Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Igbos In Wolverine - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Igbos In Wolverine (3090 Views)

X-men Origins: Wolverine - Excellent Cinematography / The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language / Wolverine 2009 (May contain Spoilers) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos In Wolverine by beystwin: 12:12pm On Mar 12, 2010
Two mutant brothers, Logan and Victor, born 200 years ago, suffer childhood trauma and have only each other to depend on. Basically, they're fighters and killers, living from war to war through U.S. history. In modern times, a U.S. colonel, Stryker, recruits them and other mutants as commandos.
The brothers join the group and are sent to the team's first mission: Invade the headquarters of a diamond trafficking operation in Lagos, Nigeria, to retrieve a meteorite. Afterwards, Stryker and the team brutally interrogate people from a nearby village to learn where the meteorite was found. James is disgusted by the murders committed by his teammates and abandons the group.

Hollywood loves Nigeria.  grin
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by victorazy(m): 7:44pm On Mar 12, 2010
You got the story wrong. I Victor survived but Logan didn't make it, I still miss him "Igbokwenu, kwezuenu"
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by SisiKill1: 8:16am On Mar 13, 2010
They cast you as cannibals and ritual killers, yeah Hollywood really loves Nigerians.
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by vescucci(m): 11:11am On Mar 13, 2010
Are people that daft or I need to get off my high horse?
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by alleno: 9:35pm On Mar 14, 2010
How did this post make it to the home page? The poster must be the moderator.
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by obinna5000(m): 9:54pm On Mar 14, 2010
alleno:

How did this post make it to the home page? The poster must be the moderator.
NAIRALAND DON MAKE ME LAUGH OOOO!!!  grin  grin  grin cheesy

SO ANY HOLLYWOOD FILM WEY TALK ABOUT NIGERIA GO MAKE FRONT PAGE.  grin  grin grin
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by desktop: 11:16pm On Mar 14, 2010
^^^^i bow o besides we already treated this issue when the movie first came out.
Now that we are getting ready for x-men first class is when someone is just raising this??
<heavy hiss>

, next thread abeg.
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by Stallion84(m): 11:29pm On Mar 14, 2010
@ poster,
did u actually watch the movie and did u notice ow Nigerians were potrayed and treated? if u are actaully a tru Nigerian. u wont reason 'muttalably' like u just did.Hollywood koo Ojuelegbawood ni
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by scoro99(m): 12:28am On Mar 15, 2010
beystwin:

Two mutant brothers, Logan and Victor, born 200 years ago, suffer childhood trauma and have only each other to depend on. Basically, they're fighters and killers, living from war to war through U.S. history. In modern times, a U.S. colonel, Stryker, recruits them and other mutants as commandos.
The brothers join the group and are sent to the team's first mission: Invade the headquarters of a diamond trafficking operation in Lagos, Nigeria, to retrieve a meteorite. Afterwards, Stryker and the team brutally interrogate people from a nearby village to learn where the meteorite was found. James is disgusted by the murders committed by his teammates and abandons the group.

Hollywood loves Nigeria.  grin
guy u no try.

na film wey all men watch early 2009, u dey watch now,  grin
See, Nigeria was also mentioned in 'Avatar' and we have already discussed it on nairaland,
so no come talk about am early 2011,  tongue
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by vincent10(m): 7:31am On Mar 15, 2010
E clear say u no get work. Moderator abeg sanction this guy and urself for eleven months.
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by honeric01(m): 9:13am On Mar 15, 2010
Who's moderating the front page?
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by beystwin: 9:20am On Mar 15, 2010
Una de craze. big hisss tongue
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by babylishus: 10:55am On Mar 15, 2010
Is that really a big deal?

The portrayal wasn't even accurate, for goodness sake! So I ask, is it really a big deal?

(P.S just so you know 'THAT' infamous movie, District 9, got a couple of Oscar nominations, I hear grin That ought to make us Nigerians really proud! Hey, people, lighten up: we're in the movies!!! It beats being in the NEWS!)
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by mrtidy(m): 12:02pm On Mar 15, 2010
We are in the movies yes, but are we being portrayed as the Brilliant Legitimate Intelligent Nigerians with Great attitude that we are or as HOOKERS and CROOKS from some creepy FOURTH WORLD COUNTRY?! We should be careful what we celebrate. In DISTRICT 9 we're portrayed as hookers and hustlers, in XMEN we're portrayed as villagers engaged in stone trafficking, and in AVATAR we're just some remote part of the universe that some punk ass commander went for mission. so what's worth celebrating in all these?!!!
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by DoubleN(m): 1:41pm On Mar 15, 2010
Lol @ Poster!
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by babylishus: 4:45pm On Mar 15, 2010
Yep we are. So what? When Russia is portrayed in movies they are ususally dumb KGB agents or noveau riche touts. French portrayed as snobby, long nosed idiots. English as bufoons. And the list goes on and on.

No, its not to be celebrated but whats to be done? Ironically, most of the movies churned out of Hollywood are done by people who have never been out of their corner of the world. We have bigger problems than being portrayed as hookers and criminals (which, incidentally, is what we seem to be good at portraying by ourselves without any Hollywood movie).
We Nigerians make such a big to-do about being 'one in every 5 black people' in Africa then we're pissed when our 'sins' are displayed on TV? We like the good things of fame and not the bad?

If y'all don't like it, don't watch it or petition against it. I havent watched District 9 and won't bother going out to look for it.
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by oge4real(f): 6:00pm On Mar 15, 2010
Mtheeeeeewww!
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by latepa(m): 8:56pm On Mar 15, 2010
scoro99:

guy u no try.

na film wey all men watch early 2009, u dey watch now,  grin
See, Nigeria was also mentioned in 'Avatar' and we have already discussed it on nairaland,
so no come talk about am early 2011,  tongue

grin grin e good make you tell am now
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by Johnnny(m): 11:55am On Mar 16, 2010
babylishus:

Yep we are. So what? When Russia is portrayed in movies they are ususally dumb KGB agents or noveau riche touts. French portrayed as snobby, long nosed idiots. English as bufoons. And the list goes on and on.

No, its not to be celebrated but whats to be done? Ironically, most of the movies churned out of Hollywood are done by people who have never been out of their corner of the world. We have bigger problems than being portrayed as hookers and criminals (which, incidentally, is what we seem to be good at portraying by ourselves without any Hollywood movie).
We Nigerians make such a big to-do about being 'one in every 5 black people' in Africa then we're pissed when our 'sins' are displayed on TV? We like the good things of fame and not the bad?

If y'all don't like it, don't watch it or petition against it. I havent watched District 9 and won't bother going out to look for it.

I second that! GBAM!!!
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by Tcrack(m): 10:29pm On Mar 16, 2010
make una leava holywood alone abeg grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Igbos In Wolverine by Gtitan: 8:02am On Mar 18, 2010
To be honest I quite agree with the fact that X-Men Origins is kind of too old to be having as a discussion in 2010 however, there is also some logic in arguments that are raised here. I was part of the thread that discussed the District 9 movie and honestly, I don't think X-Men Origins is anything compared to the portrayals of Nigerians in District 9. Sorry but X-Men Origins did not portray Nigeria in anyway other countries have not been portrayed before. A Diamond smuggling cartel with armed black individuals and a rural setting with black Igbo people does not exactly mean that they have run down Nigeria or Nigerians in anyway. In fact I have seen this same portrayal of other countries in other movies.
In AVATAR, I am sorry I don't get the feeling of being just some remote part of the universe at all, to be honest I don't think these two movies did any harm to the image of Nigeria unlike District 9.

(1) (Reply)

Forever Yours Nigerian Movie / Your Best Hollywood Movie Of 2010 / See What Sile 12 Has Caused Now, I'm Not Happy With Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.