Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it (990 Views)

What Ndoki People Say About Themselves / Black People Have Super Powers #UNDERGROUNDRISEUP / “I Don’t Give My Instagram To Black People" - White Model To Black Photographer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it by BolaAdeyemo: 3:39pm On Oct 12, 2017
Why do we blacks Get Angry when a white Person uses the N word around us?
Re: Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it by Nobody: 3:44pm On Oct 12, 2017
grin

Nice question...

Why black ppol get mad if other races called them the N word but its OK for the black ppol to use N word to each other? I mean what's the difference? undecided

1 Like

Re: Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it by KardinalZik(m): 3:59pm On Oct 12, 2017
An injury to a single black is an injury to all blacks: ALL FOR ONE, ONE FOR ALL.
Re: Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it by BolaAdeyemo: 4:26pm On Oct 12, 2017
IamKashyBaby:
grin

Nice question...

Why black ppol get mad if other races called them the N word but its OK for the black ppol to use N word to each other? I mean what's the difference? undecided

so if a white person calls u a N,you will be fine with it?
Re: Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it by BolaAdeyemo: 4:27pm On Oct 12, 2017
KardinalZik:
An injury to a single black is an injury to all blacks: ALL FOR ONE, ONE FOR ALL.
but Black people dont wanna stop using the word
Re: Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 12, 2017
BolaAdeyemo:
so if a white person calls u a N,you will be fine with it?

I dunno..Im Asian..so I keep wondering why black ppol take it as an offensive word when they are even calling other black ppol with N WORD...
Re: Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it by BolaAdeyemo: 4:52pm On Oct 12, 2017
IamKashyBaby:

I dunno..Im Asian..so I keep wondering why black ppol take it as an offensive word when they are even calling other black ppol with N WORD...
I dont get it either,i think if they themselves quit using the word,others will stop using it too

it is just like one who calls himself a fool and gets angry when other People call him that

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 12, 2017
BolaAdeyemo:
I dont get it either,i think if they themselves quit using the word,others will stop using it too

it is just like one who calls himself a fool and gets angry when other People call him that

I agree with u.. But when other races call the black ppol N word, these the same black ppol that called themselves N word will cry for help coz other races are being racists and disrespectful..

1 Like

Re: Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it by fatlossdoctorr: 9:01pm On Oct 12, 2017
A white person calling a black person the N word has a different effect compared to a black person calling another black person. To understand the effect such word has, you need to look at it from a historical perspective. Nigger is a demeaning word, a word used to describe black people as subhuman, slaves and everything bad. For at least 400years, the word was used to torment black people and make every corner of their existence tragic. When a white person calls a black person such name, it evokes centuries of oppression and has a completely different meaning thereof. The effects are not the same.

I see a group of females calling each other bitches, but I know that if I call them such, it has a completely different effect. Context matters. I personally do not use such words and expect that it will just fade away, but nonblacks should not call a black person the N word, in most cases than not, its a form of an abuse and ridicule.
Re: Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it by BolaAdeyemo: 11:06pm On Oct 12, 2017
fatlossdoctorr:
A white person calling a black person the N word has a different effect compared to a black person calling another black person. To understand the effect such word has, you need to look at it from a historical perspective. Nigger is a demeaning word, a word used to describe black people as subhuman, slaves and everything bad. For at least 400years, the word was used to torment black people and make every corner of their existence tragic. When a white person calls a black person such name, it evokes centuries of oppression and has a completely different meaning thereof. The effects are not the same.

I see a group of females calling each other bitches, but I know that if I call them such, it has a completely different effect. Context matters. I personally do not use such words and expect that it will just fade away, but nonblacks should not call a black person the N word, in most cases than not, its a form of an abuse and ridicule.
wow,now i get it better,meaning when a white Person says it,it reminds then the pains and humilation their Ancestor suffered from the whites?
Re: Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it by Nobody: 1:48am On Oct 13, 2017
BolaAdeyemo:

Don't fall into the trap of non blacks who are jealous because they can't use it trying to stop its usage all together.

Black people suffered through unimaginable hardships with that word in their ears. They turned this horrible name into a term of endearment amongst themselves just to soften it's meaning and sort of as an in your face. Any non black, whites especially, using that word is symbolic of everything bad about the name.

Don't use it, don't mind it. But I understand why black people AA's especially would.

1 Like

Re: Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it by Nobody: 3:00am On Oct 13, 2017
fatlossdoctorr:

See that's where I have to respectfully disagree. A word's meaning (especially if it is negative) doesn't really change (in my opinion).
Although one may think that it has changed, I believe that subconsciously, the original meaning will always remain.
The only word that I can recall that has been totally changed in meaning is the word "gay" which I think had an agenda. It originally meant "happy, jovial, blissful"....which could've been a way to attach that meaning to something that is considered abnormal...in order to make it appear normal...(jusy my thoughts).
I personally can't stand to hear black Americans using the "N" word amongst each other....one can't change a word that has an horrendous history attached to..into something allegedly "good". It just won't work. What happened was a "brain-washed" effect...
And even white people know that....

1 Like

Re: Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it by fatlossdoctorr: 9:40am On Oct 13, 2017
MsNgo40:

See that's where I have to respectfully disagree. A word's meaning (especially if it is negative) doesn't really change (in my opinion).
Although one may think that it has changed, I believe that subconsciously, the original meaning will always remain.
The only word that I can recall that has been totally changed in meaning is the word "gay" which I think had an agenda. It originally meant "happy, jovial, blissful"....which could've been a way to attach that meaning to something that is considered abnormal...in order to make it appear normal...(jusy my thoughts).
I personally can't stand to hear black Americans using the "N" word amongst each other....one can't change a word that has an horrendous history attached to..into something allegedly "good". It just won't work. What happened was a "brain-washed" effect...
And even white people know that....

You do not have to disagree since I didn't say that the word has changed its meaning. I'm only referring to the effect such words has in its contextual usage.

And yes, you are right. Such word has a negative beginning and should be abandoned not refurbished, refined or used in contemporary culture to make it sound cool. If not for the infiltration of such word in rap music and African American speech, the word might have died long ago. The ignorance attached to it, even when I see lots of Nigerians using it is pitiable.
Re: Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it by RedboneSmith(m): 12:36pm On Oct 13, 2017
It is similar to an in-joke. You and your friends call each other 'fools', but could get mad if someone from outside your crew comes up to say it to you.

1 Like

Re: Black people call themselves the N word but get Angry When White People say it by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 13, 2017
fatlossdoctorr:

You do not have to disagree since I didn't say that the word has changed its meaning. I'm only referring to the effect such words has in its contextual usage.

And yes, you are right. Such word has a negative beginning and should be abandoned not refurbished, refined or used in contemporary culture to make it sound cool. If not for the infiltration of such word in rap music and African American speech, the word might have died long ago. The ignorance attached to it, even when I see lots of Nigerians using it is pitiable.

Sorry, I should've been more specific of where my disagreement lied.
It was the part about the use of the word not having the same "effect" if blacks use it.
I was just saying that the effect had already been accomplished: have the black people calling themselves the derogatory word.
Have them "exploit" each other....and not see that it is a word of oppression (again my thoughts).
It's really sad to see Africans (specifically Nigerians) using tge the word cause there again goes to show the tremendous Western culture influence.
I appreciate your comment though.

(1) (Reply)

List Of Top Ngos In Nigeria / An Igbo Woman Should Be Completely Submissive / How The World Was Created From A Drop Of Milk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.