Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,078 members, 7,818,232 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified (21844 Views)

Top Interview Mistakes You Should Avoid / Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable / Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by BiafranBushBoy: 7:00am On Oct 11, 2017
This common interview mistakes Nigerian graduates commit might seem harmless, but they are interview killers. Job interviews are just the best place to show the employer how much of an asset you would be when employed. Even if you have all the skills, ideas and talents, committing any of the listed blunders might see you lose the position to someone else – even if the person is less qualified than you are.

I also shared how I passed my first ever interview. You can check mine Hoq I aced my first ever interview

Here are the common interview mistakes Nigerian graduates make. The aim is to find the right balance when answering the interviewer’s questions so that you don’t give out a wrong impression about yourself. Or at worst look less qualified than you are.

Dressing Non-Professional to an Interview

This is one of the common interview mistakes made by fresh graduates, due to lack of exposure. It has become almost common with Nigerian graduates. It baffles me to see a job seeker wearing a shoe, chinos trouser and a shirt at an interview.

What impression are you passing? Regardless of the position applied, you should always look like a professional. If you have seen most sportsmen during contract signing with top brands, they are always on suits. If they can do such despite their big names, what about you without any?

If there is a Tie between you – who is half dressed and another candidate who is professionally dressed, you would be eliminated on dressing points. So why risk it?

Failure to Link your ability to Company’s Profitability (Pitching your Value)

We know it is very important to share your accomplishments and abilities, but you shouldn’t end there. The hidden curiosity at the mind of every interviewer is “How can you help us improve” (Adding value)

It is not okay to say “I have a certificate in Digital Marketing” to an interviewer. This is one of the mistakes made by fresh graduates, It is making more sense to communicate the value that your certification will give the company.

You can say “I possess a certification in Digital Marketing, and the experience gained has helped me to …” site several achievements you recorded during your training period, and watch how the interviewer would smile at such brilliant answer.

Giving One-word answers to questions

No matter how simple the question to you may sound, always endeavour to elaborate. You should know that every question is an opportunity for you to wow the interviewer.

Explain
Give Instances
Tell Stories
Hype yourself.

You might not know the psychological impressions, but trust me that it works. It won’t just give you the job, it will also position you to negotiate a higher pay for yourself.

Admitting your Nerves and Fears

“Are you scared?”
“Are you nervous?”
“Have you ever at some point made terrible decisions that cost you much?”

Never ever answer positively to questions like this. You might assume that admitting to the above questions shows you out as an honest fellow – it might be so in social gatherings, but it is a bad strategy to gaining the interviewers confidence.

Remember that you are supposed to show yourself as calm-under-pressure, and a cool-headed professional, who knows good decisions to take. If you admit positive to such questions, it gives them the chance to imagine you doing such in the office. Keep calm and fake confidence.

Failure to Prepare (What do you know about the company)

“What do you know about us?”

This question is worth a million. If you ever want to increase your chances of getting hired, then you should show the interviewer that you well prepared. You should focus on the following;

Who they are
What they do
Core Values
Mission Statement
Vision Statement
Any related news/recent activities about them online or offline.
Who wouldn’t employ such a brilliant person?

By following the above instructions, believe me, that you have improved your chances of getting hired by 80%.

Other factors include;

Your Experience

Value Added Skills you are bringing to the table.

If all these are in place, then the job is yours for the taking. Till we meet again, I hope you land your dream job with these tips.

Source: http://topwritersden.com/common-interview-mistakes-nigerian-graduates/

Cc: lalasticlala

25 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by BiafranBushBoy: 7:02am On Oct 11, 2017
I will be giving out my free E-book titled “Tough Interview Questions and How to Answer Them”.

Please just click here to get it for FREE

Thanks for reading.
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by potent5(m): 7:37am On Oct 11, 2017
OK.
Another mistake is "not doing enough to lobby for the job".

5 Likes

Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by BiafranBushBoy: 9:20am On Oct 11, 2017
potent5:
OK.

Another mistake is "not doing enough to lobby for the job".

SMH. I am not talking about Government jobs jare...

lol
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by iihtlagos: 9:23am On Oct 11, 2017
Nice thread.

If talented people (People with the skills) can find it hard to get job, what is the Fate of those without skills?

That is the reason IIHT is here to help. We are giving back to the Lagos community with the FREE Empowerment workshop that would be holding on the 18th of October 2017.

Details here. You can see more information by clicking here

1 Like

Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by iihtlagos: 9:24am On Oct 11, 2017
nice
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by johncreek: 10:23am On Oct 11, 2017
Nice one OP

Jcvaxe Technology Concepts Fresh Graduate & Exp. Job Recruitment (7 Positions)

JCvaxe Technology Concepts is a registered IT maintenance firm that renders computer Sale,repairs, networking and other IT solution for various organizations. Our services cover both software installation and hardware troubleshooting and repairs.

We are recruiting to fill the following positions below:

1.) Graduate Trainee

Click Here To View Details

2.) Graphics and Website Developer/Content Manager

3.) IT Personnel

4.) Customer Service Officer

5.) Marketing Executive

6.) Personal Assistant to Managing Director

7.) Procurement Officer

Application Closing Date
30th October, 2017.

Source:https://www.ournewjobs.com/apply-for-jcvaxe-technology-concepts-fresh-graduate-and-experience-job-recruitment/
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by martynsnet: 10:24am On Oct 11, 2017
There is no sure way to get a job plus most HR guys are smarter now. They can see through your Bulls**t.

just be prepared and pray it goes well, you can NEVER be certain what employers are looking for.

it's OK to dress well but it doesn't guarantee anything, I feel like sharing this. Last month I went for an interview well dressed, anybody that knows me outside NL knows I dress good. wearing a shirt by Hawes&Curtis, Mos Bros suit, Zara men shoes, not trying to sound arrogant but I know I was in top notch looks. well prepared speech, I knew everything about the company, I was in for a kill. went into the room heads up, speaking with confidence, enough to wow everybody until one guy said "please don't bullsh**t a bullsh**ter", as in saliva tried up in my mouth immediately. the guy said "that will be all". stood up, thanked them and walked out.

There is no sure way, just be prepared and be hopeful.

5 Likes

Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by Dutchey(m): 10:24am On Oct 11, 2017
if u are reading this, something good will happen to u soon... don't give up

5 Likes

Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by Josephjnr(m): 10:24am On Oct 11, 2017
Seriously? Hope say na like this people from country like USA dey take prepare for interview? Me tink say our problem pass our preparation.
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by kay29000(m): 10:25am On Oct 11, 2017
Hmm
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by hola106(m): 10:26am On Oct 11, 2017
ok
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by dreamworld: 10:27am On Oct 11, 2017

Who da hell does the employer think he is
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by Tobwins: 10:28am On Oct 11, 2017
Taminus Osogbo buning
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 11, 2017
Connection.a k a man knows man .
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by gigabyte13: 10:35am On Oct 11, 2017
Story story, how many experience GEJ get before he became Nigerian president........? Abegggg no scare me jareeeeeee, if you like give me work or not, l go survive somehow....
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by Keeppushing: 10:39am On Oct 11, 2017
Having the right skill needed for any/every job you are applying for is always the best thing as that will solve 75% of your interview problems leaving other things like Salary negotiation etc to you and the interviewers discretion.

On this note, avail yourself the opportunity to:Enjoy 30% discount on any ICT/IT course(s) of your choice and also be open to attend our weekly FREE workshop on ICT trainings
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by BiafranBushBoy: 10:41am On Oct 11, 2017
martynsnet:
There is no sure way to get a job plus most HR guys are smarter now. They can see through your Bulls**t.

just be prepared and pray it goes well, you can NEVER be certain what employers are looking for.

it's OK to dress well but it doesn't guarantee anything, I feel like sharing this. Last month I went for an interview well dressed, anybody that knows me outside NL knows I dress good. wearing a shirt by Hawes&Curtis, Mos Bros suit, Zara men shoes, not trying to sound arrogant but I know I was in top notch looks. well prepared speech, I knew everything about the company, I was in for a kill. went into the room heads up, speaking with confidence, enough to wow everybody until one guy said "please don't bullsh**t a bullsh**ter", as in saliva tried up in my mouth immediately. the guy said "that will be all". stood up, thanked them and walked out.

There is no sure way, just be prepared and be hopeful.

That you got lucky doesn't mean it applies to all.
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by BiafranBushBoy: 11:08am On Oct 11, 2017
gigabyte13:
Story story, how many experience GEJ get before he became Nigerian president........? Abegggg no scare me jareeeeeee, if you like give me work or not, l go survive somehow....

Oya na.. wait till you become like GEJ
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by BiafranBushBoy: 11:08am On Oct 11, 2017
comshots:
Connection.a k a man knows man .

Can you wait till you get the connection? lol
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by BiafranBushBoy: 11:09am On Oct 11, 2017
Dutchey:
if u are reading this, something good will happen to u soon... don't give up

Hallelujah pastor undecided
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by Geezholla: 11:19am On Oct 11, 2017
Good info, this can get one a balance in an interview, its really educative. Tnx
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by Ezi39: 11:34am On Oct 11, 2017
This common interview mistakes Nigerian graduates commit might seem harmless, but they are interview killers. Job interviews are just the best place to show the employer how much of an asset you would be when employed. Even if you have all the skills, ideas and talents, committing any of the listed blunders might see you lose the position to someone else – even if the person is less qualified than you are.

I also shared how I passed my first ever interview. You can check mine Hoq I aced my first ever interview

Here are the common interview mistakes Nigerian graduates make. The aim is to find the right balance when answering the interviewer’s questions so that you don’t give out a wrong impression about yourself. Or at worst look less qualified than you are.

Dressing Non-Professional to an Interview

This is one of the common interview mistakes made by fresh graduates, due to lack of exposure. It has become almost common with Nigerian graduates. It baffles me to see a job seeker wearing a shoe, chinos trouser and a shirt at an interview.

What impression are you passing? Regardless of the position applied, you should always look like a professional. If you have seen most sportsmen during contract signing with top brands, they are always on suits. If they can do such despite their big names, what about you without any?

If there is a Tie between you – who is half dressed and another candidate who is professionally dressed, you would be eliminated on dressing points. So why risk it?

Failure to Link your ability to Company’s Profitability (Pitching your Value)

We know it is very important to share your accomplishments and abilities, but you shouldn’t end there. The hidden curiosity at the mind of every interviewer is “How can you help us improve” (Adding value)

It is not okay to say “I have a certificate in Digital Marketing” to an interviewer. This is one of the mistakes made by fresh graduates, It is making more sense to communicate the value that your certification will give the company.

You can say “I possess a certification in Digital Marketing, and the experience gained has helped me to …” site several achievements you recorded during your training period, and watch how the interviewer would smile at such brilliant answer.

Giving One-word answers to questions

No matter how simple the question to you may sound, always endeavour to elaborate. You should know that every question is an opportunity for you to wow the interviewer.

Explain
Give Instances
Tell Stories
Hype yourself.

You might not know the psychological impressions, but trust me that it works. It won’t just give you the job, it will also position you to negotiate a higher pay for yourself.

Admitting your Nerves and Fears

“Are you scared?”
“Are you nervous?”
“Have you ever at some point made terrible decisions that cost you much?”

Never ever answer positively to questions like this. You might assume that admitting to the above questions shows you out as an honest fellow – it might be so in social gatherings, but it is a bad strategy to gaining the interviewers confidence.

Remember that you are supposed to show yourself as calm-under-pressure, and a cool-headed professional, who knows good decisions to take. If you admit positive to such questions, it gives them the chance to imagine you doing such in the office. Keep calm and fake confidence.

Failure to Prepare (What do you know about the company)

“What do you know about us?”

This question is worth a million. If you ever want to increase your chances of getting hired, then you should show the interviewer that you well prepared. You should focus on the following;

Who they are
What they do
Core Values
Mission Statement
Vision Statement
Any related news/recent activities about them online or offline.
Who wouldn’t employ such a brilliant person?

By following the above instructions, believe me, that you have improved your chances of getting hired by 80%.

Other factors include;

Your Experience

Value Added Skills you are bringing to the table.

If all these are in place, then the job is yours for the taking. Till we meet again, I hope you land your dream job with these tips.

Source: http://topwritersden.com/common-interview-mistakes-nigerian-graduates/

Cc: lalasticlala[/quote] Before you jump into the conclusion that some Nigerian graduates are unemployable, you need to also consider the people conducting interview.
They cannot also employ some graduates due to egotistical personality keeping them away. Why shouldn't a graduate seeking job, perform below expectation when only a scarce quantity of mark is given to him by those assessing him, who believed that no one can do it better than them.
You are an interviewer, and you are acting in rude fashion when questioning job candidates about their present salary. I don't know about others, but few things are as annoying as poking ones nose into another person's business.
Today some private school HRs even go as far as asking to know if a job candidate can help school children pass during exam. Those that don't exhibit such machievellian personality will not be landed the job.
Now after all these, this same set of people will come to tell the public that some graduates are unemployable.
Because so many employers of labour, who are not professional, are proprietors these days, we should know that they are out to employ people like them.
I am using private secondary schools as a case study. Those that are certified teachers are finding it hard to get job in these schools. The reason is not because they cannot perform, but their non certified teachers counterparts are preferred just because they pay them peanuts.
I have seen many non certified teachers that got job just because they demanded salary that was lower than the prior.
The employers of labour in the private sectors, that have been going around telling people that most Nigerian graduates are unemployable, should stop it.
It is somewhat presumptuous to assume you know about interview questions than those they are condemning. Stop describing some job candidates conducts in a pejorative way. Some of them are better than you.
We all know that job candidates in Nigeria are facing a catch 22 situation.

1 Like

Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by 2shure: 11:35am On Oct 11, 2017
Oh pls
Are we abroad.
Enough of these fake ass copy and paste articles and shiiit.
In naija u can do and undo
Ns who u know.
Besides whose looking for job these days
Most niggis are self made
Entrepreneurship Business
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by childrenday15(m): 11:45am On Oct 11, 2017
Point 1 is meaningless. The most important thing is to dress corporate,not everyone could afford to buy a suit. Besides,if I manage to buy one,won't it fade in no time after appearing for many interview in it alone.
As if Neymar no sign €222m contract in only Adidas singlet.

2 Likes

Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by BiafranBushBoy: 11:47am On Oct 11, 2017
2shure:
Oh pls
Are we abroad.
Enough of these fake ass copy and paste articles and shiiit.
In naija u can do and undo
Ns who u know.
Besides whose looking for job these days
Most niggis are self made
Entrepreneurship Business

Copy and paste from where?

Before you dive into making baseless allegations, kindly provide proof.

"Who you know" is real, but it happens with just 5% of firms today.
Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by BiafranBushBoy: 11:48am On Oct 11, 2017
childrenday15:
Point 1 is meaningless. The most important thing is to dress corporate,not everyone could afford to buy a suit. Besides,if I manage to buy one,won't it fade in no time after appearing for many interview in it alone.
As if Neymar no sign €222m contract in only Adidas singlet.

Na so. Neymar wore Adidas to sign contract.

Have you seen him when he is about to sign an endorsement contract? you are taking only the perspective that matters to your emotion.

If you really need a job, Dressing in suit and a tie won't kill you.

1 Like

Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by potent5(m): 11:49am On Oct 11, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:

SMH. I am not talking about Government jobs jare...
lol
Any job can be lobbied for. Smh

Re: Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified by BiafranBushBoy: 11:50am On Oct 11, 2017
potent5:

Any job can be lobbied for. Smh

You can also lobby for KPMG jobs, wink

Let's know how long your leg is.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Immigration Service In Another Illegal Recruitment / The Lagos State Government Has Started Online Registration Of Jobless People / Pay Package For Stanbic Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.