): 2:39pm On Nov 08, 2017
First time I am seeing an 'intelligent' post by a female Nairalander...
Op,more power to your elbow (I don't care if it's original or copied)
Even if it's copied,at least you are intelligent enough to identify and copy an 'intelligent' write up;unlike most other females here.
Re: Things I'm Learning Fast About Business by Nobody: 1:36pm On Nov 10, 2017
Henitan24:

©Olakunle Allison

Wow! I learnt one or two things from this post. Nice one pretty.
Re: Things I'm Learning Fast About Business by All4good: 4:26pm On Nov 10, 2017
Nice guidelines Henitan24
I would like to add a couple more from my personal experience.

1. You don't want to test the depth of a river with both feet. This simply means that you shouldn't start with a business that can consume all of the funds you have at hand.
2. Every business is risky, that is the reason you are entitled to a profit. The higher the risk the higher the return on investment (ROI)
3 . At the beginning of every business, there are so many unknown, but the longer you last in a particular business the fewer the unknown become. This is the place of experience. Unknown can be existence of community (or Alaye) fees, which if not paid may result to seizure of goods. Or could be the existence of government prohibition laws which may lead to legal sanctions.
My advice to any newbie is to enter the business world via Agency business. Look for a reputable organization that you can attach to as distributor or agent. This way you can shield yourself from the many unknown I earlier talked about and even take advantage of their existing marketing /advertising campaigns to expand your new business.
If I knew this 15yrs ago, I would have avoided the losses I had to insure myself.
Take a look at the thread below for a typical example of such an organization you can affiliate with. It's a popular Nigerian company. You can start with N10k and within 2 months increase your investment to N100k or N1m as your experience and financial mgt grows.

www.nairaland.com/4140107/start-very-lucrative-business-n15k
Re: Things I'm Learning Fast About Business by Henitan24(f): 5:21pm On Nov 10, 2017
All4good:
Nice guidelines Henitan24
I would like to add a couple more from my personal experience.

1. You don't want to test the depth of a river with both feet. This simply means that you shouldn't start with a business that can consume all of the funds you have at hand.
2. Every business is risky, that is the reason you are entitled to a profit. The higher the risk the higher the return on investment (ROI)
3 . At the beginning of every business, there are so many unknown, but the longer you last in a particular business the fewer the unknown become. This is the place of experience. Unknown can be existence of community (or Alaye) fees, which if not paid may result to seizure of goods. Or could be the existence of government prohibition laws which may lead to legal sanctions.
My advice to any newbie is to enter the business world via Agency business. Look for a reputable organization that you can attach to as distributor or agent. This way you can shield yourself from the many unknown I earlier talked about and even take advantage of their existing marketing /advertising campaigns to expand your new business.
If I knew this 15yrs ago, I would have avoided the losses I had to insure myself.
Take a look at the thread below for a typical example of such an organization you can affiliate with. It's a popular Nigerian company. You can start with N10k and within 2 months increase your investment to N100k or N1m as your experience and financial mgt grows.

www.nairaland.com/4140107/start-very-lucrative-business-n15k

This's beautiful as well. Nice one

(1) (Reply)

21 Facts About Dangote Refinery / Need Update About Lagos LSETF Loan For Small Businesses / Happy New Year! Steemit Business! No Investment! Power Of Teamwork

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.