Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,603 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:39 PM

UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance (16372 Views)

Induction Of Rivers State University Theatre Arts 100-Level Students (Pics) / Induction Of Theatre Arts 100 Level Students Of UNIZIK. PICS / DELSU 100 Level Students Seen Undergoing Matriculation Ritual (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by Dapromzy333(m): 7:17am On Oct 21, 2017
The management of University of Ibadan (UI) has announced plans to withdraw 580 100 level students from the institution.

The University` Vice Chancellor, Professor Abel Olayinka, said this while lamenting over poor performance of the students.

Olayinka said 580 of the 2,961 students admitted into the University last year performed woefully in their first semester examination.

The Vice Chancellor said the affected students were those admitted when banned was placed on Post-UTME examination by the Nigerian Government las year.

He said the University could not assess the students; hence they were admitted into the university base on their JAMB score and O` Level results.

“The Senate of the University of Ibadan at its meeting held on Wednesday, 18 October, 2017, considered the results of the First Semester Examinations for the 2016/2017 Session. One major feature of the results was the noticeably poor performance of the 100 level students.

“From our records, 510 of the students out of the 2,961 posted a Cumulative Grade Point Average of less than 1.0. Kindly note that this is the minimum level of performance required to retain studentship here. In other words, 17.2 percent of the 100 level students would have to significantly improve their academic performance in order not to be advised to withdraw from the University at the end of the session,” Olayinka said in a statement.

The Vice Chancellor gave a breakdown of percentage of students with CGPA less than 1.0 in various departments as:

Faculty of Arts- 6.9%
Science-16%
Basic Medical Sciences-34.8%
Clinical Sciences-5.5%
Dentistry-7.1%
Public Health-45.8%
Forestry-33.3%
Social Sciences-8.3%
Education-15.4%
Veterinary Medicine-26.6%
Technology-20.9%
Law-2.4%, and
Pharmacy-12.9%.

Olayinka said, “As leaders of this University at this point in time, we have the onerous responsibility of bringing the best out of our students.

“For me as a person, it hurts very deeply when any student is advised to withdraw from the university on account of very poor academic performance. As you are aware, the pass mark in any of your courses is now 45 percent as against 40 percent hitherto. Secondly, Continuous Assessment now accounts for 40 marks out of the maximum 100 marks in each course.

“Moreover, the minimum number of units that you need to pass at the end of the 100 level is now 24 units, as against 20 units previously. All these taken together indicate that the standard is being improved. Students are expected to rise to the occasion by being more focused and always remember the primary reason why you are here.

“One of the measures being put in place, by Senate, is to strengthen our Continuous Assessment Policy. In this respect, there will be at least two tests or assignments conducted during this Semester. The three domains of cognitive, affective and psychomotor are to be taken into consideration in the determination of continuous assessment scores.

“The marks allotted to continuous assessment will be spread to reflect the totality of what students do and could include one or a combination of quizzes, conduct in and out of class, theatre, laboratory, class participation, group work, practical/field work, assignments, class attendance, presentations and tests. Moreover, a week has been set aside in the revised Academic Calendar for Continuous Assessment. This is the period from Monday, 6 November 2017 to Friday, 10 November, 2017.

“I hasten to add that the Senate has directed Heads of Departments to implement the strengthened Continuous Assessment Policy in the University. Deans of Faculties will monitor the level of compliance while the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) will coordinate,” he said.

As you are aware, parts of the second stanza on the University Anthem talks of 'Greatness won with honest toil'. Here it is only honest. hardwork that pays.

I implore you to work harder this Semester. I wish you all the best in the remaining few weeks before you start the end of Semes

http://www.solutionclass.com.ng/2017/10/ui-may-withdraw-580-100-level-students.html?m=1

lala

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by Fxmanager(m): 7:27am On Oct 21, 2017
Okay.
Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by DanielsParker(m): 7:29am On Oct 21, 2017
I see.

on a serious note, why can't students bend down and study? how can someone enroll for a degree programme in a higher institution and not get up to 1.00 GPA in the first semester of the programme?

Their As.ses should be kicked out.

17 Likes

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by oldfoolnigger(m): 7:49am On Oct 21, 2017
shocked How many come remain
Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by sunshineV(f): 8:32am On Oct 21, 2017
So Ibadan sef dey form slay queen?

I don't blame them, I blame those block headed niigas way they give block headed G,s admission
Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by SurePresident: 8:33am On Oct 21, 2017
K
Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by kebiArts(m): 8:34am On Oct 21, 2017
blame buhari....
Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by LordIsaac(m): 8:34am On Oct 21, 2017
Leaders of tomorrow!

3 Likes

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by GREATESTPIANIST: 8:34am On Oct 21, 2017
Kids wake up!!!! Study.hard!!! Hard work.does not kill!!

6 Likes

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by ednut1(m): 8:34am On Oct 21, 2017
Person no go sabi book but his parents would force him to apply for medicine. Smh

21 Likes

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by Edoi(m): 8:35am On Oct 21, 2017
Hmmm
Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 21, 2017
When JAMB is pegging cut off mark as 120.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by rosalieene(f): 8:36am On Oct 21, 2017
Hmmmm
Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by karzyharsky(m): 8:36am On Oct 21, 2017
giv dem second chance
Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by Akinaukwa: 8:36am On Oct 21, 2017
I trust my alma mata when it comes to setting a standard. The affected should simply go back to the drawing board if they still want to acquire university education. That is one big disadvantage of acquiring results thru shabby means.

12 Likes

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by Ojim07(m): 8:37am On Oct 21, 2017
students always like shortcut to success, a student that can not read his/her book atleast for two hours in a day is that one a student

4 Likes

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by cashlurd(m): 8:37am On Oct 21, 2017
If done, would boost the morale of students to perform better and the trust of parents on the school's ability to give their wards he best education.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by kay29000(m): 8:37am On Oct 21, 2017
Wow! That't almost a quarter of all the year one students. They need to give them a second chance. I remember my first year in unilag, after partying and chasing girls up and down the first year, my eyes opened when i saw my GP at 1.5. I became serious in year two, and got so many 5's in many courses...i sha graduated with 2.9GP. I try small...when i first saw that 1.5GP, one of my friend advised me to drop out...thank God i didnt listen.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by tstx(m): 8:37am On Oct 21, 2017
Sad

1 Like

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by cyndy1000(f): 8:38am On Oct 21, 2017
May God help them to sit up n make progress. it's not easy after all the struggle, write WACE, Jamb n finally u saw de four walls of the University only for you to be withdrawn. it's so heart breaking all your efforts going down de drain. I can't imagine them starting all over again.
Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by sonnie10: 8:40am On Oct 21, 2017
School is not for everybody. Some are better off learning a trade

3 Likes

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by begwong: 8:43am On Oct 21, 2017
That's what you get when you drop merits for special list admissions. UI of all schools
Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by jstbeinhonest(m): 8:45am On Oct 21, 2017
Result of the Ministry of Education's stupid plan to scrap Post-UTME last year

4 Likes

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by nnamdismart25(m): 8:46am On Oct 21, 2017
Students should be given time to adopt to the environment not judging them only with their first semester results ,I remember during my days my first semester result was more than poor but after that semester my results became wonderful, so mr Senate give them the needed time and don't attribute it to the stopage of post utme Biko, most of them will do better from their second semester.

1 Like

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by jstbeinhonest(m): 8:50am On Oct 21, 2017
nnamdismart25:
Students should be given time to adopt to the environment not judging them only with their first semester results ,I remember during my days my first semester result was more than poor but after that semester my results became wonderful, so mr Senate give the needed time and don't attribute it to the stop of post utme Biko, most of the will do better from their second semester.

Are they the first set of 100level students in the school?

11 Likes

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by FunkyAlhaji2015: 8:50am On Oct 21, 2017
The same students they want to withdraw will get 1st class in foreign universities. Something is fundamentally wrong with our educational system. When you have over 300 students in one class, why will they not fail? No close student teacher interaction, lack of adequate evaluation, poor learning tool etc. Most lecturers want students to fail for fun.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by Miraxzeebility(m): 8:51am On Oct 21, 2017
UI will never change. School way dey form posh with block heads as students. After graduating with a first class I decided to seek a better challenge and ABU Zaria really Gave me overdose of challenges(masters).
Who ever quotes me and spew trash this is me doing this to u in D spiritual realm.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by Afoochekk1914(m): 8:52am On Oct 21, 2017
Oau chemistry 101 results stats!! What a bloody result!

1 Share

Re: UI May Withdraw 580 100 Level Students For Poor Academic Performance by nnamdismart25(m): 8:52am On Oct 21, 2017
jstbeinhonest:

Are they the first set of 100level students in the school?
my dear am talking out of experience

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Schools Are Still Selling Nursing Form? / FG Implements ASUU Agreement, Earmarks N1.3tr For Universities / Futo: A Black Friday!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.