Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,124 members, 7,852,825 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 06:29 AM

1st Class Uniben Eng Graduate who Won Miss Heart Nigeria Ambassador Peagent - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 1st Class Uniben Eng Graduate who Won Miss Heart Nigeria Ambassador Peagent (859 Views)

Bianca Ojukwu Won Miss Druzhba At Miss Charm Pageant 1989, Russia (Throwback) / Throwback To The Exact Moment Agbani Darego Won Miss World, See Her Reaction / Venita Akpofure Is Darling Nigeria Ambassador (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1st Class Uniben Eng Graduate who Won Miss Heart Nigeria Ambassador Peagent by Nobody: 8:36pm On Oct 15, 2017
Don’t let go of integrity in the pursuit of your goals — Mercy Okoduwa

Published October 15, 2017

Mercy Okoduwa, 24, is an assistant graduate lecturer at the Kano State Polytechnic. She speaks about her career and other related matters

What is your work history?

I interned at Total E&P, between March and August 2015. I currently work as an assistant graduate lecturer at Kano State Polytechnic. I am also Miss Heart Nigeria Ambassador, 2017.

Why did you decide to pursue a career in academics?

I was posted to the School of Technology, Kano State Polytechnic, during my National Youth Service Corps and I was retained.

How do you juggle your job as a lecturer with your other commitments?

My careers are not really different because they are all based on developing and improving the lives of people. But I keep each aspect isolated from the other in order for me to be most effective.

How would you describe the journey so far?

It has been quite challenging and very exciting at the same time. Recently, a distant friend asked me what I gain from the charitable programmes that I am involved in, and I responded that I derive satisfaction from it. Then his reply was “Its because you’ve not experienced hunger.” At first, I found this statement to be demoralising but later, I saw it as a source of inspiration.

What are some of the challenges that you face and how do you surmount them?

From the onset, I expected obstacles and I have been rather steadfast in surmounting them. For instance, I had quite a hard time understanding and appreciating the culture of the northerners, but in the short period that I have been here, I have really acquainted myself with their culture. I now wear their local attire without feeling awkward. The other major challenge has been getting people who are willing to sponsor some of the projects I wish to embark on, but so far I have had reasons to be hopeful.

What did you have to do to make a first-class degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering?

I had nursed that ambition right from my freshman year, and I pursued that dream vigorously. Aside from the fact that I had the capacity, I was greatly inspired by my brother, Gabriel Okoduwa, who distinguished himself as the best graduating student in chemical engineering during his time. I am always proud to identify myself as a recipient of the prestigious MTN Foundation Science and Technology Scholarship, as well as the Chevron/Agbami Engineering and Medical Scholarship.

What advice do you have for youths who wish to emulate you and turn their passion into reality?

I strongly encourage the youths of today not to let go of their integrity in the pursuit of their life’s goals.

What are your career objectives?

I am totally committed to changing lives, and modeling which is something that I also do that provides me with a platform through which I can reach out to a larger audience.

Who are your role models and how have they influenced you?

I have always been inspired by the personality of Mother Theresa for her contributions to humanity. Studying her life, I had a strong conviction that the greatest good one can do is to be a voice for the downtrodden in the society. I also look up to the present German chancellor, Angela Merkel, who has shown that women can aspire to the highest political office in any country. Lastly, the exploits of the late Iranian-American mathematician, Maryam Mirzakhani, endeared me to mathematics and engineering, and this has proven to be most rewarding.

What personal traits would you attribute your achievements to?

I would say it is simplicity, determination, zealousness and strong personal discipline.

Is there any project set up by you to help the youth?

Presently, I am working on a borehole construction for the people of Nasarawa Local Government Area, Kano State, as part of my efforts to give back to the community. On the other hand, I intend to initiate series of programmes for the students of Kano State Polytechnic that will be geared towards teaching them how to dream big. One of my goals is to establish a non-governmental organisation which will concern itself with issues affecting women and children. It will also deal with issues pertaining to sexual and physical violence and most importantly, the lack of quality education, especially in the northern part of Nigeria.

Copyright PUNCH.

http://punchng.com/dont-let-go-of-integrity-in-the-pursuit-of-your-goals-mercy-okoduwa/

Re: 1st Class Uniben Eng Graduate who Won Miss Heart Nigeria Ambassador Peagent by forreelinc(m): 8:39pm On Oct 15, 2017
sad hmmm she no even fine sef
Re: 1st Class Uniben Eng Graduate who Won Miss Heart Nigeria Ambassador Peagent by Partnerbiz3: 8:44pm On Oct 15, 2017
Kano poly shaa..
Re: 1st Class Uniben Eng Graduate who Won Miss Heart Nigeria Ambassador Peagent by Nobody: 8:45pm On Oct 15, 2017
Partnerbiz3:
Kano poly shaa..

She graduated from University of Benin with first class in Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
Re: 1st Class Uniben Eng Graduate who Won Miss Heart Nigeria Ambassador Peagent by Kaxmytex(m): 8:46pm On Oct 15, 2017
brainz.... thanks to the dedication she gave to her studies
beauty.... thanks to the brainy photographer and the filter he/she used
Re: 1st Class Uniben Eng Graduate who Won Miss Heart Nigeria Ambassador Peagent by Partnerbiz3: 8:51pm On Oct 15, 2017
life2017:

She graduated from University of Benin with first class in Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
I know naa. Even if it was a "first from poly"?
I didn't mean to underrate her.
Again, Polys don't give first class--- that would have been a distinction.
Re: 1st Class Uniben Eng Graduate who Won Miss Heart Nigeria Ambassador Peagent by Ritajovy(f): 8:57pm On Oct 15, 2017
I am happy for you NNE. I am happy when i see girls excel in certain fields.
Re: 1st Class Uniben Eng Graduate who Won Miss Heart Nigeria Ambassador Peagent by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 15, 2017
Nice.
Re: 1st Class Uniben Eng Graduate who Won Miss Heart Nigeria Ambassador Peagent by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 15, 2017
Ritajovy:
Re: 1st Class Uniben Eng Graduate who Won Miss Heart Nigeria Ambassador Peagent by Ivimilly: 10:01pm On Oct 15, 2017
She doesn't look like a beauty queen to me
Re: 1st Class Uniben Eng Graduate who Won Miss Heart Nigeria Ambassador Peagent by Nobody: 4:26am On Oct 16, 2017
Ritajovy:
true

(1) (Reply)

Female Rapper Cardi B dumps His Boo Rapper offset / Hushpuppi Hospitalized & Undergoes Nose Surgery In Dubai Hospital [Photo] / 10 Real Facts About Adesua Etomi You Probably Didn't Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.