Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) (2279 Views)

How Flying Snakes Can Glide Through The Air (Photos) / Top 5 Awesome Tech Products That Died In 2018 / Cheapest Airtel Data Plans In 2018 - Smartconnect 1.5gb For N500, 3gb For N1000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by Explorers(m): 7:26pm On Oct 14, 2017
With several firms, including Boeing, working on self-flying planes, it's only a matter of time before the technology takes to the skies, according to a new report.

In the report, experts claim that much of the pilot's job has already been automated, and ditching the pilot altogether could actually lead to safer flights.

Despite this, only one in six passengers say they would feel comfortable in a fully automated plane.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4972734/Self-flying-PLANES-begin-testing-2018.html
Lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like

Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by Explorers(m): 7:27pm On Oct 14, 2017
Jetliners can already take off, cruise and land using their onboard flight computers and the number of pilots on a standard passenger plane has dropped to two from three over the years.

In recent years, there have been several devastating air crashes many of which were found to have been caused in part by the pilot.

And experts believe that improved automation could have helped to avert at least some of these disasters.

On an average flight, the pilots manually control the plane for about three to six minutes, and the rest is autopiloted.

But despite this, a recent report found that only one in six passengers would feel comfortable in a fully automated plane.

Professor Ella Atkins, an expert in aerospace engineering at the University of Michigan, said: 'You're looking at very simple calculations.'Automated systems can use algorithms to determine if, for example, a plane is flying too low 'and if the answer is yes, then the automation can and should stop that accident from happening,' according to Professor Atkins.

Despite this, Professor Rice believes that there are several questions to be answered before self-flying planes take the sky including who would deal with medical emergencies, and whether the system could be hacked.

He added: 'Human beings don't like new things.

'They're afraid, and they let that fear make their decisions for them.

But if you give them a good safety track record, then they'll come around.'

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by shortgun(m): 7:34pm On Oct 14, 2017
too risky
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by TheMainMan: 7:35pm On Oct 14, 2017
A
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by Holywizard: 7:38pm On Oct 14, 2017
I neva see plane wey dem pack b4
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by Dani4tech(m): 7:39pm On Oct 14, 2017
Spreads mat... Ride on bro
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by Spylord48: 7:45pm On Oct 14, 2017
nawoah.. They should not render our pilots jobless please o
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by classicalhenry(m): 7:49pm On Oct 14, 2017
if this should come in handy to Nigerian government, i no enter
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by WizAkzy: 7:51pm On Oct 14, 2017
Biko i can't come and kill myself
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by newyorks(m): 7:52pm On Oct 14, 2017
That will be cool
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by GenghisAlexa1(m): 8:06pm On Oct 14, 2017
Yeh, pilots too.
Automation is gonna trigger Armaggedon
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 14, 2017
Sorry.. I won't fly

1 Like

Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by armadeo(m): 8:10pm On Oct 14, 2017
until its so normal that even an illiterate superstitious fella will be certain of it before i enter.
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by decatalyst(m): 8:13pm On Oct 14, 2017
The one wey grown and experienced pilot they commandeer sef dey crash not to talk of this...

The way I pick race when my ticket number is called for the fight grin grin

1 Like

Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by temblor1(m): 9:21pm On Oct 14, 2017
No difference compared to auto pilot commands.
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by Aquactic(m): 5:07am On Oct 15, 2017
Remember YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE.

Abeg leave me jare with my Range Rover. cool
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by maisauki: 2:31pm On Oct 15, 2017
my LEGWAGEN is stil very active
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by roqrules04(m): 2:48pm On Oct 15, 2017
No I won't fly
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by hahdeydohtun: 8:27pm On Oct 15, 2017
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by ayatt(m): 5:47pm On Oct 16, 2017
nawa oh
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by darkhorizon: 10:09pm On Oct 17, 2017
GenghisAlexa1:
Yeh, pilots too. Automation is gonna trigger Armaggedon
The fear of new things.
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by GenghisAlexa1(m): 10:53pm On Oct 17, 2017
darkhorizon:

The fear of new things.

I'm scared, for others. I know arduino and I code so I have 2fingers in the pie already.
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by Explorers(m): 5:43am On Oct 18, 2017
temblor1:
No difference compared to auto pilot commands.

Landing and taking off.
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by iamchybs(m): 6:01am On Oct 18, 2017
And what's the guarantee a psychopath won't hack, hijack and crash this automated plane?
Re: Would You Fly? Boeing Reveals Plans To Test A Self-flying Plane In 2018(Pics) by dfrost: 10:36am On Oct 18, 2017
No. (cc Explorers, this thread has been created earlier, right? Can't remember who though).

(1) (Reply)

Toilet Paper Made Of 22-carat GOLD Goes On Sale For Over N200 Million / MTN Compensates Customers For SIM Re-registration Saga - NGN6000! / How Good And Reliable Are Inverters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.