Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis (727 Views)

Romans 7 : The Flesh Test - Paul Ellis / Have I Committed The Unforgivable Sin? - Paul Ellis / 3 Reasons Why I Don't Preach On Repentance ( "Turn From Sin" ) - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:22pm On Oct 07, 2017
The Bible says that we will be rewarded for what we have done. Not what we have believed, but done-diddley-done-done. So what do we have to do? In this three-part series, we’re going to look at some of the rewarded-for-what-we’ve-done scriptures, beginning with this one:

For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done. (Matt 16:27)

Forget the gospel of grace, you are rewarded for doing stuff! Better get busy for Jesus. But let scripture interpret scripture and you will see that Jesus is not promoting performance-based religion. (You knew that, right?) He’s quoting a psalm:

Surely you will reward each person according to what he has done. (Psa 62:12)

Psalm 62 is a psalm of rest, not labor. “Truly my soul finds rest in God… Yes, my soul, find rest in God” (v.1,5). Underline the doing words in this psalm and you will see that it is exhorting us to trust the Lord:

Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken… Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. (Psa 62:6)

According to David, what do we need to do to be rewarded by God? Answer: trust him, rest in him, find refuge in him. Selah.

The work that is rewarded

Here’s a fun Bible fact. When David says “you will reward each person according to what he has done” in Psalm 62 he’s referring to something God said. (See Psalm 62:11.) So in Matthew 16, Jesus is quoting David who is quoting God. Talk about being on the same page!

And just to make things really interesting Jesus is also quoting Jeremiah, who was also quoting God:

I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve. (Jer 17:10)

What deeds has Jeremiah just described in this famous chapter? What are the activities that are rewarded?

Blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him” (Jer 17:7).

Put them together and you will see that the prophet and the psalm-writer both say we are rewarded for trusting the Lord. Resting is the work that is rewarded.

But what about Jesus? What specific deeds does Jesus refer to in Matthew 16?

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.” (Matt 16:24)

Jesus is not calling us to a life of self-sacrifice. He is calling us to follow him and trust in his finished work. When you were baptized into Christ, you were baptized into his death. The person you used to be no longer lives (Gal 2:20).

What does it mean to deny self?

We live in a world that rewards the bright and the beautiful, but in the kingdom of God we are not rewarded for anything we do on our own; we are rewarded on account of Jesus. David, Jeremiah and Jesus all say the same thing:

David: Don’t trust in wealth or be envious of the rich; trust the Lord who rewards those who seek him. (Ps 62)

Jeremiah: You’re cursed if you trust yourself and your labors, but you’ll be an evergreen tree if you trust the Lord. (Jer 17)

Jesus: If you gain the whole world but lose your soul, you’ve lost everything. Follow me. (Matt 16)

To deny self is to quit trusting in your own efforts. It’s saying no to performance-based Christianity and the pitiful self-help messages of dead religion. It’s saying yes to Jesus who is your life and resting in his finished work.

And what is our reward?

Christ gives us nothing less than his very life. His abundant life – free from condemnation and the dog-eat-dog insecurities of worldly ambition – is the life we yearn for.

What’s the takeaway?

This world offers you one kind of reward – the fading, rusting kind – but Jesus offers you something better. So abandon the futile quest for self-improvement – it’s a dead-end street.

But receive Christ and his righteousness and you will reign in life like a king (Rom 5:17)!

Stay tuned for Part 2!

https://escapetoreality.org/2015/09/16/rewarded-for-deeds-matthew-16v27/#prettyPhoto

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:03pm On Oct 08, 2017
Evening
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by tartar9(m): 10:21pm On Oct 08, 2017
Confusion
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:49am On Oct 09, 2017
Morning
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:37pm On Oct 09, 2017
Hoi
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 10:41pm On Apr 08, 2018
Yooooo
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:00am On Apr 09, 2018
Hoooo
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:02pm On Jul 14, 2018
Lord Jesus is my everything
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 2:58pm On Jul 15, 2018
Lord Jesus
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:36pm On Aug 11, 2018
Thank you Jesus
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:31am On Aug 12, 2018
Yessss
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by engrj(m): 7:36am On Aug 12, 2018
Good Morning Friends.

Please Read, Donate And Repost God Bless You.

This is Mrs. Akhare Flora O. (My Mother) she's a young and ambitious woman (48yrs old), a mother of one, a staff of Ikpoba Okha Local Government Edo state Nigeria.

She was diagnosed of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) around April 2018.
It began around 2015, when she noticed excessive thirst and frequent urination she went for check up and discovered she's diabetic. She started the treatments immediately and there was a change in diet also which is the only way to fight diabetes.

Fast forward to 2017, she woke up one morning and realized that she couldn't see clearly again (blurred vision not blind). She went for an Eye check in Benin Edo state and she was told she have diabetic retinopathy so she was recommended to Eye Foundation (A Health Care for Eye treatment only not foundation) around GRA. Lagos State Nigeria.

On getting to Eye Foundation some series of test was conducted, then we discovered that her kidney has been affected. (Chronic Kidney Disease) We have no choice than to omit the treatment of the eyes and focused on the solution to the kidney disease.

So she started going for dialysis after spending two (2) weeks on admission at Lagos State teaching hospital (LASUTH). We have been going for dialysis and sometimes the dialysis do cause an infection.

NOTE: Infections acquired in dialysis units can kill, disable, hospitalize, and/or prolong illness in patients while disrupting lives and increasing the cost of treatment. Dialysis-relatedinfections can occur in many body locations including the bloodstream, bones, lungs, and skin.

After spending so much on dialysis, blood transfusions, injections to formulate the blood and buying of drugs, I decided to make a research about a lasting solutions to Chronic Kidney Disease, and also according to the Dr. Managing her, we where told that the only solution to this is to go for a transplants. And the transplant, is very expensive hence we have no choice than to beg for a funds raise to enable her live again.

Please kindly assist us with whatever you can. We are in need of all the help you can render, prayers, money or anything.

If you need any proof you can contact me +2380-6494-5586 via whatsapp video call to see her live and the condition she is. If you need any more documents to proof my story to know if its true or not i will also provide to backup my story, you can reach me on +23480-8029-0561.

This is her account details
Account name :AKHARE FLORA O.
Bank Name: First Bank.
ACCOUNT NUMBER 2009301003.
Also find below the link to her her GoFundMe account.

https://www.gofundme.com/manage/gofundmecomplease-save-a-lif

Thank you and God Bless You.

Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:23pm On Aug 12, 2018
Jesus the Messiah
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:55am On Nov 14, 2018
Yes
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 5:14pm On Nov 14, 2018
Yes....
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:25am On Jun 17, 2019
Morning
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:27pm On Jun 17, 2019
Now
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 11:39am On Jun 18, 2019
Now ...
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:46pm On Jun 18, 2019
Goooid
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 9:07pm On Jul 18, 2021
Lord Jesus
Re: Rewarded For What We Have Done? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 3:11pm On Apr 22, 2022
Afternoon

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Rasta Tribute Video (Eri wa) / Catholic Priests Are Also Flamboyant Like Pentecostal Pastors. / The Hubbub About 31st Nights: "Crossover Night"; Aka "Passover Night".

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.