Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,449 members, 7,819,660 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

How Do You Prepare For Death? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do You Prepare For Death? (666 Views)

Why Do Atheists Always Wait For Death To Get Sense? Makes No Sense! (Photo) / Native Doctor Claims A Family Member Is Responsible For Death Of 6 Kids In Edo / Pastor Adeboye Prays For Death Of Relatives “Blocking Your Way” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Prepare For Death? by Nobody: 7:06am On Oct 10, 2017
Its no question, in my opinion, that we're all "lucky" to be alive. I say we're lucky because I don't know for sure if what comes after is worse or not, or if anything comes after at all.
The human body is fragile. Just look around you on your way to work/lectures/wherever you're going. There are thousands of things that could kill you. In a split second something could happen, and your life would be no more. Essentially what I'm saying is that we could lose our lives at any moment.
I also think that "dying" is the scary part about death. When we're dead, we face whatever comes before us. But the transition from this "known" world into the unknown is what scares us. Not death itself.
Why am I writing this? For three nights in a row I've had sleep paralysis early in the mornings(preceded by weird dreams where I'm dying or close to dying). This morning was particularly weird, I almost felt like I was detaching from my body (could be an illusion) and I when I was "fighting back" to reenter my body then I could feel again. It felt like some next level sh*t. grin Lol.
Anyway, my question is, "With the knowledge that death can come at any point in time, how do you mentally prepare yourself for the process of dying? What do you say to yourself to calm your mind and accept this fact about death?"

I specifically mentioned free thinkers and non religious because I'm sure to hear different perspectives from each of them. For the two popular religions practiced here, the books have made it clear what to expect. However if you want to clarify some perceptions and answer some FAQ about your religion you're free to join in on the discussion.

CC johnydon22 hahn winner01 malvisguy212 Scholar8200 K9blunt cloudgoddess KingEbukaNaija KingEbukasblog SirWere ValentineMary HardMirror Joshuasbase lepasharon otemanuduno otemdomino otem4eartum HCpaul valentinemary CAPSLOCKED donffd OtemWonyahweh hopefullandlord frank317 OgundeleT Seun lalasticlala et al otematum adepeter2027 4kings dorox lennycool geoworldedu
Re: How Do You Prepare For Death? by Gracyswizy(f): 7:13am On Oct 10, 2017
Read Luke 10 vs 17, because death is inevitable
Re: How Do You Prepare For Death? by kitogram(m): 7:19am On Oct 10, 2017
I think everyone knows that death is inevitable but sometimes it's never thought about often to keep worry at bay and live a fulfilled life. Sometimes the thought is brought back when we hear about or witness the death of our kind.
One thing for sure whatever it is you do there's no running away. It's almost like a gift you must get when your time here is up. Think of it as a priviledge, the time that was spent on this realm and moving on to the next phase of being if there is one.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Prepare For Death? by Nobody: 7:20am On Oct 10, 2017
kitogram:
I think everyone knows that death is inevitable but sometimes it's never thought about often to keep worry at bay and live a fulfilled life. Sometimes the thought is brought back when we hear about or witness the death of our kind.
One thing for sure whatever it is you do there's no running away. It's almost like a gift you must get when your time here is up. Think of it as a priviledge, the time that was spent on this realm and moving on to the next phase of being if there is one.
Yup, I agree with you. I guess people don't think about it enough. It doesn't seem like a pleasant thing to keep on your mind all the time but its inevitable.
Re: How Do You Prepare For Death? by einsteino(m): 11:04am On Oct 10, 2017
I am not an atheist/freethinker or whatever labels people ascribe to these days. but i would say why worry? worrying didnt bring you to life and it wouldnt keep you from death. we have no knowledge of from whence we came into this world and it doesnt scare you, so why should it scare you that you have no knowledge of where you would go from here?

mehn sleep is trivialised death itself, most part of your sleep, you are unconcious. and it doesnt hurt that you are, i think death is an exaggerated mishap. none of us have any data to give a qualitative or quantitive analysis of what it truly is. what religious books say is at best a guess, accepted squarely on faith, no logic or evidence.

if death is as bad as people preach, then birth is a disaster too.. cos ones birth is an invitation to die, yet we all celeberate our birthdays even when it brings us closer to our death.

so to answer your question, how do i prepare for death? I live.. oh yes! thats all anyone can actually do and thats how we all die, by living and thinking our death is farther than it actually is.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do You Prepare For Death? by johnydon22(m): 12:57pm On Oct 10, 2017
I don't prepare for death, I am alive now and that is all that matters, death is irrelevant to me as long as I am Alive. So I have no business preparing for death when I have a life to live.

I am alive so I am living.

If you are preparing for death then I don't think you are living but just waiting to die.

Death takes away life, so tell me why you should waste life to prepare for something that takes life away?

Its absurd.

If you are alive, live. If you die then you are dead

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Prepare For Death? by Epositive(m): 1:05pm On Oct 10, 2017
johnydon22:
I don't prepare for death, I am alive now and that is all that matters, death is irrelevant to me as long as I am Alive. So I have no business preparing for death when I have a life to live.

I am alive so I am living.

If you are preparing for death then I don't think you are living but just waiting to die.

Death takes away life, so tell me why you should waste life to prepare for something that takes life away?

Its absurd.

If you are alive, live. If you die then you are dead

i re-shuffled, rearranged,modified and outlined my priorities the day i realised my demise will not shift a nepa pole grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Prepare For Death? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 10, 2017
einsteino:
I am not an atheist/freethinker or whatever labels people ascribe to these days. but i would say why worry? worrying didnt bring you to life and it wouldnt keep you from death. we have no knowledge of from whence we came into this world and it doesnt scare you, so why should it scare you that you have no knowledge of where you would go from here?

mehn sleep is trivialised death itself, most part of your sleep, you are unconcious. and it doesnt hurt that you are, i think death is an exaggerated mishap. none of us have any data to give a qualitative or quantitive analysis of what it truly is. what religious books say is at best a guess, accepted squarely on faith, no logic or evidence.

if death is as bad as people preach, then birth is a disaster too.. cos ones birth is an invitation to die, yet we all celeberate our birthdays even when it brings us closer to our death.

so to answer your question, how do i prepare for death? I live.. oh yes! thats all anyone can actually do and thats how we all die, by living and thinking our death is farther than it actually is.
So the best way to stop worrying about death is to live. But then, what would you tell a person who can 'see' his death approaching (terminal illness, old age, death sentence, or even someone with a mental illness). At that point, death is nearer than ever, and it would be something that would cross their minds frequently.

cc johnydon22

1 Like

Re: How Do You Prepare For Death? by johnydon22(m): 2:00pm On Oct 10, 2017
AnonyNymous:

So the best way to stop worrying about death is to live. But then, what would you tell a person who can 'see' his death approaching (terminal illness, old age, death sentence, or even someone with a mental illness). At that point, death is nearer than ever, and it would be something that would cross their minds frequently.

cc johnydon22

I will advice them to live and savor the moments they have.

Don't worry about what will be, your worry doesn't change batshit
Re: How Do You Prepare For Death? by winner01(m): 3:21pm On Oct 17, 2017
Either we admit it or not, I think the thought of death or sight of the dead brings fear into the most callous of humans. Ever wondered why assasins run when their life is in danger? I was seeing a movie where someone assasinated a president and he was on the run when authorities found out his location. My nephew asked out loud why an assasin was afraid to die and I also thought about it.
Death and the thought of it scares humans and as some have said, one way to deal with the fear of death is to not think about it and focus on life itself, which is what the majority do. I've never seen a man who talks about death every single time except death stares at the person (death sentence, terminal illness etc). Quit thinking about it and live, it will come naturally in it's time.
If you agree with me that most people live life without the thought of death to constantly ruin their moods, permit me to wonder why some people think theists chose to believe what they believe because of what might happen when they die.
Re: How Do You Prepare For Death? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Oct 17, 2017
winner01:
Either we admit it or not, I think the thought of death or sight of the dead brings fear into the most callous of humans. Ever wondered why assasins run when their life is in danger? I was seeing a movie where someone assasinated a president and he was on the run when authorities found out his location. My nephew asked out loud why an assasin was afraid to die and I also thought about it.
Death and the thought of it scares humans and as some have said, one way to deal with the fear of death is to not think about it and focus on life itself, which is what the majority do. I've never seen a man who talks about death every single time except death stares at the person (death sentence, terminal illness etc). Quit thinking about it and live, it will come naturally in it's time.
If you agree with me that most people live life without the thought of death to constantly ruin their moods, permit me to wonder why some people think theists chose to believe what they believe because of what might happen when they die.

personally I think some theists believe because of that because when you get into an argument that they can't defend they try to threaten you with death. especially one Sebastian moniker and asustrike2009.

Then these deeper life preachers in buses do it too.

they will be like when you die you will go to hell. It is better you believe even if it all turns out to be false you lose nothing. and the way they say it shows it is the major reason they believe.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Prepare For Death? by winner01(m): 3:34pm On Oct 17, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

personally I think some theists believe because of that because when you get into an argument that they can't defeat they try to threaten you with death. especially one Sebastian moniker and asustrike2009.

Then these deeper life preachers in buses too.

they will be like when you die you will. go to he'll and. the way they say it shows it is the major reason they believe.
A lot of theists in this part of the world use this because of ignorance and inexperience especially in the area of apologetics and so you can't blame them. its different in other parts of the world. In reality, most people live their daily lives without thinking about death or hell. There are many other reasons why people believe what they believe.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Prepare For Death? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Oct 17, 2017
winner01:
A lot of theists in this part of the world use this because of ignorance and inexperience especially in the area of apologetics and so you can't blame them. its different in other parts of the world. In reality, most people live their daily lives without thinking about death or hell. There are many other reasons why people believe what they believe.

people generally don't want to think about death even though death is all around us. It is our reality and final destination.
Re: How Do You Prepare For Death? by winner01(m): 3:43pm On Oct 17, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

people generally don't want to think about death even though death is all around us. It is our reality and final destination.
It is reality, yes.
Final destination? You don't know that.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Prepare For Death? by Ranchhoddas: 5:54pm On Oct 17, 2017
winner01:
It is reality, yes.
Final destination? You don't know that.
It isn't what you think it is either.
Re: How Do You Prepare For Death? by OtemAtum: 4:14am On Oct 20, 2017
If I have wealth, I will prepare for death by writing my will so that my children will be able to share my property peacefully after I'm dead. That's all I can do to prepare for death.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Power Does Satan Really Have? / The Holy Spirit – Our Helper / First-ever Photos Of Yemen's Jews Stunned The Jewish World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.