Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ (31558 Views)

HP 250 G4 Corei3 4gram 1 Terabytes @ Affordable Price / Dell Inspiron 5520 Core I7 1 Terabytes 8gb Ram / Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes: Don’t Get Confused! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by exlinklodge: 9:51am On Oct 09, 2017
Computer Terminology: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes

To be sincere, many people doesn't know the differences between these storage capacities and many havn't even heard about it before, while many get so confused when dealing with the nomenclature of the memory terminology in computer world.

Lets set the words straight, shall we? Gigabytes, Terabytes and Petabytes: Which is Bigger and at what multiples?

Knowing which is bigger and which is smaller, as well as the abbreviations that represent these numbers, is probably the most helpful thing to get down. All of these computer technology storage units of measurement are based on the byte, which is the amount of storage required to store a single character of text:

An exabyte (EB) is larger than

petabyte (PB), which is larger than

terabyte (TB), which is larger than

gigabyte (GB), which is larger than

megabyte (MB), which is larger than

kilobyte (KB), which is larger than

byte (B)

Less helpful in the real world is the smaller bit (there are 8 bits in 1 byte) and the larger zettabyte and yottabyte, among some others. We won’t be sticking yottabyte size memory cards in our cameras anytime soon so consider those some impressive words to throw around at your next party.

To convert from one unit to another, just know that for every level you go up, you multiply by 1,024. Don’t worry if that’s confusing – you’ll see enough examples below that you’ll have the math down in no time.

NB: You’ll see many sources online say that each new level is 1,000 times greater than the smaller, not 1,024. While it is true in some cases, in practical terms, considering how computers use storage devices, 1,024 is the more realistic multiplier to do your calculations with.

Now on the most practical stuff…

How Many Gigabytes (GB) in a Terabyte (TB)?

There are 1,024 GB in 1 TB.
1 TB = 1,024 GB = 1,048,576 MB = 1,073,741,824 KB = 1,099,511,627,776 B.

Put another way…

A TB is 1,024 times bigger than a GB. To convert TB to GB, just take the TB number and multiply by 1,024 to get the number of GBs. To convert GB to TB, just take the GB number and divide by 1,024.

How Many Megabytes (MB) in a Gigabyte (GB)?

There are 1,024 MB in 1 GB
1 GB = 1,024 MB = 1,048,576 KB = 1,073,741,824 B.

Like in the previous example, a GB is 1,024 times bigger than a MB. To convert GB to MB, take the GB number and multiply by 1,024 to get the number of MBs. To convert MB to GB, take the MB number and divide it by 1,024.

How Big is a Terabyte?

The terabyte (TB) is the most common unit used to measure hard drive size and a number you might actually run into from time to time.

A single TB is a lot of space. It’s would take 728,177 floppy disks or 1,498 CD-ROM discs to store just 1 TB worth of information.

As of 2017, most new, average priced computer hard drives were in the 1 to 3 TB range. Many ISPs cap monthly data usage at 1 TB. The Hubble Space Telescope generates about 10 TB of new data every year. Around 130,000 digital photos would require 1 TB of space… close to 400 photos every day for a year!

IBM’s famous Watson game-playing supercomputer has 16 TB of RAM. As you saw in the GB to TB math above, 1 TB is equal to a bit more than one trillion bytes.

How Big is a Petabyte?

The petabyte (PB) is just a crazy large chunk of data but it actually comes up more and more these days.

To store a single PB would take over 745 million floppy disks or 1.5 million CD-ROM discs, clearly not an efficient way to collect a petabyte of information, but it’s fun to think about!

The movie Avatar needed about 1 PB of storage to render those graphics. It’s estimated that the human brain can store around 2.5 PB of memory data. Over 3.4 years of 24/7 Full HD video recording would be around 1 PB in size.

As of late 2016, the Wayback Machine was storing 15 PB of data! 1 PB is equivalent to over 4,000 digital photos per day, over your entire life.

A single PB is 1,024 TB… you know, that number we already established was enormous even at one! In yet a more impressive view, 1 PB is equal to over 1 quadrillion bytes!

How Big is an Exabyte?

Talking about even a single EB seems a bit crazy but there are situations where the world really does run into this level of data. Yes, it’s comical, but heading back to the previous comparisons: to get to just a single EB would take 763 billion floppy disks or 1.5 billion CD-ROM discs. Can you imagine?

Some more mind-bending thoughts around exabytes:

Way back in 2010, the internet was already handling 21 EB per month. Almost 11 million movies in 4K format would fit comfortably inside a 1 EB storage device. A single EB could hold the entire Library of Congress 3,000 times over. A gram of DNA can hold 490 EB, at least in theory. Let that sink in for a minute.

Now for the math: a single EB holds 1,024 PB or 1,048,576 TB. That’s over 1 quintillion bytes! We had to look up quintillion – yes, it’s a number!

HOPE YOU GET IT NOW

more @ http://www.exlinklodge.com/2017/10/computer-terminology-differences.html

cc mynd44 dominique obinoscopy missyb3 lalasticlala

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by Benjom(m): 9:55am On Oct 09, 2017
Great... Now I know better.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by Sleekydee(m): 9:55am On Oct 09, 2017
now that's one cool asss trend. nice one op

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by inMyOpeenion(f): 9:55am On Oct 09, 2017
Op. Pls add NAIRABYTE i heard its higher that EXABYTE

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by izsmike: 10:11am On Oct 09, 2017
I guess snake-byte is the highest . Let me ask Ronaldinho

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by exlinklodge: 10:49am On Oct 09, 2017
inMyOpeenion:
Op. Pls add NAIRABYTE
i heard its higher that EXABYTE

very funny

6 Likes

Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by Sanemind(m): 11:38pm On Oct 09, 2017
izsmike:
lol...bad guy

7 Likes

Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by exlinklodge: 7:46am On Oct 10, 2017
lalasticlala mynd44
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by EniHolar(f): 12:01pm On Oct 10, 2017
DollarByte is all I need

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by MykLANNY(m): 12:01pm On Oct 10, 2017
Nairaland on fire this morning.. Keep them coming

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by iamleumas: 12:01pm On Oct 10, 2017

Please I want to buy a new phone this week, which of these will you recommend for me?

1. Gionee M5 mini
2. Huawei Y6 Pro
3. Infinix Note 4
4. Techno Camon CX Air

Thanks I'm anticipating...

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by KKKWHITE(m): 12:03pm On Oct 10, 2017
iamleumas:

Please I want to buy a new phone this week, which of these will you recommend for me?

1. Gionee M5 mini
2. Huawei Y6 Pro
3. Infinix Note 4
4. Techno Camon CX Air

Thanks I'm anticipating...
No 3

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 10, 2017
This should concern girls that post multiple picures on FB without giving oga mark any memory card
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by MrGreenMavro: 12:04pm On Oct 10, 2017
Buhabyte nkor? I know was IPod youth will say its not more than 5% of megabyte

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by muller101(m): 12:04pm On Oct 10, 2017
Op we have snake byte as well. If u doubt me confirm from lala.
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by Lakside1955(m): 12:04pm On Oct 10, 2017
I only known moneygabytes grin
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by wakes: 12:04pm On Oct 10, 2017
The digital world is getting mircrospically bigger by the day!
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by madridguy(m): 12:05pm On Oct 10, 2017
Following....
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by Hades2016(m): 12:05pm On Oct 10, 2017
Bytme nko tongue
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by yim(f): 12:05pm On Oct 10, 2017
Informative.
Kudos to the OP
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by seuncyber(m): 12:05pm On Oct 10, 2017
No internet in naija with 1 terabytes sha

Nice information
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by Epositive(m): 12:05pm On Oct 10, 2017
big byte nko tongue
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by kay29000(m): 12:05pm On Oct 10, 2017
Cool. Very informative.
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by donblade85555(m): 12:06pm On Oct 10, 2017
all I know is that all of them are of no use to you if you are using glo network

Anyway for funny jokes and riddles that will make you laugh like a mad man, visit www.laughkillme.com
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by eluquenson(m): 12:07pm On Oct 10, 2017
Thanks
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 10, 2017
izsmike:

No need to go far, lalasticlala can say something about snakes
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by Bowwow11(m): 12:08pm On Oct 10, 2017
thank for the enlightenment
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by Danny287(m): 12:08pm On Oct 10, 2017
Educative thanks for the info
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by Florblu(f): 12:08pm On Oct 10, 2017
Ok
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by Topestbilly(m): 12:09pm On Oct 10, 2017
Ok.
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by joystickextend1(m): 12:09pm On Oct 10, 2017
okay noted

Meanwhile guys check out my profile
Re: Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ by naijaisGOOD: 12:09pm On Oct 10, 2017
okay ..good one.. nice op..

for car owners ,you need this >>>> https://www.nairaland.com/4086781/offline-navigation-map-cars-reverse

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should Anyone Buy The 740,000 Naira HP Spectre X360? / What Valuable Digital Skill Can I Acquire With This Laptop? / My Windows 7 Operating System Is Fake, What Do I Do.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.