Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) (6555 Views)

A Really Short Christmas Story...lol / Short Horror Flash Fiction "We Are Here" / Re-born(a Really Really Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by crazypencils20: 10:34pm On Oct 09, 2017
There's something on top of me, I can feel it. It's warm and heavy and has a heartbeat.
My eyes are heavy as lead and try as I might, they won't open. Something pushes open the window and a gentle breeze rustles the rickety window frame. Breeze, so gentle it freaks me out, moves over my face as if it has a hand and a mind and only then am I aware of how my brows hurt from squeezing them and the beads of perspiration that dot along my forehead.

My heart is pounding furiously like my body was a cage and it wanted to be let out. My eyes are closed but I can feel something move across the room, silently, gliding as if carried by the wind. I'm struggling to move any part of my body but its unresponsive. My hands feel like they've been weighted with chains attached to wrecking balls.

Finally, he calls my name.

Cassie. Cassie. Cassie.

I say it's a he because that the closest guess to the sound I'm hearing. The voice is deep, like a rumble of thunder yet so faint it barely grazes my ear. I want to scream but my voice catches in my throat and then begins to choke me. It feels like it's something I can neither spit out nor swallow, firmly wedged in my throat, it suffocates me, depriving me of oxygen. I try to move , no response from my body at all. I feel quadriplegic and I'm dying. My mouth is snapped shut and my nose seems to breath out rather than breath in air. My head feels heavy and I can feel my eyes bulging out of their sockets.

I'm dying.

I begin to feel like I'm falling down a long, dark tunnel, the wind howling as i shoot further and further downwards.

I'm dying.

I'm drifting into unconsciousness when suddenly, my eyes snap open.

No no! He's there. He's there. In the room. I don't want to see him. No! But my eyes won't close, they stay wide open and I'm forced to look at him. He calls my name again.

CASSIE. CASSIE. CASSIE.

My heart is pounding furiously, I can feel the blood running to my fingertips and toes. He looks at me and tries to smile, he has no mouth. His face is a white mask completely devoid of eyes, nose or any other facial features and it's completely hidden under a black cloak that looks like fog. It in fact is fog. It creeps around the room, the black fog rising from the ground and swallowing everything in its path. It creeps up the bed and snakes towards me. I try to gasp. No response. My eyes are equally unresponsive. Sweat is trickling down my head now and he just stands there grinning facelessly.

CASSIE. CASSIE. CASSIE.

He calls me again and this time, dissolve into the fog that's making its way up the wall of my room. His white face has melted partly into the smoke, leaving only black holes where eyes should have been. The fog goes all the way across the ceiling and begins to come down at the head of my bed. I try to turn, to arch my head up to see where he's going but I'm immobilized. I can only wait with my eyes wide open for what's going to come.

I don't want to die. I'm thinking to myself. The black fog is at my ear now and it's like a hot flame licking at my skin.

CASSIE. CASSIE.

Finally, my mouth snaps open and the first sentence comes out in a whimper, "Leave me alone, please." I feel hot tears escape from the corner of my eyes.

CASSIE. CASS-

His words are not completed this time but are instead drowned in a furious howl that blows the window open forcefully. The black fog recoils from my bed and shoots back along the ceiling down to the other part of the room.
Finally, my hand frees up and as I move my finger, he howls as if in pain before the black cloud rolls up and shoots out of the window.

I jerk up in my bed, perspiring and panting heavily. I curse silently as I feel the warm, sticky liquid between my legs. This is why I never want to fall asleep.

He always comes back.

5 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by sevunteen(m): 7:11am On Oct 10, 2017
Great piece

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by Ayo4251(m): 7:11am On Oct 10, 2017
K
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by niqqaclaimz(m): 7:11am On Oct 10, 2017
Ok nice one
Check dis too
https://www.nairaland.com/4092389/ how to $15 hourly sitting at home
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by Hardewarlee(m): 7:11am On Oct 10, 2017
Sweet
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by Proffdada: 7:12am On Oct 10, 2017
K
night demons are real
anyone who disagree should set up a lab at a village cemetery 12am
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by ultron12345: 7:12am On Oct 10, 2017
Nigerians will say it's satanic oppression
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by IMASTEX: 7:13am On Oct 10, 2017
Nice piece
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by Nobody: 7:13am On Oct 10, 2017
embarassed nice piece
There’s more to that sleep paralysis

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by tintingz(m): 7:14am On Oct 10, 2017
Africans and religious folks will say it is an imaginary Satan or demon attacking them which is not true, this can be scientifically proven and prevented, sleep paralysis is not a paranormal attack, village witch attack or demonic.

Is Sleep Paralysis a Symptom of a Serious Problem?

Sleep researchers conclude that, in most cases, sleep paralysis is simply a sign that your body is not moving smoothly through the stages of sleep. Rarely is sleep paralysis linked to deep underlying psychiatric problems.

Over the centuries, symptoms of sleep paralysis have been described in many ways and often attributed to an "evil" presence: unseen night demons in ancient times, the old hag in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, and alien abductors. Almost every culture throughout history has had stories of shadowy evil creatures that terrify helpless humans at night. People have long sought explanations for this mysterious sleep-time paralysis and the accompanying feelings of terror.

What Is Sleep Paralysis?

Sleep paralysis is a feeling of being conscious but unable to move. It occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and sleep. During these transitions, you may be unable to move or speak for a few seconds up to a few minutes. Some people may also feel pressure or a sense of choking. Sleep paralysis may accompany other sleep disorders such as narcolepsy. Narcolepsy is an overpowering need to sleep caused by a problem with the brain's ability to regulate sleep.

When Does Sleep Paralysis Usually Occur?

Sleep paralysis usually occurs at one of two times. If it occurs while you are falling asleep, it's called hypnagogic or predormital sleep paralysis. If it happens as you are waking up, it's called hypnopompic or postdormital sleep paralysis.

What Happens With Hypnagogic Sleep Paralysis?

As you fall asleep, your body slowly relaxes. Usually you become less aware, so you do not notice the change. However, if you remain or become aware while falling asleep, you may notice that you cannot move or speak.

What Happens With Hypnopompic Sleep Paralysis?

During sleep, your body alternates between REM (rapid eye movement) and NREM (non-rapid eye movement) sleep. One cycle of REM and NREM sleep lasts about 90 minutes. NREM sleep occurs first and takes up to 75% of your overall sleep time. During NREM sleep, your body relaxes and restores itself. At the end of NREM, your sleep shifts to REM. Your eyes move quickly and dreams occur, but the rest of your body remains very relaxed. Your muscles are "turned off" during REM sleep. If you become aware before the REM cycle has finished, you may notice that you cannot move or speak.

Who Develops Sleep Paralysis?

Up to as many as four out of every 10 people may have sleep paralysis. This common condition is often first noticed in the teen years. But men and women of any age can have it. Sleep paralysis may run in families. Other factors that may be linked to sleep paralysis include:

Lack of sleep
Sleep schedule that changes
Mental conditions such as stress or bipolar disorder
Sleeping on the back
Other sleep problems such as narcolepsy or nighttime leg cramps
Use of certain medications, such as those for ADHD
Substance abuse

How Is Sleep Paralysis Treated?

Most people need no treatment for sleep paralysis. Treating any underlying conditions such as narcolepsy may help if you are anxious or unable to sleep well. These treatments may include the following:

Improving sleep habits -- such as making sure you get six to eight hours of sleep each night

Using antidepressant medication if it is prescribed to help regulate sleep cycles

Treating any mental health problems that may contribute to sleep paralysis

Treating any other sleep disorders, such as narcolepsy or leg cramps

What Can I Do About Sleep Paralysis?

There's no need to fear nighttime demons or alien abductors. If you have occasional sleep paralysis, you can take steps at home to control this disorder. Start by making sure you get enough sleep. Do what you can to relieve stress in your life -- especially just before bedtime. Try new sleeping positions if you sleep on your back. And be sure to see your doctor if sleep paralysis routinely prevents you from getting a good night's sleep.

Source

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by Andrew3(m): 7:14am On Oct 10, 2017
I am home alone op sad sad sad

2 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by Finstar: 7:15am On Oct 10, 2017
Oyinbo have really dealt with us. See how they will label such a spiritual experience sleep paralysis.. Because they were said by an Oyinbo, my people will agree without any research in their own side.. Claiming atheist up and down.. Keyboard Athiest... Mitcheew.. Wetin concern me..

3 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by Suko110(m): 7:15am On Oct 10, 2017
Too long, hate extreme narrative.
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by SenorFax(m): 7:16am On Oct 10, 2017
Suko110:
Too long, hate extreme narrative.
Too lazy, Where's the fun in short stories.
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by baski92(m): 7:17am On Oct 10, 2017
Go church
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by BrutalJab: 7:18am On Oct 10, 2017
ultron12345:
They are two different things.

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by Suko110(m): 7:18am On Oct 10, 2017
SenorFax:

Too lazy, Where's the fun in short stories.
Nah u get my reading spirit grin grin grin
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by Andrew3(m): 7:19am On Oct 10, 2017
ultron12345:

Adopted by Satan and witches to manipulate sleepers, Sleep no more and work.

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 10, 2017
Sleep paralysis happen to white and black people. But the ones that is strange is where after the episode, it keeps repeating itself you start feeling sick.

3 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by crazypencils20: 7:41am On Oct 10, 2017
sevunteen:
Great piece

Thank you very much!
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by ikorodureporta: 7:50am On Oct 10, 2017
Until witches use yr blood cook asaro & egusi soup finish.......

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by akankemi1(f): 7:52am On Oct 10, 2017
happens to me a lot. used to think it was spiritual until I read about it sometimes back. now I know better.

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by crazypencils20: 7:54am On Oct 10, 2017
Andrew3:

Lol, I've experienced sleep paralyzed once or twice. Its usual triggers are severe lack of sleep and stress (In my own case though, can't speak for others) not demonic oppression.
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by crazypencils20: 7:56am On Oct 10, 2017
Suko110:

Nah u get my reading spirit grin grin grin

grin grin
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by iamnlia(m): 7:56am On Oct 10, 2017
Superb piece.
I've had sleep paralysis everywhere, in my hostel, in my family house, in the class, lying on the ground. I saw the Grimm reaper.
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by olatwo(m): 7:56am On Oct 10, 2017
crazypencils20:

grin It's just your mind waking up before your body.

Perfect explanation! and I panic no more now wen it happens. I play around inside the paralysis until my body is ready. grin grin
Nice piece.

Happened to me and I seek for medical attention, then was told. smiley

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by iamnlia(m): 7:59am On Oct 10, 2017
Andrew3:

No it's not, btw Happy Birthday.
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by crazypencils20: 8:01am On Oct 10, 2017
billycayana:
embarassed nice piece
There’s more to that sleep paralysis

grin It's just your mind waking up before your body.

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by crazypencils20: 8:03am On Oct 10, 2017
iamnlia:
Superb piece.
I've had sleep paralysis everywhere, in my hostel, in my family house, in the class, lying on the ground. I saw the Grimm reaper.

What did he/she look like? Grimm reaper na man or woman sef grin
Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by donnie(m): 8:04am On Oct 10, 2017
tintingz:
Africans and religious folks will say it is an imaginary Satan or demon attacking them which is not true, this can be scientifically proven and prevented, sleep paralysis is not a paranormal attack, village witch attack or demonic.

Is Sleep Paralysis a Symptom of a Serious Problem?

Sleep researchers conclude that, in most cases, sleep paralysis is simply a sign that your body is not moving smoothly through the stages of sleep. Rarely is sleep paralysis linked to deep underlying psychiatric problems.

Sleep Paralysis ko... stroke ni...

Nor worry... when the real thing press you, you will remember all this grammar.

3 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) by crazypencils20: 8:13am On Oct 10, 2017
Finstar:
Oyinbo have really dealt with us. See how they will label such a spiritual experience sleep paralysis.. Because they were said by an Oyinbo, my people will agree without any research in their own side.. Claiming atheist up and down.. Keyboard Athiest... Mitcheew.. Wetin concern me..

I'm not an atheist but ik sleep paralysis is not spiritual.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fopefolu Memorial High School / Foxy-rebirth --- The Warriors Of The Delta (pidgin English) / The Life Of A Typical Nigerian Student - A SHORT STORY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.